Register now to get rid of these ads!

ohio anybody?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by carpunk, Sep 27, 2012.

1. carpunk

carpunk

hi all
    we are moving to mentor area ohio from orange county ca i was wondering if there is much of a car scene up there or any race tracks events swap meets not too far to visit?
    thanks!

2. metal man

metal man

The hot rod scene is HUGE here. You will not be disappointed. Always something going on every weekend from May to October. Still stuff to do in the winter too, but mostly indoors.

Most of us park the hot rods December - March, that would be the only downside that I can think of.

Welcome to Ohio.

3. JustBryan

JustBryan
    from NE Ohio

lotta stuff goin on here. take a look at Big Al's List on line and be amazed.

oh yah....welcome

4. micky69

micky69
    from Ohio

A bunch of dragstrips within 3 hrs, one of the best nostalgia Gasser races in June, lots of cruises and shows. Just be prepared to be in the snow belt. Welcome to the area.

5. carpunk

carpunk

heheeeeee! i got a tingle down my spine im gettin excited!

Last edited: Sep 27, 2012
  6. carpunk

carpunk

if anybody will let me p.m them about ohio stuff would be gratefull

7. slowmotion

slowmotion

I'd venture to say you're gonna like it. We don't have Cali weather year 'round, but the car culture is alive & very well in the Buckeye state. Thompson dragstrip is damn near in your back yard. Salem (Quaker City) is another not all that far. Also, some of the best swapmeets in the east are just a stone's throw away. Canfield is a short drive. Carlisle & Hershey, a few hrs more.

Welcome to Ohio, ya might wanna grab a jacket. That time of year's comin'.

8. carpunk

carpunk

whats the rust situation!

9. slowmotion

slowmotion

Great, if that's what yur into! :D

10. Paul Selfe

Paul Selfe
    Member Emeritus

You'll be amazed at the car scene in this area, cruises every night of the week during the "Good Weather". Check BigAl's List, he's a great guy, and BTW he will be your neighbor as he lives in Painesville, right next door to Mentor. Welcome to the (Lake effect) Snow belt. Paul Selfe.

11. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

Welcome to The Snow Belt.... For me, forget Norwalk. You have Thompson right by you. Home of the Gasser Reunion, and its a small track with big shows.

You have alotta choices, for car shows. Every July is Goodguys in Columbus, you have shows up in sandusky, and vermillion. along with weekly shows. Mentor is a great community.

I am wondering, on another note. A large lake county employer shut down a plant in Ca. and moved it to Mentor. Is that what your cought up in?

12. melsfine39

melsfine39

OHIO rust is the best RUST!! AND we have plently of IT!! accept NO substitutes!! Mel:D

13. micky69

micky69
    from Ohio

Check out Cruisin Times magazine, or go to their website also. Mentor is nice, you'll be close to a lot of stuff, lots of car guys there too. Super K cruise, Anabelle's, bunch of stuff. Im still east of you a bit but Its great car wise here except for winter. Send PMs if you like.

14. carpunk

carpunk

well i kind of like rust but not the rust where you spend 6 months on your back and every other position welding just to get to the same stage as a ,,rusty,, ca car.
    thanks for the info keep it coming!
    how about junk yards! pm me if you like i wouldnt want to turn up and find a scene from ,,storage wars,,

15. Blackmaria60

Blackmaria60

Yeah Norwalk, Mid Ohio Raceway, National Trail Racewal, Kil Kare (for what it's worth). The Goodguy R & C meet here in Columbus in July, Springfield Cars & Parts Show and Swap meet, and everything in between. One of my favorite cruises to go to is the Graffiti Cruise in Bucyrus in June. Of course you won't be too far from the Woodward Ave. Dream Cruise in Detroit, either.

16. Blackmaria60

Blackmaria60

....and gobs of HAMBers too Lol

17. Cincinnati Slim

Cincinnati Slim
    from Cincy, OH

One thing about Ohio, we are central to most of the major Midwest shows. So besides all the events mentioned in Ohio, you can add Indiana, Michigan, Pennsylvania, Kentucky and Tennessee.

California might have invented Hot Rods, but Ohio perfected it. :)

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

18. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

You can pm myself or Don Moyer here on the Hamb as well..........Where in Mentor are you moving to ?........I am just outside of Mentor now but grew up in Mentor..........Plenty of cruising, car shows, dragstrips ''Thompson is real close to Mentor.'' Quaker City dragstrip, Dragway 42 and Norwalk. Next town over in Painesville is the Painesville Speedway for roundy round action......Lake Erie if your into boating...Cedar Point amusement park is real close and much more.....Really offers allot of options like sunshine and snow............Good luck Littleman

19. Tank

Tank

Big car scene here. Springfield swapmeet is several times a year, and always pretty good. Lancaster in june is usually pretty good as well. Lots of drag strips in the area as well. You're welcome to PM me any time man.

20. "T'RANTULA"

"T'RANTULA"
    from Ohio

Welcome to ohio, I think you'll like it! :cool:

21. barnsearcher

barnsearcher
    from Ohio

If you are into land speed racing you have the Ohio Mile in Wilmington! last event for the year is this weekend....... next one April 2013....Welcome to Ohio

22. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

If you want rust free... Ya better bring it with you... Brine in the winter months is brutal

23. NHRANUT

NHRANUT
    from Western PA

Has the Starlite Cruise gotten a reprieve? Last I heard this was the last year for it there.:(

24. hotrodhoodlum

hotrodhoodlum
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

if you are into cars you will be in the right place
    you can also pm me and I will fill you into the swap meet scene
    good luck in your move
    Hot Rod Hoodlum

25. I lived in SoCal for a couple years....moved back to the heart of it all...Ohio! Shoot me a pm as to when you are getting to town...We can have a club meeting to help you move in!

26. fogs58

fogs58
    from ooo

Rent a big hauler and bring a bunch of rust free Cali cars here for barter lol . This state is big in all types of car events from dirt tracks to drag strips and all in between. Just be prepared for cold winters. I wouldn't want to live anywhere else myself. Welcome to the Buckeye state.

27. carpunk

carpunk

well this is sounding better than i thought i may well take up some of those offers to pm etc
    allways nice to have new gearhead friends so il be looking for a project or a cool daily driver when i get settled in and the weather wont be that bad as i am used to living in england!

28. In the" For What its worth " dept...Doug "cookie"Cook little brother Ray now lives in Mentor..I tried to talk him into coming down to Bowling Green when Mike had the SWC gassers there on display...He said he had had enough of drag racing ..Ray drove the "B" car during those gasser war days...

29. deadendcruiser

deadendcruiser

As all the others have said, you won't be disappointed. Welcome to Ohio.