Register now to get rid of these ads!

Flame Throwing WITHOUT exhaust?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ne14007, Oct 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ne14007

ne14007

So I have a question. You always see these guys at car shows in these flame thrower contest shooting flames out of their tail pipes and what not. I hear its pretty bad for your engine. Has anyone ever seen or heard of someone doing a flamethrower setup without using the exhaust, or using it, in a way that wouldnt harm the engine?

2. wristpin

wristpin

propane, good 4 startin forest fires.

looks better at night

3. I can almost picture the headlines now :rolleyes:

4. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Napalm would do the trick. Smells good in the morning, too...:D

5. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ok, a real answer for you. Ya gotta expect a smartass answer or two though, 'cause flamethrowers generally aren't considered to be traditional.

I think the only reason some say flamethrowers hurt the engine, is because you have to choke the crap out of it to make 'em work...which can wash the oil from the cylinders...not good for lubrication. There are injector-type flamethrowers though, that don't require the engine to be choked...the fuel gets injected directly into the tailpipe.

I've now ruined my already tenuous position on the Hamb, by helping you and admitting that I know anything at all about flamethrowers.

6. BillSchmid

BillSchmid
    from Ohio

I have heard of people using propane, but have never seen it in person to say how well it works.

7. i have tried different setups over the years and the old way is the safest and i have almost 60,000 miles on my engine with no ill affects i look in side every other time i change plugs with a borascope

8. Model T1

Model T1

I'm sure all that extra raw gas is not helping your engine. But even if it actually helped, I gotta ask why? Why have something that shoots flames out that burns paint, expensive tail lights, and scares old women, little kids and dogs? If it made the car go faster I could see that.:D
    Most local shows and even Turkey Run outlawed it. I still don't think they do it there.

9. shinysideup

shinysideup
    BANNED
    from ruskin, fl

Flamethrower idea is gay as it gets but could serve a purpose at carshows roasting those silly dolls and stuffed animals.

10. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

They are all gay :D Whenever you see guys who shoot flames from their tailpipes run away and tell yourself "I will never be that stupid or gay". :)

11. ol'chevy

ol'chevy

I have run the hell out of mine since 2006 with no ill effects. I replaced a head gasket 2 years ago and had no scratches, wear or anything. I could still see hone marks, so I call BULLSHIT on the washdown theory.

12. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

They are good for getting tailgaters off your ass,I have wanted to put them on a car of mine for that reason but never got around to it.

13. ehdave

ehdave

I'd love em for the same reason but it would probably land you in jail or at least court pretty damn quick!

14. Deuces

Deuces

Flame throwers don't do nothing for me.....

15. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

I know of a car that has the most god awuful propane fueled flame throwers on an otherwise cool car. Its ridiculous, looks like 2 Charmglow Gas Grills hangin off the back bumper. IMO ruins a cool car AND they dont even really work that good. You look at it and think "this thing could start a city block on fire" and then, not much happens. Not enough to justify the time and expense anyway. Just my opinion but I think it would be better without it but to each his own.

Sent from my Droid powered Samsung Galaxy S

16. Jamoke

Jamoke

Pretty common to see some POS Rusted roach shooting flames because that’s all it can do, the only consolation wound be is that it would burn to the ground doing it .

17. I love flamethrowers......in Army movies!!! Oh yeah.....in GREASE! That Merc was cool. Pretty LAME on cars. IMO

18. ne14007

ne14007

Haha, I'm getting the general consensus. Thanks guys. :)

19. WINNER!! I hate those damn dolls! and even worse, I hate what it says about the old guy that has them all over his beautiful car.
    You will usually see a wrinkled up old sidekick that makes him put them damn dolls all over cause it looks cute and she saw them at the craft show she made him walk all over the day before. gggrrrr, have some balls man!

20. fts55

fts55
    from guthrie ok

Flamethrowing is traditional!

21. Jamoke

Jamoke

your one confused young lad

22. tudorkeith

tudorkeith

I likr flamethrowers just fine as long as they are on someone elses car.

23. I did love that smell but it was usually followed by the smell of burnt pork. :eek:

Oh Ricky by the way your rep is safe with me, not that it makes any difference in the whole scheme of things.

So is lighting farts if you are a nerd.

24. BLAKE

BLAKE

Not traditional...? Really...? I think folks are confusing 'traditional' with being 'played out'... because they seem pretty traditional to me.

[​IMG]

25. Leevon

Leevon
    from Nixa, MO

How about a zombie cry-baby doll holding a working flamethrower. Now that would be something to see, traditional or not.

26. Blake,
    I will admit that I did it when I was a kid once. I think that it is a little adolescent for most.

I don't think that they are a bad thing, maybe a little lame. The raven actually has a pic that he posted about 6 or 7 years ago of me lighting my cigerette with one. I can never get him to dig it out. I guess that it is proof that alcohol and flame throwers is not a good idea. :eek:

27. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

sorry man, but that can't be a real traditional photograph. No ink, no cuffed Levi's, no vans, no wallet chains, no piercings, no black T-shirts with speed shop logos, chic is not borderline obese or wearing a corset, need I go on?
    And call that cool little jet engine style flame that makes the car looks like it might possibly be futuristic rocket powered traditional? I mean Jesus, we all know that traditional flames should shoot out of half gallon paint cans welded to your tailpipes and look like Marines in Vietnam burning Charlie out of the jungle!
    Paul

28. Though, I have seen people shooting flames out of their exhaust pipes, I have yet to see anyone shoot them out of their what nots. I suspect that burnt hair and blistering, in addition to the pain inflicted, to the what not, is why the practice is rarely seen. I understand it is popular with the the Japanese punk rodders.

29. davidwilson

davidwilson
    from Tennessee

put zoomies on - they're flame throwers

30. 4t7flat

4t7flat

Any event that advertises a Flame contest,or Burn out contest,I stay away from.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.