Register now to get rid of these ads!

shipping large parts via greyhound

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BadassBadger, Sep 27, 2012.

1. BadassBadger

BadassBadger
    from wisconsin

ok i've been selling classic car parts for several years now and its been great for making extra cash. anywho i ship 99.9 via post office the rest being local pick up. now i did know greyhound shipped large stuff but the few times i looked i couldn't as because said item was over 100lbs. anyways over the years from the cars i parted out i've amassed hoods doors fenders and decklids and here i looked today for a 52 ford decklid someone wants to buy from me is only $70 (as far as the site calculator says anyways)
    i plan on calling my local greyhound tomorrow before i give the green light to my buyer but also i just would like your guys input if you shipped or received parts via the grey dog.

2. 117harv

117harv

There are several threads here regaurding GH, I have shipped large items a few times all with great success. GH is only good for large awkward items, smaller stuff that can go through the post office go that way as it is cheaper.

3. Ive shipped with the race dog about 50 times. Sometimes its easy as can be, sometimes its a PITA. The people that work there dont have it down as smooth as USPS or UPS. Never had anything damaged or come up missing though.

4. gearheadbill

gearheadbill

I use them regularly. Very reliable and at least somewhat cheaper than others. GREAT for bulky and awkward parts.

5. BadassBadger

BadassBadger
    from wisconsin

and thats what i was hoping :D cuz i have shipped hundreds items via post office over the years and the occasional heavy-yet-smaller items via UPS but never yet tried greydog
    and from what i see they take items up to 82 inches!!! that means pretty much any all car parts!

6. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

had good luck with grey dog, sent and recieved several fenders , no problems reasonable.

7. i had a set of fenders shipped to me. they came from cali to kansas. there was no issues. they arrived on time and undamaged. i wouldnt hesitate to use them again.

8. oldwood

oldwood
    from arkansas

I've shipped new and old bumpers with no problems. It usually gets there quicker than the others. Go Greyhound !!!

9. pontiac

pontiac

I have shipped through Greyhound and received parts through them. I had one incident though where I shipped a 51 Buick fender to a guy in California and he never got it. Greyhound didn't know what happened to it either, no one could tell me anything. Thought it'd be kinda hard to lose such a large item. Shipping for that was only around $45 or so - that was 5 years ago.

I purchased 2 51 Pontiac fenders off a guy in Indiana and both of those together was less than $100 shipping. Received them very quickly also!

10. jratz1966

jratz1966

I've had good luck also with greyhound,Had a hood shipped to me know problem the guy on the other end just had to put cardboard on corners.Have parts coming right now waiting for call so I can go pick them up.Just learned that they ship C.O.D. shipped some parts to TX and just had to give contact info for guy in TX,and he paid shipping when he picked parts up.

11. BadassBadger

BadassBadger
    from wisconsin

well this sounds really great for me because like i said i have a TRAILER LOAD worth of large cars parts that i cant sell despite being in perfect shape due to shipping costing hundreds by ups or fedup

12. mixedupamx

mixedupamx

have shipped and recieved large items via greyhound and had good luck. the first was a javelin hood I bought from a fellow in oakland ca. shipped to central il. took 2 weeks to get here???? but no damage and very reasonable price.

13. Kinky6

Kinky6

Yeah, I got a Model A cowl w/ the w/s posts still on it shipped to me from AZ for about $75. That was a large and awkward package, but not a problem for them.

Later, Kinky6 :cool:

14. UNSHINED 2

UNSHINED 2

I had a 41 desoto roof and rear quarters....(quarters, not fenders) sent from Cali up here to Wi. Right at the limit ti what they would ship.... No problems, I would recommend them.

15. I have used them both ways numerous tmes. Always received my items in good shape.

16. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

I've done the gray dog ......go for it.

17. BigJim394

BigJim394

You can only ship from the PackageExpress locations (ceratil Greyound stations( and they only deliver to PackageExpress locations, so check the listings at their site to see the closest location to the person buying your item. The buyer will have to go pick it up at that bus station. Around here, they only accept pacakges from maybe 8AM to 5 PM. If you are boxing the item, the box has to be left open so the clerk can see what is inside (you then tape it up at the bus station). They used to require cash and exact change. They are fast though. Massachusetts to Florida was sometimes less than 3 days.

18. Good luck here. But remember, Greyhound is not nationwide anymore. It will get passed onto other bus lines depending on the route. That said, I have never had an issue.

19. JebNY

JebNY

A friend disassembled and packed a fairly expensive bike in a large box and sent it cross country via GreyHound and it didn't get there. They kept telling him to give it a few more weeks and finally admitted it was lost. He had to take them to small claims court to get them to pay.

20. 208custom

208custom

Not long ago I shipped an auto trans through greyhound and everything went well. I thought the weight cut off was 150, the packaged trans weighed 146. It cost about $150.

21. BadassBadger

BadassBadger
    from wisconsin

this is all really helpful because especially the 53 desoto and 55 cadillac hoods i have are well.......not small and if they can be shipped for 100 or so well hell thats cheap!

22. The37Kid

The37Kid

I've had good luck with them, cost is very reasonable. IF you have a depot close by and so does the buyer it is a good deal. Get friendly with the local bicycle shop, their empty boxes are great. Bob

23. chinarus

chinarus
    from Georgia

For something large like a 34 cowl, will they accept it bare, bare with cardboard wraps, need to be boxed, or on a small pallet?

24. kscarguy

kscarguy

I have shipped several 1940 pickup doors and one COE grill with the doggie. As long as you wrap the the parts well, they do a good job. I use bubble wrap and carboard to try and prevent dents.

25. BadassBadger

BadassBadger
    from wisconsin

from what i heard you dont have to have something like that wrapped... which is great for me as most stuff save for the really perfect stuff i wouldn't wanna screw around with custom boxing because lord knows i do enough of that for larger stuff i ship via post office but dont want to pay the oversize fee........

26. Had two 32 ford fenders shipped from Pittsburgh to Vale,Or via busfreighter.com for $68.00 & they arrived in less than 3 days. The seller was willing to package them in a refrigerator box & deliver them to greyhound. They will pick up & box items for extra fee. I just shipped two tires tied together to Wyo & buyer only had to pay $68.00. Go to their web site for complete information. You need to do some work like boxing & delivering to greyhound but the fee is about 1/2 price & it is insured for up to $1000.00. They do have a weight & size limit.
    They use greyhound package express I think.

27. I used an affiliate concord coachways to have Model A wheels shipped to me. Went fine.

Biggest concern I've heard, is that the items travel below the bus with the luggage, and are not "attended" at transfers etc. Allowing any nefarious types to simply walk off with them as though they owned them. Probably a bigger issue with Bikes etc, and less with Bumpers and sheet metal.

28. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I've shipped cams, cranks, fenders, and other 'heavy' stuff, as well as 'light'...always reasonable price, good success.
    But 4 years ago, I took the trouble to build a special crate from OSB and plywood, for a rebuilt '54 Ford 3 speed tranny w/O.D. ...one of the ends served as a 'pilot shaft bulkhead', which probably tipped off a less-than honorable receiving clerk somewhere around Albequerque.
    Obviously thinking that anyone would custom-crate a tranny (and coat the crate with 3 coats of Flecto Varathane!) MUST be shipping a Muncie M-22, or he recognized the pilot and severely needed a '54 3 speed w/O.D.!

3 months later, I received a check from Greyhound, for the insured value.
    I forwarded the funds (plus $30 to my customer) for interest.
    He echoed my "good faith plus interest" on the Ford Barn, proclaiming me as one of the 'Good Guys'.
    Thanks, Greyhound (I think!)

29. UNSHINED 2

UNSHINED 2

Stuff i had shipped was recieved with just cardboard basically around the parts. Id imagine they dont want their people getting tetanus. Thats bad for their Workers Comp rates... You are probably gonna have a hard time finding a box for a car roof or rear quarters. Still were recieved dent free.

30. carmuts

carmuts

I have shipped quite abit via Greyhound. Only had one real problem when they lost a door for a 35 Ford tudor sedan. Shipping 20's and 30's front fenders and model A quarter panels I have had great luck at a good price. One drawback is the person at the other end has to go pick it up at the Bus station and not everyone lives close enough to make that feasable. Rod