Register now to get rid of these ads!

Worlds fastest Commer...?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Commer, Aug 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lonestar395

lonestar395
    from Australia

Douglas- Commer 730a.JPG

Muller, here is another view of the Inverted Commer, I cut a straight 4 Inches out of the roof height, 2 1/2 Inches out of the rear window and moved the window down some for better proportions...

2. Spot on, takes away the phone booth look!

Tested Eastwood's DIY powder paint kit and for smaller things it seems to do the job just fine.

First I tried on a piece of scrap metal, just cleaned it off and gave it some solid red powder.
    First lesson learned: You need a lot of light when you spray the powder, otherwise you don't see where there's a thinner coat cause the powder is so matt. Orange peel...

Second attempt, this time a tube and "Crome". Lookin good, but I should have tried some clear on top of it. Instead I used the "Translucent red" a little bit like candy. Came out nice, but to find the limits I went for a third coat. Clear.
    The last picture shows what happend. The two layer paint isolated the tube so it never went electrostatic enough.
    Too little powder gives this orange peel effect. (When orange peel becomes popular, I'll be the King!)

Attached Files:

3. 42inter

42inter
    from Australia

Hi Toni,
    Turns told me I had to check out your build on here.
    It's as awesome as he said it would be! Theres some well thought out engineering inside those rails, the motor sounds sweet, I can't wait to see how you go with the chop.
    Lone Star is a good source of info, just pick his brains he's like a gold mine of sheet metal information, and a little bit of a genius to boot. Rarer still he's got Commer experience:D!

Cheers, Scotty.

4. Hi Scotty

Thanks for the nice comments!
    My project is just a platform for all my ideas I have been carrying since I got my first car. Also a way to see how far you can get with a limited budget and normal tools and skills. This is my first build...
    In one word: Curiosity.

Cheers

5. Now the the right fender is also ready for glass treatmant, just waiting for my turn signals to show up so I can fit them nice and tight.

In the meanwhile I played with a designtrick my friend 40StudeDude here on HAMB used on his outstanding Cadillac build...
    Thanks for the inspiration, Roger!

And don´t sand too long with a heavy electric sander...:eek:

Attached Files:

6. Rat Rod Roach

Rat Rod Roach
    from Aurora CO.

Hi Toni,
    The build is going well, wish you were closer, I could learn a lot. I keep pushing for my next trip over there...:eek:

What happen... you get in a fight with a porky pine ??? :D

Roach

7. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Wee-eell-ll, you are certainly welcome, but I studied the pix and I didn't recognize any "designtrick" of mine there...please enlighten me, and the rest of the world while you're at it...!!!

The truk is lookin' good...

R-

8. It's on the inside of the glove compartment doors left hinge...
    No, just kidding. :eek:

It's a mix of your peak that runs from the side of the headlight and that peak on the hood and trunk on the Caddy that gave me the idea for those peaks over the headlights.
    Art Deco or a 3-D scallop or whatever you want to call it.
    Just came over me...:rolleyes:

Any new threads from you side?

Take care

9. Ha ha, it was a fight with a sander. Too heavy and too long.
    Doctor called "tenis elbow" I have never played tenis.
    Can't even spell tenis... :D

10. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Oh, OK, guess I missed that...but thanx for the kudos.

No, no new threads, from me anyway, but I am about to start on the '60 Chevy two wagon I have...it's a total re-do/rebuild and I have a 454" big block waiting for it...Dan and I sold the '60 Pontiac nine-passenger station wagon we redid last winter, back in March...the new owner loves it and has been having a ball with it... maybe I'll start a thread on the '60...

R-

11. Lookin' forward to that, Roger. :D

Got my "Turn Indicators" from UK and testfitted them.
    Looks... :eek: very Brittish indeed, chaps!
    A little bit Marty Feldmanish...

Attached Files:

12. Rat Rod Roach

Rat Rod Roach
    from Aurora CO.

Toni... looking good.... they look real close to the one's on my Morris, Brittish indeed..lol

Roach

13. Been working with the fenderplugs to get then as smooth as possible, before the fibreglass is applied.
    If you want to do everything by yourself, be prepared to do all the mistakes that's included in that process... :confused:

Don't lay rattle can paint first and "real" car paint on top... :(
    Don't spray too much paint on one spot.
    Don't think you can judge the viscosity of the paint the way Chip Foose do, unless you are a pro...
    ...and so on!

But tomorrow the work with the molds starts!
    Two halfes with dividers, piece of cake on YouTube... ;)

Used a door window channel to copy the form on the fender to the cardboard.

A lot of wax on and wax off...

Attached Files:

14. Between all X-mas preparations I managed to take my first stumbeling steps in the world of glass fibering(!).

5 times wax and 2 times release agent and 3 times glass fibre matting. 450gr/m2.
    Should be enough for the mold. There will be some reinforcements added too, but I ran out of time...
    <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Attached Files:

15. Ta-daa!
    First fender out of the mould!

Don't get me wrong, steel is real and I'm a true sheet metal guy, fibreglass is... cheating, in my book. (Sorry all Corvette fans!) But I'm too curious too learn how to do that.
    Too!

Attached Files:

16. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Looking good!

17. seatex

seatex

Vehhhhhry interesting.......................

18. And finally the second fender came unwillingly out of its mold...
    Got some "wrinkels" in the gelcoat though. Didn't see it when I worked with it. Just came out like that. Used Acetone to keep the brush soft between the sessions.
    Anybody know what that could be?

Anyhow, now its time for some real work! The bed! In steel!!!

Attached Files:

19. SwedeVedette

SwedeVedette

Really interesting project, cheers from Uppsala

20. Thanx SwedeVedette.

Iv'e started looking backwards to the bed or "hood".
    I wanna make a bed with a more round shape, to match the rest of the truck. Not like grandma's bathtub but just a little to soften the corners a little bit.

First attempt with cardboard and Windows Words...

Attached Files:

21. linkstar69

linkstar69

Nice proportions, really looks like a fun little truck you're putting together there.

22. I like the side profile with the cardboard bed.
    The chrome wheels really suit the old truck.

23. battersea boys

battersea boys
    from surrey

I,d chop it 3 inches and it will be perfect great job btw..............

24. Thanks.

Will be 2" to start with, but I have to check the proportions, see what the eye says...

25. It's got the right "attitude"

26. Flowmeister, I really like your truck, awesome work so far!

27. dad-bud

dad-bud

Cool looking build - lots of pics over a long time - congrats Tony, and keep up the good work.
    Cheers.

28. That's some crazy engineering!!!

29. Thanks man, and the same to you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.