Register now to get rid of these ads!

air fuel ratio gauge - which one ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 31Vicky with a hemi, Oct 1, 2012.

1. Looking for a set up that's accurate and economical.
    Any recommendations.

2. Ya know I have never used one. Not that I am MR Supertune, or even a technophobe, I am just too cheap to buy one.

Some of the fellas on here are pretty high tech no doubt someone will help you out and I will learn something in the process.

3. squirrel

squirrel

I have an Innovate LC-1 wideband controller and sensor connected to a cheap digital panel meter in my 55. You can program it to out put a voltage between 0 and 5v however you want...a common trick is to have it read 1.2v for a 12:1 afr, 1.6 for 16:1, etc. you just ignore the decimal point. Or use the gage they sell with the numbers and the bar graph, or make up your own display. I've been meaning to find an old old millameter and put a resistor on it and program it to do what I want, or make a bar graph chip drive some incandescent bulbs..but I haven't got around to it yet.

4. detroitboy27

detroitboy27
    from katy, tx

AEM makes a pretty good unit, the only bad thing is that you can not data log with it. Stay away from the cheap narrow-band that you can get at autozone, it is a waste of money. A decent wide-band is going to run you around 150.00

5. squirrel

squirrel

yup.

This is the one I got, notice it does not have a display.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/300670294798

I have done some datalogging with it, using a megasquirt 1 box and laptop.

6. detroitboy27

detroitboy27
    from katy, tx

7. bambbrose

bambbrose
    from So. Utah

Regardless of the brand you choose, do not get one that is narrowband.

Also, I would try to pick one that uses the common OEM sensors that are in abundance such as the Bosch units.

The older NTK sensors are extremely expensive ($250+), and most wideband displays can only work with one or the other sensor type.

Also the AEM brand uses a Bosch sensor, but they put their own plug on it, so if you need a new sensor guess who you got to buy it from?...

8. squirrel

squirrel

also note that you need to have a laptop with an RS-232 (serial) port, or get a USB to serial adapter, to do any configuring of the system.

this is high tech shit here.

9. Now let's say a fella wanted a 2 channel unit?
    Would it be just as easy to add a second wideband with a switch for left or right unit?

10. bambbrose

bambbrose
    from So. Utah

High tech is using a bluetooth unit, no wires necessary and readout on your phone using the Torque app in the Android marketplace.

11. Have that covered, as long as it comes with software

Data log capability would be very helpful, after the tune is established I'll just need to keep an eye on it.

12. scrappybunch

scrappybunch
    from nj

Last edited: Oct 1, 2012
  13. squirrel

squirrel

You would need two controllers, the controller needs to be calibrated to work with that particular wideband sensor. When you disconnect the sensor and power up the controller, it loses calibration.

14. squirrel

squirrel

12:1 at wot isn't too bad....what bothers me is mine running around at 12.5 to 13 to one at cruise most of the time. But it runs fine.

15. mohr hp

mohr hp
    from Georgia

I have the Auto Meter built into one gage deal at about $300. I put bungs in both car's collectors so i can swap from car to car. After driving with it awhile, I cant believe how wonky a carburetor can be and still "feel" right. Money well spent, as it's paying for itself in gas mileage.

16. BLAINE 816

BLAINE 816

I have the AEM unit on my 32 with a 471 and Edelbrock 750 carb.It sure made it easy to dial in this combo.

17. Old Guy

Old Guy

Two words of caution when you get one.
    Never leave it in the exhaust pipe without the controller connected and powered up.
    Leaded gas will dramatically shorten sensor life.

18. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

Innovate Motorsports is one of the better brands. Not cheap. Watch out for cheap counterfeits.

Ago

19. wayne-o

wayne-o

I have an Innovate with the digital gauge and wide band sensor. Works great. About $200

20. Dane

Dane
    from Soquel, CA

OK, I was going to ask if anyone has actually used one to fine tune a carb. I'd be nice to hear some success/no success stories in drivability, HP and fuel ecnomy?

21. WOW, I'm surprised that this "Traditional" group has that many folks admitting to using one - Good for you guys!

22. Pretty easy to do with todays fuel. The alcohol makes plug reading a little tricky. I am afrtaid that as time goes on we will all be using fuel ratio readers. Good thread a place to brain storm and let everyone know what is available, what works and what is junk.

Hell you should be just as pleased that I have admited that I haven't. :D

Sorry I didn't want to be left out. :eek:

23. squirrel

squirrel

There's not much tunability in a normal holley carb as far as off idle/cruise mixture.

And quadrajets work pretty well.

24. squirrel

squirrel

we don't all keep our heads buried in the traditional sand ALL the time

:eek:

25. i run a autometer wide band. the gauge is a 3/4 sweep 10-18 works great. comes with the bung and a cap if you want to move it to the other side just get a new bung and use the cap. it also is data logger compatible. if it is going in the blown car in your avatar i can tell you how i hooked up alchohol inj. on my hemi. it triggers off the map sensor hooked into the msd. with the a/f gauge it makes tuning a blown engine a breeze. there is no reason to have a lean or rich condition ever again. remember you get what you pay for. once you have one you will wonder how you went so long with out. it will pay for itself over time just by the fuel savings with a properly tuned engine.

26. oj

oj

I use an Innovate LM-2, 2 channel. Its is handheld and will datalog to a chip and download it to your laptop and it comes with software for graphing etc.

27. metalshapes

metalshapes

I have an older LM-1.

I absolutely love it...

I think I'd like to upgrade it to have a throttle position sensor and a boost sensor, so everything can be put in graphs on a laptop ( i'll also will have to get a laptop...:rolleyes:)

I wish I'd had one back when I was racing for points every other weekend.

But then again, my buddies who I was racing against would have had one too...:D

28. Old Guy

Old Guy

You will be surprised to find out how far off you are when you think you have a well tuned carb.
    I have a TechEdge which will data log and also has RPM, two 5V and two thermocouple inputs. Not cheap but a real good unit. They have a pretty good price range of different models, depending what bells and whistles you want.
    I have no experience with the Innovate stuff, but on the Megasquirt forum I have seen quite a few people having problems with them.

29. Actually wouldn't surprise me at all.
    I was looking for one as a permanent install, and still may be.... but,

The handheld full data logger could come in real handy