Register now to get rid of these ads!

My all-time favorite #1 car is here! (slight warning: not 100% hot rod!)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CRH, Sep 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. robber

robber

You gotta like a goat!:D Very Cool!:cool: These are classic, American, factory hotrods!;) Enjoy your baby!:D

2. 39 Ford

39 Ford

Congratulations, that is a very nice car. Had a 66 tri-power 4 speed hardtop loved that car.
    Do not lower it ,use 15's on it, dog dish are ok if painted body color. Rally wheels are also great.
    Get an original Sun Super tach correct for the era.
    Just use it and enjoy it.

3. BONNEVILLE BOB 95

BONNEVILLE BOB 95

The goat's gorgeous man. '65 is my pick of the litter when it comes to Gtos.

4. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

so I guess the HAMB is just a site for general automotive interests now. how sad.

5. Yep!

I have a couple of sets of Rally 1 center caps available and maybe some wheels as well as some N.O.S. parts. PM me if you want.

Redlines are pretty much a must but if your budget allows it put them on these...............

[​IMG]

Just be prepared, they can go as high as $5500.00 a set! :eek:

[​IMG]

6. So waddaya gonna do get this and other GTO threads closed???? :mad:

Lighten up!!!!

The GTO was born in 1964

7. kirby1374

kirby1374

You better talk to Ryan about his 65 Riviera post.....

8. Bushmaster

Bushmaster
    from Austin, TX

What's the weird rust problem? I remember the typical problems with my '65s - mostly rear quarters - but on the '66s the thing that drove me batshit was the rusting ends of the dash (from condensation and poor window seal?). And of course, after some time, that translated to rusted pans.

9. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

The HAMB is '64 and older, granted, with allowances made for cars that were essentially the same for a year or two after that. '63-'65 Rivieras, '64-'65 Chevelles, '64-'66 Chevy pickups, etc. The '64 and '65 GTO share the same body shell basically, so it seems logical to me that we could all enjoy looking at this '65. I mean, it's not like it's a '66 GTO! :)

My best friend in high school in the early 70s had a red '65 GTO hardtop with white interior, 4-speed, etc. We changed it's clutch in the snow once. His dad would come out every ten minutes or so and sweep the snow off our legs sticking out from underneath the car. Good times!

10. slammed1

slammed1

Very cool car you have. I was lucky enough to have ridden in a 68 GTO for alot of my child hood years and can say they draw attention everywhere. I like driving my 66 Belair as it gains just as much looks as a well built Impala does.

11. Squablow

Squablow

I did a lot of work on my dad's '65 GTO, same red on parchment colors, but a 4 speed hardtop with a correct tripower added. He has Hurst wheels and redlines on his, and I love that setup.

I have a '65 Tempest 2dht myself and I've got a set of Kustomags that I want to run on it, fairly similar looking wheel, also with redline tires.

Anything is better than those Centerlines.

12. Not limited to the '66.

1964 through 1967 all could have had the same issue. The drain holes in the corners of the pillers would clog up with debris causing the corners of the dash under the windshield to rot out. The water would then run down the dash, rot the lower portion of the dash out and then onto the floor, rotting the floor pan out. Very common!

Another bad area is the rear window although '64 & '65 rot differently than '66 & '67 due to the design but rot in a similar fashion. Debris sits under the trim and acts like a sponge absorbing and holding water and moisture rotting the lower channel/panel out. That water runs down into the trunk rotting the trunk pan and lower quarters out.

The bottom line is that it all starts with either the front of the back glass so be certain that those areas are clean, repaired and sealed.

13. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Congratulations on getting your dream car. I'm still looking for a cherry '66 Chevelle SS396 (black, bench seat, 4spd) to replace the one I bought new in late 1965. I'll probably find a perfect replacement just about the time my bank account won't support the deal.:eek::D

Frank

14. The Continental

The Continental
    from Texas

Love it, and before I saw the last pic I was thinking it needed some new wheels. The steelies and dog dish caps are cool, but the GTO needs some rallys. I'd also dig red lines and color matched wheels.

15. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

The HAMB cut off is 65 not 64. Nice Goat, my pops has a blue ragtop just like it ! I'd love to see some Cragars and Redlines, or pinner whites.

