Register now to get rid of these ads!

New Biggie 1/8 scale diecast / custom model cars

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gnichols, Sep 28, 2012.

1. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Being a model car builder on and off since the late 50's, I seldom buy diecast models. But... I picked up a diecast model mag today and there were announcements / adverts for two very interesting models being made in 1/8 scale (same size as your old Monogram Big T kit). One was by ACME Trading Co., an 1/8 SoCal Belly tanker. The other was an 1/8th Dean Jeffries Manta Ray by STRUCTO Models. I'm sure both models will be too expensive for me to own, but I bet they will look great anyway especially at 20+ inches long. It's too bad Revell-Monogram doesn't make NEW 1/8 kits like these cars anymore. Or... if these models could also be sold as unpainted kits, I might be able to get one... or two. See your favorite dealer... Gary

Last edited: Sep 30, 2012
  2. i saw one the other day looked almost life like, i think it said "smart car" on the back

3. Deuces

Deuces

I'd love to see the belly tanker....

4. havn't built models for years now. but, i've got most of the 1/8 monograms. 65,82,85 corvettes and 2 of the 32 ford roadsters and the 82 Z/28. i always liked the 1/8 scale. never did get the big "t".

5. scottie

scottie

6. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

^^ Thanx for the link to the pix. I couldn't find any. Nor can I find any more on that Manata Ray - www.structomodels.com - is dead to me right now.

The belly tanker appears to be a fairly uncomplex model, so I hope the price will be more affordable. Gary

7. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

I would bet that with that large of a scale that you could "detail" this one to the max. Someone will do it. Neat model and thanks for sharing the information and link.

I believe ReplicCarz is also building a 1/18 scale die cast type model of the tanker as well as the Marmon Wasp. They also have a line of Indy Roadsters coming out. In my mind the most beautiful race cars period, well maybe throw a few Millers in as well!!

Last edited: Sep 29, 2012
  8. E Burfield

E Burfield

How much $ will something like this sell for? Bell tanker.

9. dmc3113

dmc3113

Gary the So-Cal Belly Tank is made By Acme Trading Co. The is the same company that used to go by GMP Diecast.

10. Blacktop Graffiti

Blacktop Graffiti

A Buttload.

11. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

Well shit thats another must have

12. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Thanx... I'll go back and fix my initial post then. Gary

13. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Sit down before you open this link, on a previous super cool GMP release. No, I don't have one of these, either. As they don't look nearly as complicated as that dragster model, I sure hope the new releases are priced down in the mere mortal range. Gary

http://www.legacydiecast.com/xq/asp/id.GMP0600801/qx/review.htm

14. Deuces

Deuces

I already have the GMP 1/6 scale Greer Black and Prudhomme 392 HEMI engine... I only paid 50 bucks for it brand new off of ebay some years back... Some dealer had 20 of those at the time he was selling...

15. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

^He was no dealer, sounds like either a thief or a counterfitter! Regardless, I'll give you 100 bucks for it! Gary

16. Deuces

Deuces

Not a counterfit item... That thing is beautiful!
    Sorry! No sale!...:)

17. $1,800.00
    How much did it cost them to build the original dragster back in '61?

18. E Burfield

E Burfield

For that price I hope it come's with a LARGE SAMPLE OF K.Y.JELLY! I think i will just have to look at pic's an be happy.

19. Deuces

Deuces

I think there were 1500-2500 of those made.... And folks snatched those up!... Not sure how many engine kits were made and sold..
    If you look on ebay, you might come across 1 er 2...

20. mrjynx

mrjynx
    BANNED

With the advent of 3D printing I would bet you will see more obscure kits being made by individuals. They dont need to be made by the big guys anymore.

21. There is already another thread about the 1/8 So Cal tank where ACME is getting flamed for the price. A 1/8 scale model is huge. Tooling that size is expensive, even in China. Yes, the price is out of reach for us commoners, but guys like Bruce Meyer will buy one, and the short run will sell out. Like Gary, I've been building models most of my life, but I appreciate the detail on the 1:18 scale models currently being offered. At $150, or less they are a bargin. When GMP started their Indy roadster series, I was instantly hooked. Then they did the Kurtis midget series, and I couldn't help myself. I have sworn never to buy another die cast model, but if they ever do the M&S coupe, I will happily fall off the wagon!

[​IMG]

22. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

see other thread = 1:8 So-Cal Belly Tanker

23. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL