Register now to get rid of these ads!

My all-time favorite #1 car is here! (slight warning: not 100% hot rod!)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CRH, Sep 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

What are Rally I's? Is it like the normal rally wheel? If so, I think the black steelies and poverty caps would be the best option, they look more "down to business."

I think its really cool how you're putting bias plies on it too :)

2. The Rally 1 wheel was a 14" wheel used on "A" body Pontiacs and Firebirds from 1965 to 1968. This was one of my 65's that had them.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. goatboy

goatboy
    from kansas

supernice car ! i have had the exact same car plus a 66 hdtp & a 67 conv, all goats
    (hence my username) i have sold all of them but miss my 65 the most, love them a lot

4. Poverty caps on painted steelies look totally great on hardtops and sedans but I think your rag-top needs Ralleye IIs and redlines...I think Corky Coker sells 'em in 14 inch.

5. The Rally II's came in 14" or 15" from Pontiac and were first used in 1967.

6. CRH

CRH
    from Utah

I think dog dish caps do look a little out of place on a convertible, too. But these were all I had! The Rally I's are on my '65 Le Mans. I guess I better start saving up for another set...

Also, I think the skinny whites are too much for the red car.

Here's the Le Mans:

[​IMG]

7. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

So let me get this straight...........a 65 Pontiac Tempest is ok, but as soon as you put a 389 in it and some GTO badges it is not ok ??????? You have GOT to be kidding me! :rolleyes:

Really weird how people make up their own rules to fit their personal interests and no one elses.

Don

8. dad-bud

dad-bud

Sounds like you are super-happy with your 'new car'.
    65 is within Ryan's cut-off as stated by him, so anyone worrying about it being OT can worry no more.
    Thanks for sharing and the steelies plus poverty caps look better than the C-lines - until you can get whatever wheels you want.
    Thanks for sharing your joy.
    Cheers.

9. What does GTO stand for?

10. 345winder

345winder
    BANNED

re-READ what i said......ALL i was saying is that just because the cuttoff year is 1965 , somepeople get the impression is that EVERYTHING built before 1965 automatically safe,i have read here before Vw's and musclecars are not hamb friendly......,i NEVER said anything about this guys car.....,dont care , and not what i come here to see.( you can keep the 65 tempest too ..:D it doesnt really matter to me,,Ryans site, not mine, so if he's cool with it, fine by me....

....i'll go back into my cave now.....

Last edited: Sep 27, 2012
  11. Bushmaster

Bushmaster
    from Austin, TX

Gran Turismo Omologato, which is Italian for Homologated Grand Touring.

Or, if you're not a Pontiac fan:

Gas Tires Oil

Getcha Tools Out

12. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

"Gran Turismo Omologato".......which loosely translated means "Bad ass Pontiac" .:D

I bought my first one new in 66, and wanted that honey gold one that was the hot color that year. My other must haves were trips and a four speed. My buddy's Dad owned a Pontiac Cadillac dealership so he got on the phone and started finding me one. They found me one a few days later and it was about a hundred miles from home, and their driver took me to that dealership so I could see it.

Turned out the car was a plain white Goat coupe (not hardtop) with a red interior, very plain. But it had trips and a four speed. I was disappointed but the saleman said to take it for a spin. I put it sideways in the first three gears and bought it on the spot ! :D Those things were beasts.

Don

Last edited: Sep 27, 2012
  13. Bushmaster

Bushmaster
    from Austin, TX

To me, there isn't much in the car world that compares with opening up all three carbs from about a 30 mph roll. Hang on and have your hand on the shifter.

14. The economy was good in 1966. All of the graduating seniors bought new cars. The fraternity houses looked like Pontiac Dealership parking lots. The seniors had designated parking. I got to ride in a few of the GTO's. It was scary with some of the novice drivers.

15. CRH

CRH
    from Utah

Heck yes plain white! I like a white post coupe with nothing but tri power and a 4 speed. These WERE the cars at the strip, not the fully optioned ones. Very cool story.

