Register now to get rid of these ads!

scared to drive your car? I AM.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 62rebel, Jul 7, 2009.

1. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

This thread got me thinking on a related topic.... that is, the number of early customs that were wrecked. Some were wrecked as late model cars and rebuilt as customs, like George Barris' Sahara, some were wrecked as late model cars bought by customizers and rebuilt, like George Barris' Blue Danube, others were customized, wrecked, and rebuilt, some of them more than once and others were customized then wrecked and junked.

In the forties, fifties and early sixties this was pretty common. Later custom cars became show cars and were not exposed to the hazards so much, even then some were wrecked on trailers like the R&C Dream Truck.

I bet Rik Hoving could make a list of about 50 early customs known to have been involved in more or less serious accidents, if I can think of 5 or 10.

So, we don't live in a perfect world. Shit happens.

2. LAROKE

LAROKE

My '37 is my daily driver. I drive with the same situational awareness that I would practice as a biker. Ya gotta jack up the odds in your favor as much as possible.

3. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

First off, be sure you got enough agreed value ins. plus plenty of medical ins. for uninsured motorists. The med. will cover you and your passenger when that damn illegal immigrant hits you. This will at least keep you from financial loss if it happens.
    Next try to make your rod or custom as visible when brakes are applied as possible. There's a reason all the new cars have those big, ugly ass tailights, so they can be seen!
    That's why I'm installing leds in the louvers on the deck lid of my 31 hiboy, total of 35 leds. They shouldn't be at all visible until I apply brakes. And hopefully being high up on decklid will help with following drivers that are so busy eyeballing the car that they don't see the led illuminated '50 Pont tail/brake lights down low. Maybe I'll also put an electronic flasher on those decklid leds.
    I like the idea of stopping short so as to get yourself some manuevering room.
    Dave

4. TKEBH964

TKEBH964
    from MO

My wife and I were in an accident in her daily driver (06 Scion xB). We were stopped at a red light and a girl hit us from behind doing about 40 mph. She was apparently getting an eyelash out of her eye at the time.

You can be a great law abiding courtious driver, doing everything right, and you can still be involved in a serious accident.

I don't let this prevent me from driving my wagon to work on a daily basis, but it is always in the back of my mind.

5. SFB? I was thinking Stupid F'ing Bastards. Seems a better match.

6. Fenders

Fenders

Yah, why I quite riding bikes.
    '38 Harley
    '72 Triumph
    Sold 'em.

7. I am not scared to drive mine at all, I just pay attention and stay away from people.

The one thing that scares me every time is parking it, nothing like trying to get door dings out of the side trim.

8. Rebracer

Rebracer

I am usually care free when it comes to saftey or being concerned about my safety as these days almost everything enjoyable or neat has been ruined or destroyed in the name of "safety".

I will say this however, several months ago there was a post showing the aftermath of a carless driver who slamed into a hard top GTO while it was parked at a car show. The image of that GTO's passenger side door bent into the interior of the car at a 45 degree angle made me sick to my stomach, as all I could think about was my wife riding in the passenger seat of my hard top 55 and what the same impact would do to my car. It does make you think, as there can be much more serious consequenceies besides a damaged bumper and body work.

9. 39 All Ford

39 All Ford
    from Benton AR

10. Luckily in Seattle everyone drives their Hybrid REALLY slow and gives my cars a wide berth as they are pumping epic amounts of toxic fumes into the air.....you wouldn't want to get to close and breath that now would you. :D

11. I find it best to drive in an area that is least likely to have traffic ... I very much prefer the shoulders of highways and sidewalks. Very lightly travelled when compared to the regular lanes. Speeding is also a very good idea ... accidents do happen but speeding allows you to pass that spot before the accident actually does happen. It's really quite simple ... surprised more people haven't thought this way.

Maybe I should give an example ... you leave work at 4:00 and are involved in an accident at the corner of 5th and Main at 4:21 ... IF you were speeding after leaving work you would not have been at the intersection of 5th and Main at 4:21 and therefore would NOT have been involved in the accident. Simple math.

Be safe out there.

Beanscoot likes this.
  12. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Won't comment on the first deal... Errrr trust me on that one. But your second comment made me think about something: When I had a vertex mag in one of my VW years ago, it used to play hell with the stereo in the car next to me. (Great fun I might add at the dawn of the "boom boom" stereo era!) Wonder if it would effect cell phone reception?

13. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

When I used work up there in the summers driving the Plymouth all over western WA I noticed that big time! I didn't think any western cities still had 55MPH speed limits 'till I got up there. And on top of that, it seems like to many people up there, driving a car is a completely despicable act, so they move at less than the speed limits... Weird, and scary I might add.

14. firingorder1

firingorder1

Look on the bright side. One day you'll die and you won't have to be scared anymore. In the meantime keep it in the garage, waxed and polished and hope a plane doesn't crash into your garage.

