Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone ever use Tornell bias tires?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fleetside66, Dec 27, 2007.

1. fleetside66

fleetside66

I'm looking at these bias tires (Tornell brand) sold by a company called Performance Plus & was wondering if anyone has used these. The nice part is (it seems, anyway) is that they don't need tubes. They're 6 ply (light truck tires) & go for about $90.00 a pop. I intend to go with a 16X5 wheel. Any feedback would be appreciated.

2. VAPHEAD

VAPHEAD
    BANNED

I put some on the "Ricky Lakester"
    looked good,never drove the car.
    Never planned on it riding like a Cad anyway....

Attached Files:

3. More info on those? Where can you find them?

4. SlamCouver

SlamCouver
    from Brazil, IL

mine didnt need tubes but had to put them in anyways to fit the rim. i have them on mine and got em for 65 bucks a pop.

5. Info? Details?

6. SlamCouver

SlamCouver
    from Brazil, IL

Hey there Tman I went to acouple local tire dealers and they all carried them but they refer to them as trailer tires "biasply" just isnt modern enough for cars anymore. mine are 8 ply and look the part.

here is a crappy picture of my ride in progress

please excuse the rust. im in mock up stage.

Attached Files:

7. zibo

zibo
    from dago ca

I;ve been using 6.00/16LT's and 7.50/16LT's on my rpu too.
    They look bitchin, bigger and wider than non-LT tires.
    They are waaaayyy heavier though and if you swap tires they feel sluggish in comparison.
    I've also had a harder time balancing them,
    the extra plies and rubber don't follow light car specs.
    The other thing is i've found the tire pressure to be best at a very low psi like 16 rear 20 front.
    I'm not sure if its just cause the (29 rpu) is so light but they bounce hard at anything more.
    The rears have been on there almost since it first became a hot rod, almost 6 years now,
    but I go through the fronts, need to replace them for what will be the 3rd time.
    (if you hit something and tweak the rim, they cannot be transferred to a new rim.
    They seem to have a permanent wear pattern to their rim)
    I still like them though!
    TP
    [​IMG]

8. Cool, thanks for the link. I looked at them for the T years ago. The rears will work but I want something a little shorter for the front, the roller 6.00x 16s I have in front are a LOT shorter than those specs

9. fleetside66

fleetside66

I saw them at www.performanceplustire.com. Thanks for all of your input. I think I'm going to take the chance on them when the time comes.

10. truckdog62563

truckdog62563

Tornel's I think are made outside the States. You might want to verify that if you care. If you want American made you can check with Specialty Tires of America. Their STA Super Transports would fit what you're after. They have a chart that gives tire/wheel combos and dimensions at www.stausaonline.com/light-truck/super-transport.html. Stu

11. truckdog62563

truckdog62563

12. Evilfalcon1961

Evilfalcon1961
    from Ma

13. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You answer a 5 year dead and ask about 10 ply frigging tires. In a light car you wouldn't have any teeth left after 500 miles but you sure would get to see your girls boobs bounce. How many hundred pages did you dig back to find that thread?

14. Evilfalcon1961

Evilfalcon1961
    from Ma

just searched Tornell Tires, on a model A i don't think it would be that bad?

15. truckdog62563

truckdog62563

I've thought about getting a set for one of my Marmon-Herrington 4x4s. Not a vehicle most on the HAMB care about though, different crowd. These tires disappeared from the main vintage tire company catalogs a while back, but now there's an eBay seller that has them listed. Maybe he bought out Coker and the others. Not sure I'd put them on a Model A, but for an old truck they'd be good. Stu

16. Evilfalcon1961

Evilfalcon1961
    from Ma

Yea im going to look into the 8 ply tires they look pretty close to Firestones

17. tjet

tjet
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Is this a new policy - no retrieving old posts?

18. greaseguns

greaseguns

didnt Deman file bankrupt and sold off

19. tjet

tjet
    1. Early Hemi Tech

I don't know but I like your avatar

20. fleetside66

fleetside66

And I'm five years older. I never did get those tires, because I found a great used set of Silvertowns. I hope to chat about this in another five years...maybe I'll try them when the Silvertowns wear out.