Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1950 3100 Truck Project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by shadams, Mar 21, 2011.

1. shadams

shadams

Pulled everything out of the garage today to clean and rearrange. Filled a few more holes yesterday but nothing pic worthy. But today I took a few overall shots. Man I cant wait to get this thing done!!!!!

Rinsed it off again and blew everything out. Amazing how dirty it gets just sitting there.

[​IMG]

The whole damn truck all in one shot..

[​IMG]

Laid it all together, almost looks like its back together!

[​IMG]

Awww shiiittt. Crusin......oh wait....sorry, got carried away. And yes, I made engine noises....

[​IMG]

2. daddio211

daddio211

Turn those white letters to the inside... Unless you're running it at the NASCAR track. :D

3. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

^^ agreed lol. regardless, this is a bitchin build man. keep it up, also if you need some original parts shoot me a pm. i have 2 guys who have been a HUGE help with my 59 apache. im sure they would have anything you need at really good prices. l8r - shane

4. shadams

shadams

Ha! Yea I went back and forth a bunch. But I like the white letters out in most cases. Besides, they are just temp anyway till I can afford some white walls.

And grenade, I have pretty much everything, but what I dont have (front bed panel, bed cross rails and sill, headlight buckets) they are hard to find og in good shape so I'll probably have to buy them new. But if they have em, shoot me a pm...

5. 4msfam

4msfam

I kind of like it as a convertible! :) Great work.. on the home stretch! What size tires are those? I like the stagger...

6. rodzz2010

rodzz2010
    1. A-D Truckers

Looks Great, going through the same on a 55 1st in my garage, what I would give for a lift.

7. shadams

shadams

215/65-15 front 255/70-15 rear

Yep, home stretch, now I just need to come up with a wheel barrow full of cash for paint materials.

Yeah, a lift would be nice for sure...

Last edited: Aug 22, 2012
  8. Nice build, just read it all! Getting some great ideas for my own 50 3100 that I just bought.:cool:

9. Lookin' good,keep up the good work.

You need to work on that panel fit though.......:rolleyes:

10. shadams

shadams

Wife and I got the cab back on, with a little red neck ingenuity I might add. First I clamped some 2x4s onto the frame rails, lifted and sat one side of the cab on, then little by little slid it across, then tiled it forward then back to remove the 2x4's and it was on!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So I am going to get the inner fenders cut and put on, then start assembling it all, making whatever adjustments I need. Then eventually tear it back down and get ready for blasting and body work.

11. oldman2

oldman2

All I can say is you got a good wife, treat her good. Look forward to the reassemble pics.....Jim

12. shadams

shadams

Thats for sure. Dont know what I'd do without her. Anyway, I cant wait to get this thing going dammit....

13. That thing is looking good. I was just under mine fixing the clutch linkage and see I have LOTS of body work to attend to. Wondering if I should just find myself a new cab... but I digress - you did a great job getting yours back into shape!

14. shadams

shadams

In hindsight I could have just stayed with what I had, considering all I had to do with this one. The only plus is I made $300 buying this cab/fenders/bed and selling the others, and the fenders were a lot straighter so it worked out ok.

The other thing is it looks like the truck needs to come down a couple more inches. But I will let it settle out first and see. I also appear to have enough tire clearance for a little lower as well. We'll see...

15. Looking good brother! It's all down hill from here......right? :)

16. shadams

shadams

I sure hope so. Got one inner fender cut for the suspension. I am looking for some rubber sheet to make fillers for inside around the suspension. I cut it a little big for access and need to fill it in. I also ordered a new fuel pump, filter, lines and fittings so I can work on firing up the engine. On the hunt for trans cooler lines next....

17. RamJet1

RamJet1

I don't know if you get into San Antonio proper too often, but S. A. Belt and Pulley stocks rubber sheet. Good to see your truck coming along.

Saturday night is Hot Rod Night at Soda Pop's, and there is a swap meet that morning at KB Speed's grand opening on 37535 IH 10 West in Boerne. All my good stuff isn't running, but I like to check it out anyway. Maybe I'll catch you at one or the other.