15. Crystal Blue

Crystal Blue

:D:D:D

My brother gets off of work at 4:30, but he's so fast he gets home at 3:30.
    :D:D He works for the government;)

16. Molonewolf

Molonewolf

Why own em if you ain't going to drive em.

17. 6-71

6-71

I personally know a local guy who has several Collector cars(not HAMB friendly) that he is afraid to take out of the garage,I tell him that his wifes next husband is going to beat the shit out of the cars when he gets his hands on them. He is actually seeing a psycholygist(sp) about his OCD disorder.No he still leaves them in the climate controlled locked garage.

18. Nailhead Brooklyn

Nailhead Brooklyn

Been on the other end of a classic...had some stupid bitch hit me when I was at a dead stop in a 60-something ridiculous pick up truck...she must of hit me doing 45-50 mph...put my cars trunk into my backseat...had the balls after I got out of my car to ask me not to call the cops...She almost had her life beaten out of her dumb ass and her ugly jalopy Sanford and Sons having piece of crap...

19. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

if you are scared to drive it,go even bigger as in boat sized caddy with an air horn the first smart car driver who cuts you off and sees THAT in the rear view mirror blasting his brains out, will piss himself

20. firingorder1

firingorder1

A couple of years ago I was watching the Goodwood Festival. Nick Mason (drummer with Pink Floyd and Ferrari collector. And other expensive sports cars) was on the starting grid with a very rare and expensive Ferrari. The interviewer asked him if he was nervous taking such a rare car and racing it. His reply was that there was nothing that couldn't be straightened if it got bent or replaced if it broke. A great attitude. Helped no end, of course, by having the funds to sort out anything that goes wrong.

21. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

Wrecks happen. A car is useless if your not going to drive it. Being scared to drive it means you really should sell it to someone that will use it for what it was intended to be used for. Don't be fooled into thinking something big and massive make you more visible, or safer, its not the facts.

These pictures are of my 50 Dodge 4x4 truck. Before, and after 8:34 am on a bright sunny Friday morning, Oct 21, 2011. The lady that turned in front of me "didn't see the truck." As much as I loved my truck, at the end of that morning, it was still just a truck. The lady and myself are still walking the earth, both vehicles did what they were suppose to do, save the occupants.

The truck is laying in my yard, I look at it almost daily. It will probably be reincarnated at some point, but for now, I have a 48 Plymouth coupe I drive. I'm not scared to drive the coupe, but I do have a better seat belt in it then the truck had.

Accidents happen. Life it too short to spend it worrying about material things like cars and trucks. Life is about people, and worrying will make you old before your time. Gene

Attached Files:

22. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

1st picture of the truck-before.

Attached Files:

23. Shit happens. Sometimes I think my cars are magnetic. I drive em and people run in to them. My 1st 55 Nomad got sideswiped at a car event and I almost got mowed down as I was standing where it got hit. Fixed it. Lost control on black ice with my second 55 Nomad and rolled it in a snow filled ditch. Fixed it. Woman ran a stop sign and I nailed her with my 55 2-door. Fixed it. Guy crossed into my lane and hit me head on in my 51 Ford coupe. Big time damage, fixed it. Guy backed out in front of my daughter and cracked front glass fender on my T tub. Couldn't believe all it had was only about a 2 inch crack. My daughter said it sounded like he tore the side off his pickup. Caved in his rear steel fender on his 50 chev pickup with a 27 T glass fender. Unreal. Fixed it. Unfortunately my wife sustained bad injuries in a couple of the accidents. The head on was the worst. I still drive my cars all the time. They are just cars and can be fixed or replaced. Pat

24. Charlie Jones

Charlie Jones
    from Apopka FL.

I love It! :D

25. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Put on over 5000 miles in my '55 Caddy this summer, going rod running all over the US...most people give me a wide berth and thumbs up...The worst drivers are those on the Interstate-they want to get close so they can shoot pix...I'll either slow way down and let them go on by, or slide over closer to the edge of the highway until they are done...most people on the Interstates are only interested in one thing - getting there as fast as they can. That's why I take two lanes nearly everywhere.

R-

[​IMG]

26. J scow

J scow
    from Seattle

27. MATACONCEPTS

MATACONCEPTS
    BANNED

NO!! I'm not a Pussy. Come to think of it, I was on the 10 freeway last night in LA traffic, BANG'G in the A, 15 miles each way.:cool:

LIVE FAST, DIE YOUNG!!!

Attached Files:

28. MATACONCEPTS

MATACONCEPTS
    BANNED

Accually, most are more nervous than scared like me & it can be tiring, but have fun IS better.

29. Jay Tyrrell

Jay Tyrrell

Oh ya!

30. Jay Tyrrell

Jay Tyrrell

The right idea!