16. CRH

CRH
    from Utah

"Grand Touring, Homologated" is what GTO means, in English. It is an interesting read on Wikipedia; Pontiac's GTO actually seems to have fit the requirements better than Ferarri's, at least concerning production!

17. kyvetteman

kyvetteman

Congrats on a great find! Nice to see it appreciated like it should be. That's probably why the guy thought you were the "right one".

I had a '65 and a '66. Both really cool cars. Would love to have either one right now!

18. kyvetteman

kyvetteman

"Gran Turismo Omologato" or as I read in an old Hot Rod article once "Gonna blowa offa you doors!" That still cracks me up. But then again, I'm easily amused... :rolleyes:

19. sweet 65! i purchased a badly rusted 65 convert from a army guy that had it shipped to wa. state then got orders for elswhere. was purchased new by uncle and had no floors left or trunk but all the sheetmetal was good! Should have kept it as it had all paperwork from day one with it.

20. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

Very nice find / good for you ... iv had 2 65 hardtops myself that I loved
    btw
    F the haters

21. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

Beautiful ride. I have to admit I would be figuring out how to sell my soul to finish it off with a set of those Hurst wheels!

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

22. The Continental

The Continental
    from Texas

Yeah buddy, why don't you get out of here with your GTO and take the Century and 88 with you.

23. If that is the case, then you should follow!

24. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

The '65s are important to me because of family history. My grandparents bought this one new in '65 and let my 18-year-old Dad spec it out:

[​IMG]

389 tri-power, four-speed, and 4.11 gears. My grandfather was 50. Can you imagine?

In all his letters home from basic training, tech school, and Southeast Asia, there's a good-natured ribbing by my Dad about taking good care of "his" car. And it basically was his after about 1967.

Foolishly, though, he traded it in on a Mach 1 Mustang when he got back. The next owner rolled it within three months and it sat in a junkyard in Alpena until the 1980s. I presume it was crushed.

I never want to own a '65 GTO if I can't own that one, but I love 389s, four-speeds, and yellow Pontiac convertibles because of that car. I'd love to build a '55 Star Chief convertible by way of tribute.

Great score. The black steelies look great on there.

25. A classic bad ass is good no matter where it's posted !!!!

26. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

Allotta memories in the 66 GTO.. My uncle still owns it. Bought it new. Looks damn near the same. His is dark green with black convertable, and whit interior. Wood grain dash, center consol...

GTO's are great

27. CRH

CRH
    from Utah

WOW! Amazing picture, looks like they just rolled it of of the semi. And my favorite color for '65 convertibles: Mayfair Maize! Can you imagine how desirable a '65 convert originally ordered with tri-power, 4 speed and 4.11 Safe-T-Track is now? Amazing car, and absolutely chilling photo.

28. CRH

CRH
    from Utah

Century?? Are you talking about the '54 Bel Air? And if a '62 Oldsmobile Dynamic 88 hardtop doesn't fit your tastes, then sorry! They both fit the HAMB quite well.

I think it was a joke, right?:confused:

29. CRH

CRH
    from Utah

I am quite familiar with rust on '64-'65 GM A-bodies. This one surprised me because it is rust from a water leak while in storage. The passenger 1/4 is separated from the rocker panel just forward of the rear wheel up almost to the door, and not from wheel well rust holes. The spot weld lip where 1/4 meets rocker has been filled with water from what seemed to be a leak that ended up running down that window channel. It was weird to me; I'm used to driving and sitting rust, not extremely localized, specific rust spots. Thank goodness the windshield channel looks good, and driver side 1/4 is great.

And haters, don't be too worried. I am not trying to generalize the HAMB. This GTO is what I will drive around...just an interesting (to some) side note. THESE Are what I am building:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 30, 2012
  30. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D:eek: Great find.Congrats.A little story here about a 389 tri power,4 speed that was delivered to the local dealer where I grew up.Delivered at appx 8:30AM.was rushed to the detail shop,and set out on the lot.A bunch of tire kickers showed up to look and drool.The sales staff and owner of dealership came in at the usual time the next morning.And had a FIT.The hood,motor AND tranny was GONE.The goodies were never found.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.