Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects time to build a new car for the hills

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by nutrocker, Sep 22, 2012.

1. Those SU manifolds are trick. Do they perform better than the traditional Stromberg and Holly carbs on road coarses?

2. nutrocker

nutrocker

Still been working away on the race car in between the other stuff.

The other week when the sun did shine for an afternoon I wheeled it outside the gate onto the road to take a look at it from all angles and from further away than I can see in the confines of the garage.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The rear end does look a bit odd without the fuel tank and with it being so high due to the chassis not being stepped, but, you know, I quite like it, gives it that early dirt track car look.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A quick mock up with the hood top from the roadster again, a proper one will be made later, and time to take it down for final welding and painting.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pete

volvobrynk likes this.
  3. nutrocker

nutrocker

Rockit, thanks for the nice words. I will get to the gearbox adaptation a bit later in the thread, but for now I will just say it was easy.

volvobrynk likes this.
  4. nutrocker

nutrocker

Bib, in my humble opinion the simple SU is the best carb made and has to be one of the easiest carbs to set up. And there are many ways to tune them too. Another thing is they flow more cfm than a 94 or 97.

Pete

Chalkie likes this.
  5. seatex

seatex

Man, you've got some mad, crazy skills! that's some of the nicest welding I've ever seen! WOW!

6. Thank You very much, for sharing your build with us mere mortals! WOW!

7. kevintothej

kevintothej
    from Arizona

PAINT!?! Not over that fantastic aluminum work! Say it aint so.

volvobrynk likes this.
  8. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Gee.. You sure have your way with aluminum really quick. Already talking about breaking it down for paint.

9. bonesy

bonesy

Amen!

10. nutrocker

nutrocker

Strip down time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I finished welding the chassis. The paint for this will be just rattle cans, no point in paying for a good paint job when it's only gonna get ruined as the car evolves.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Chassis painted along with the axles and the rest of the chassis parts and all put back together, sorry but I don't seem to have any pics of that stage.

So with the chassis and axles painted and put back together it was time to do a bit to the motor to get it ready for dropping back in. First job was to mount the gear box. Easy task that took only a few mins once the flywheel and clutch had been mounted along with the sump. This is where the first problem happened. I had taken the front and rear bearing housings off to replace the seals and gaskets, and it appears that in doing this I had knocked the three little sprung loaded tabs the locate the syncro out and had lost 3rd and 4th gear. So off came the gearbox and time to sort the problem. This is where the second problem occurred, I'm crap with gearboxes and might have well been working on it with a hand full on toes. Had to pull the whole cluster out to fix the issue and because I'm a cackhanded idiot it all fell apart and I spent ages fishing for bits of bearing, springs and tabs out of the bottom of the box.

Now I have a pile of bits on the bench, scratching my head (with oily hands) wondering if at this point I should get another gearbox , couldn't make up my mind so went to the hayride instead .

Back from the hayride and full of enthusiasm I tackle the cluster, easy, went together without any problems until I picked it up by one of selectors and dropped the lot on the floor , so after about an hour of Sue and myself searching under the bench, under the car, across the floor and anywhere where roller bearings and springs will travel all the bits where found. Time to clean them up and re-assemble it again and this time it all went ok, with it back in the box out of harms way, i.e. my hands, and all gears back. Lovely.

Pete

11. nutrocker

nutrocker

The next bit was to fit the Volvo gearbox and sort the clutch and release bearing. I've done this bit as a bit of a tech thing, hope you guys find it interesting.

First bit was to get the cast truck type adapter, not sure exactly what years or model, I'm sure someone will know.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You need to make a center locator as the snout on the gearbox is much smaller than the hole on the adapter. For this I took the original Volvo bell housing and cut the mounting flange off.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It was then turned in the lathe so that it was about 3mm thick apart from the center bit that would locate in the center of the truck adapter.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lay it on the adapter and drill and tap the four mounting holes for the gearbox.

[​IMG]

and on the inside you can see how it all locates.

[​IMG]

Just need to bolt the box onto the adapter and that bits done.

I'm using the standard French flywheel so had it skimmed and drilled and pined for the Volvo pressure plate and cover. This was done by the local machine shop as it needs to be clocked and done right.

[​IMG]

The center bush in the flywheel also needed to have a little adapter fitted as the spigot on the Volvo box is smaller than the Ford one. I turned up a little phosphor bronze bush made to a knock in fit and added a bit of thread lock to be sure.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

At this point I did need to take the spigot bush out again as it was a bit too long, but didn't take any pics of it once sorted, sorry.

So, gearbox and clutch mounted just the throw out bearing left to sort.
    This was done by taking the Volvo bearing and housing and mating it to the Ford fork and bearing housing.

This is the Volvo bits as a whole and with the housing pressed out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And with the bit I want to fit it to.