18. shadams

shadams

Yea, saw the KB swap and hot rod night. Prob at least go to hot rod night, if not both.

19. shadams

shadams

Welp, cut the other inner fender then decided I was going to try and partially assemble the front end but its a game of which comes first. Second, the inner fenders sit much closer together than I had anticipated so I dont think my rubber filler idear is going to work. The camaro frame is quite a bit wider so the inners sit further in as compared to the frame rails. I keep finding areas where it needs to be trimmed and I hope there is some metal left when I am done.

I also ran my fuel lines and installed a filter, went with -8an aeroquip socketless hose and fittings, dont let them fool you, they are NOT easy to fully seat, but I guess thats easier then crimping ends on. Bought a fram canister fuel filter that is a lot bigger than I thought it was going to be and seems a bit overkill, but got it in place. Need to figure out how to get -8an line to fit on the fitting of my edelbrock carb. Reducer? replacement carb nipple?

20. shadams

shadams

So I finally worked up the nerve to put the driver side door on and it fit like a glove, opens and closes without a hitch.

[​IMG]

Here is my over the top fram filter and aeroquip line.

[​IMG]

Pass inder fender cut and new fuel pump/lines. Have since cut a little more for fuel line clearance. I plan on running the fuel line up over the trans and in the back of the engine to the carb instead of up the front.

[​IMG]

Drivers inner fender, pretty much a straight shot from the column hole to the steering gear, will probably run a double d and stock rag joint. Havent really thought about it much yet....

[​IMG]

Now I know where I need to mount a crossmember to support the front end.

[​IMG]

Radiator will be very close to engine it looks like..wish I hadnt given away the og one so I could use it for mock up..

[​IMG]

Pulled it all back apart and set up the fenders for rust protection, still using rustoleum rusty metal primer.

[​IMG]

Done, after that I sprayed them with rustoleum leak seal, looks nice and should protect them well.

[​IMG]

Same with running boards..

[​IMG]

And then put it back together grill and all. Only used enough bolts to hold it together, gotta take it back apart to sandblast the inners and rad support.

[​IMG]

Taking vacation time next week so I can relax and work on the truck a bit more. Plan on ordering some bed parts this week and going to buy lots of sand, time to do that shit again. Not too much longer!!!!!!!

21. Getting closer all the time! Keep up the good work!

22. Coach529

Coach529

Awesome build!!

23. oldman2

oldman2

Nice progress, thanks for posting...Jim

24. Yeah the first place to look for rust on that series chevy truck is behind that kick panel and where the fron fenders bolt to cab and some can be real bad there.. usually a dry western cab is ok there..

25. shadams

shadams

Yep, your is coming along too...

Thanks...

Thanks for keeping an eye on my build, I know you'll chime in if I am screwing the pooch.

Hey, I was just checking out your inventory of goodies, what are the odds. Anyway yea this one had its share of rust. IF I ever do this again I will damn sure know where to look...

26. shadams

shadams

So the pass side door doesn't fit.....funny, I wasn't worried about that side since I didnt have to replace the cowl, but the door jam is too narrow and the door drags and binds up on the lower rear door jamb. The gaps in the front of the door are also pretty tight so I cant move the door forward. I guess I welded the bottoms of the jams too close together, or the door got wet and grew. But I am screwed. I hacked on the door even though I knew that wasn't the problem and made it worse.

Any tips on fixing that kind of problem lemme know...

On a side note, I got the bed sides cleaned up, should have my bed parts tomorrow so I can assemble the bed. Hopefully that will get my mind off the clusterfuck I created on the pass door.

27. Need pictures before I can advise.

28. shadams

shadams

29. A port-a-power can move the upper door gaps some, the the lower door gaps are serious. You may need to cut the door pillar post from the rocker panel and open up the gap. Take some measurements from the drivers door jamb and see how far off you are.

30. shadams

shadams

I knew in the back of my mind that I was going to have to re-do that lower pillar right after I did it. Should have listened to my gut. Oh well. I will get it fixed in time. Going to put it off a while though. Thanks for the advice, again, ha!