16. CRH

CRH
    from Utah

Sorry dude! I guess Ryan pissed you off with the Riviera thread he wrote. And he did say that HAMB cutoff is 1965. I guess it would have been more appropriate if I had a 1940's truck cab "bobber" with a tractor grill and a 392 Hemi as my favorite.

Crap, maybe I could fit in if I make it a gasser! I was also thinking of putting a Pontiac straight eight in the GTO. Then it would have a flathead...

Honestly, if someone posted a '32 3 window that was just pulled out of hiding, with ugly doodads distastefully installed in 1984 that obviously need to go, we would still all cheer for the wonderful find. I promise a '65 GTO can be built period correct... And I mean '60s period correct. I don't expect everyone to like a '65 GTO, and I'm not saying it is the same as a '32. I just wanted to share excitement for my dream car find, which car technically fits the regulations of the HAMB and will eventually be put together properly.

I would be annoyed if the HAMB was flooded with muscle car blab. I just couldn't resist posting a little blurb about my happiest find! If you actually read the entire first post you would see my point a little better. It was really exciting to find a car with such originality, well worn but not worn out. And it would look neat towing a tiny trailer with a midget racer on the back.

Oh wait...more ideas to gain acceptance with the opinion nazis! What if I removed the convertible assembly and installed a Carson top? Or I could retro fit Ardun heads to one of those crappy, nasty, way-too-new-school Pontiac V-8s. All I have to do is drill some extra holes in the block with a mag drill for exhaust ports! Heck, I could retro fit '50 Pontiac taillights to the back of the GTO, too.

:("Why can't we be friends, why can't we be friends da da daa daa da" :(:(:(

17. CRH

CRH
    from Utah

Rally I's do look super good. My '65 Lemans convertible (326 HO!) has 'em, and they look beautiful. I also think the car still sits too high, but I can't do 15" wheels. If it was a hardtop, I would try plain steel black rear wheels with Blue Streaks and 14" Astro-style wheels on the front with a thin white stripe or redline.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2012
  18. 39ChevyBob

39ChevyBob

Good on you, CRH. I like the dog dishes as well. Had a 65 Lemans in high school, and always drool over the 65 Goats. Your one lucky dude to make this score, and looks like it won't take much to get back to full original. Congrats!

19. fatkoop

fatkoop

Great score!! I love '65's too, especially converts, but I bought a '71 GTO hardtop on October 1, 1971, and I still have it. 158,000 miles, never had the valve covers off or the distributor out, original interior including floor mats. Runs/drives almost as good as new. It's a great car, but my '40 is way more fun.

20. CRH

CRH
    from Utah

Thanks man. One thing is for sure, a '65 Le Mans is just as cool!!!

Here are a couple of pics in the garage. I finally got the top to fold up today.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

21. 455stage1

455stage1
    from kentucky

Nice GTO. Interested in the tach. Sent a private email last night.

22. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

You don't need to apologize to anyone for posting that beautiful car on here. The HAMB is 65 and earlier (64 and earlier for the classifieds) so you fit right in. As for your excitement, I can GUARANTEE you that if I bought that car I would be posting it on every forum there is ! :D

Don

23. Grumbler

Grumbler

That is a beautiful car, case closed!

24. Holy crap! I want one. I have had a few hard tops. I have always wanted a '65 rag. Nice score!

25. 345winder

345winder
    BANNED

Yes,the cuttofff IS 1965 , but pretty sure its been mentioned before, no musclecars,just like no VW.s

26. So then why did you bother to look? :rolleyes:

CHR, I'm starting to like those poverty caps. It kinda gives the car that simple "hey I don't mean no harm" look.

I've had the Rally 1's, the standard Tempest style wheel cover, the very rare spinner spoke wheel cover, Rally II's and various mag wheels in the 40+ years I've had '65 GTO's but never poverty caps. I think if you went with the poverty caps and either the redlines or just straight blackwalls you would definitely be different from the crowd.

27. slowmotion

slowmotion

What Don said ^^^

That last garage pic above looks as if it could have been taken 47 yrs ago, sweet.

28. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane
    from New York

Rallye 1 with red lines please..........Car looks fantastic

29. BLUMEANIE

BLUMEANIE
    from St. Louis

Two words... Red. Lines.

Nice score!

30. Right place n right time equals new owner congrats man! Would have been tough of him to get rid of his dads car! I still got my dads n probably always will!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.