Register now to get rid of these ads!

Almost ready for paint!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rusty rocket, Sep 28, 2012.

1. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Got my sedan back from the metal man. Now its time for paint. If only I could afford the 15 to 22 grand quotes I've been getting (HOLY SHIT).

Attached Files:

2. Master of None

Master of None

What color are you thinking?

3. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Its a nissan color called just blu I found it on a 2002 xterra. It looks a lot like washington blue

4. choptvan

choptvan

Sounds about right. Especially if you are looking for a perfect job. No orange peel, no tape lines shit like that. Done right the first time around. Sounds like a cool color as well.

5. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

sounds like you may need to make some new friends. Maybe a painter buddy?

6. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

No shit!

7. That's why I do my own body and paint. Well, that and I am the only guy I trust to do it on my cars. Pat

8. jazz1

jazz1

You could always paint it yourself,,if you are not happy with the results repaint till you are satisfied. Really the hard work is done if the body is smoothed out. Nice car regardless of how you go about finishing.

9. Looks great, keep looking, I'm sure you can find better prices some where!

10. greaser

greaser

I would think you could metal prep and prime/block sand it yourself. Then have painter put on top coat/clear. Depends also on the quality your looking for.....is it for show or ya gonna drive it?
    Remember....road rash is inevitable.

11. Better take it to Maaco. Most of these new paints are a complete system from primer/thinner to topcoat from what I been reading. I need to get my new front fenders & grille shell on the 32 painted & was going to do it myself untill I started reading up on the paint & primer. Some scary shit if you don't follow their directions on the spec sheet.
    After this I'm done with fancy paint jobs. Ford never had them back in the day.

12. brady1929

brady1929

13. Hi Rusty Rocket, I owned a body shop all my life and worked on only high-end cars. Anything over 11 or 12 Grand is way too much money. In CA, you can get a really nice paint job show quality for 10 to 12. Don't be fooled by these guys.

14. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

I'll find someone. all my cars to date have been primered, but this one has to have paint.

15. Weasel

Weasel

Really???? I guess it depends on the definition of 'show quality'....

16. Rattle Trap

Rattle Trap

Put a driver quality paint job on it and enjoy the car.

17. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

15-22 grand? I know the sky's the limit for quality paint, but man...

The car looks really decent for a starting point

As mentioned how much of the prep work can you do yourself?

Can you barter fabrication or chassis work with a painter?

IF I was going to spend 15-22 grand, I'd find an out of work painter, start my own "paint and body shop" (in my garage) and put him on the payroll for $1000 or so a week (cash). Bet you'd have it done at half the quote.

18. Great looking car. I just got my car back from paint. I did all the prep...primer and block sanding. That really helped keep the cost down.

19. Fringe

Fringe
    from Sacramento

Yea, my paint guy would put a show quality paint job on that car for $5-$8k. See the depth on my recently painted Healey.
    [​IMG]

20. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Painting the car your self is your only way out. Any problems and its simply the best you can do and if someone doesn't like it...well. If you don't like it, then do it again.
    Don't get into a pissing contest with big money, you will always lose.

21. Amen.

22. Good lookin' car and it deserves a nice paint job. I think with a little research you can get it done nicely for right much less. I was in the business for 36 years, now disabled but still able to piddle around a little. I'm willing to bet you can find somebody like me who could piddle around and do that for you. Good for you and good for them!!!

23. JVK54

JVK54

From what I can tell in the pics that price seems high .The car is already in bare metal and there's no fab work, correct? If the Nissan paint you want is a simple basecoat-clearcoat and theres no crazy bodywork that I'm not seeing our shop could probably do a really nice driver quality job for 7- 12 K.

24. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Thanks special sam, This is how I feel about the car it deserves a nice job, I totaly understand that ford didnt put a nice paint job on them from the factory but henry didnt build this one, I did and I would like a nice paint job. I've a few more guys to talk with so it will get done one way or another.

25. This sums it up real well.
    Also, if and when you have to do a small repair/touch up, you have the extra material, and the mixing/technique that was used.
    Great looking car by the way.

26. Spidercoupe

Spidercoupe
    from Bevier, MO

I've been doing body work and painting a long time [started in a shop in 1960]. The car in the picture looks like it would be a nice job. remove fenders doors hood and do it right. color sand and buff before putting it togeather. I am retired now but take a job every now and again. the last overall like that I got 8000. that
    was paint material and labor. I'm not fast but the prices you have are quite a bit out of line a far as I can tell. Thats my story and I'm sticki;n' to it.

27. SKRTCHSR

SKRTCHSR
    from Cincinnati

With the cost of materials seems in line to me. Nice car by the way.

28. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

Looks like the metal guy did a nice job. Only thing I can add to what has been said is quality is not always reflected in the price. Ask other people inyour area for recommendations or ask the painter for customers who have had work done so you can get feedback from them.

David

29. redroaddog

redroaddog

so does the price include blowing the car apart to bare frame and starting from there? or are you doing that?

30. With the body that nice I think $15 - $20k is crazy.

Think about it. All you want is a factory color - no candies, pearls or anything crazy.

$3,500 to $5,000 would paint that car in Austin, Houston or Dallas all day long.