Register now to get rid of these ads!

Falcon Convertible Dual Exhaust

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by haroldd1963, Oct 1, 2012.

1. haroldd1963

haroldd1963
    from Peru, IL

Does anyone have a 1964-1965 Ford Falcon Convertible with dual exhaust? If so, could you post pictures of your system?

With the extra under car cross brace, there isn't alot of room left to run dual exaust.

2. Without getting real exspensive, straight back is about all you can do, worked for me on a '63,,,,,

3. I did the same thing on my '64 Falcon Futura but I sold the car a few years ago so I can't help with photos. HRP

4. haroldd1963

haroldd1963
    from Peru, IL

Here is a picture of the underside. The single exhaust is pretty small, and it shares the center tunnel with the driveshaft.

Attached Files:

5. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

From what I remember when I worked at a Ford dealer in 64, the Sprints only had a single exhaust. The convertible is further complicated by the subframe being beefed up with added supports that limit space for pipes to run back.

I have heard, but never confirmed, that some guys used the dual exhaust system off of a 65-66 Mustang and slightly modified it to fit. Wish I could offer more help, but that is all I have.

Don

6. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

I'm in the same boat with my '63. I have long tube headers and my buddy gave me a Mustang X pipe. Really no choice but to run straight up against the support plate. Not real good for ground clearance, especially if you want to lower the car.

Sorry I have no pics because I had to drop the exhaust to remove the transmission yesterday.

7. haroldd1963

haroldd1963
    from Peru, IL

Bump to the top for ideas from the night time crowd.

8. NMCarNut

NMCarNut
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As you noticed there is only clearance for a pipe on the right side of the driveshaft. You can cut back the left convertible floor brace, fabricate and weld in an end similar to the one on the right brace, and fabricate a wider plate to bridge the gap between the braces. You would have to reroute the fuel line and at least shield the brake line plus do some tweeking on the emergency brake lever, but at that point you would then be able to run a pipe on both sides of the driveshaft. Otherwise you will be forced to run under the supports, not a good ground clearance situation.
    One of the reasons I sold my 63 . . .

Attached Files:

9. NMCarNut

NMCarNut
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Probably should have included a pic to better show about where to cut the brace:

Attached Files:

10. JEM

JEM

This is what the comparable space looks like in a '65 Mustang convertible (this one plumbed for EFI and a T5 with a 9in in back):

[​IMG]

11. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Is it possible to put holes through the bulkhead and pass the exhaust pipes through the bulkhead instead of through the tunnel?

12. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

the convertibles ,63-65,are all the same.falcon,and comet.

13. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

had a buddy with one of them several moons ago and i believe he ran his pipes under the floor. i remember one problem, when he put a 351 in it he had to do some grinding on the (stock) exhaust manifold to clear the steering box. wasn't necessary with 260-289-302.