[​IMG]

Pete

joakimnj and volvobrynk like this.
  12. nutrocker

nutrocker

The first thing to do was turn the Ford part down in the lathe to make it shorter and also to open out the inside to take the ally part from the Volvo.

[​IMG]

Only a small amount was taken out and hopefully not too much as to make it weak.

[​IMG]

Then the ally Volvo part was pressed in.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That was it, really simple, took a bit of time working out the measurements but a simple way of doing it.

These following pics are not great due to operating the clutch arm with an adjustable spanner with one hand and trying to take pics with the other while trying not to pop a bollock.

With the bearing assembly right back

[​IMG]

With the bearing taking up the end float. There is about 1/8" free play. You can see the gap between the fork and housing.

[​IMG]

And finally with the clutch fully disengaged

[​IMG]

Going to put a spring on the housing just like on a Ford box to keep the fork in contact with the housing.

I have tried the clutch with a spanner and it seems to work well, can't turn the gearbox, press the clutch in and I can turn it. Won't know completely until I get to drive it but confident it'll be fine.

Pete

volvobrynk likes this.
  13. ROCKIT

ROCKIT

You make it look so simple Pete.
    Are the distances from flywheel to actuator arm similar to the Ford setup?
    Do you know the years or models that the Volvo box was used?

14. hammered30

hammered30
    from west aus

WOW :eek::eek: just found this tread. the work you have done is fantastic cant wait to see more pictures and up dates also subscribed
    Cheers paul

15. kiwicowboy

kiwicowboy
    from linwood nc

16. Rusty anarchist

Rusty anarchist
    from Edmonton

Nothing that hasn't been said yet, however sir your fabrication skills are awesome. Great build thank you for sharing with the hamb

17. nutrocker

nutrocker

Time to bolt the bits back on the motor. Nathan, (Nifty on here) sent me some heads that I could use for a bit, didn't know what was coming, just an email saying heads on the way feel free to use them, and when they arrived they were a pair of steel Champion high comp heads, and very nice there are too, so many thanks to Nifty Nathan for the loan of the heads, they look great on my car, will look shit on yours , thanks geeza.

these are just placed on at the time of taking the pics

[​IMG]

So with the gearbox back on the back of the motor one week after I had tried last time it was time to think about dropping the motor back in the chassis, 20 mins later, job done

Now, with the engine in the chassis and the heads and intake bolted on it would be a shame not to fire it up, well I thought so, so after a bit of fiddling around on Sat night it fired up for a moment. The timing was out and no water meant it was only for a very short time and not long enough to even check anything. This morning I reset the static timing, filled it up with water and, well take a look.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AfzkT8ZvAs&feature=player_embedded#t=0s

To say I'm happy is an understatement, the carbs are not set up in any way or balanced, the timing has only been roughly set and the exhaust has no gaskets or all the bolts. This start up was from cold, all I did was prime the carbs with fuel from the pump before hand.

Still loads to do but with the motor now running I can carry on with the build with confidence.

Pete

Jungle Jalopy likes this.
  18. 18n57

18n57

Pete, this has to be one of the best build threads I have ever seen on the HAMB!! Your skills are fantastic....can't wait to see more. Absolutely love the grille shell!
    Thanks for sharing ..........cheers

19. Cshabang

Cshabang

killer fab work!!!

20. reefer

reefer

I'm loving' that video of the motor running........

21. So-Cal Speed Sacramento

So-Cal Speed Sacramento
    Alliance Vendor
    from Sacramento

That is soo bad-ass!!! The frame and crossmember is amazing and I am strangely in love with the frame mounts for the front wishbones. consider me subscribed!

22. fordf1trucknut

fordf1trucknut

WOW.... amazing work!!!!

23. nifty

nifty
    from UK

Considering its a racecar Pete I think you'd best have the ali heads off my motor. can't have you getting weighted down and wallowing going into all the hairpins

24. motorgod7

motorgod7
    from chico,ca.

Totally awesome, I'd think there are all sorts of bits you could produce and sell based off this car. Fantastic work!

25. So-Cal Speed Sacramento

So-Cal Speed Sacramento
    Alliance Vendor
    from Sacramento

I agree! And if you are looking for a retail outlet, look no further!!!

26. HotRodMicky

HotRodMicky

Great build!

Do you think the Amazon gearbox will survive behind a "build" Flathead?

Would be an interesting alternative...

27. nutrocker

nutrocker

Wow! Interesting, will give it some thought.

Pete

28. nutrocker

nutrocker

I know of one Amazon backed flatty that runs in the 14's without a problem so hoping it'll be OK. My motor is mostly stock at this time but it will progress as time passes. I have heard that they are good for 200hp, we'll have to see.

Pete

29. Iceberg460

Iceberg460

:eek: Holy S#%t!! Awesome build, still picking my jaw up off the floor... Think I got a new favorite build on the HAMB