Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My "You didn't build that" 27 T Roadster build thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by daddio211, Sep 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. daddio211

daddio211

Larry, I've kept close tabs on your build. Although you shouldn't be flattered (its just ME for hell's sake!) please know that what you've shared has been VERY instrumental in my planning!

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

2. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Well thanks :) I'm definitely interested in how yours goes. I'm trying to make more progress on mine,stuff just keeps coming up.

3. t-rod

t-rod

Looks great! My Mom's in St. George, next time I'm down that way mayhaps I'll get in contact with you.

4. daddio211

daddio211

Please do! I've met a bunch of Northern Utah HAMBers who've stopped in town, all great guys!

5. daddio211

daddio211

I picked up a pair of rear bones today, GIVEN to me by a dear friend. The plan is to make a functional 4 link using the rear bones on the bottom, attached to the outside of the chassis. Top bars of the 4 link will be standard fare, and it will all be suspended by a transverse leaf.

This may sound like over kill, but the long standing argument of rear bones bending and breaking won't be won or lost on this T. I tend to drive my cars pretty hard, not thrashing, but I really use and enjoy them. This may mean tire smoke and exiting countless corners sideways, and I'd much rather err on the side of caution when building a chassis.

6. Cshabang

Cshabang

7. Kramer

Kramer

Please post pictures of how you do this, I'm very interested in how this will look.

8. daddio211

daddio211

Very cool man, feel free to borrow any ideas and direct me as we go. I'm never above accepting advice!

Sure will. It's really pretty simple though, just picture a four bar rear end with the lower bars as split rear bones. Nothing particularly special, just a little stronger this way. Did I mention I'm running a transverse leaf? I don't think its possible to build critical components too strong, and I think arrangement this will hold up fine.

9. Kramer

Kramer

I was hoping you were putting the upper bars inside the frame, to hide them. And if so, see how you did it. I don't know if that can be done, or will work, but that is what I am going to try with mine. I want the rear bones to be the only thing you see, but like you, I want the strength. Mine is also a transverse leaf.

10. daddio211

daddio211

Yes, the top bars will most definitely be under the car inside the frame rails and viewable to ants and snakes only. Both rails are now sliced, bent and spot welded. Cross members have been started.

Hopefully I can get up there later this afternoon and see the progress. If so I'll post pictures. :)

11. daddio211

daddio211

Kramer, you see how the top bars are mounted in the second pic on post 26? I think Bob is going to replicate that fairly closely with new hardware. Stay tuned, things are moving fairly quickly and I'm sure we'll all see Bob's vision soon.

My wife and I stopped by tonight, and I'm blown away by the progress. The rails are cut, bent and set, and follow the contour of the body nicely, without being over-done. Bob has built a few chassis' that follow the body contour completely, but with 30 cuts and 30 welds PER RAIL I didn't opt for that kind of labor.

My upholstery buddy came by too and discussed what he wanted to have happen in preparation for his work.

Please enjoy tonight's picture show... :D

Attached Files:

12. daddio211

daddio211

A few more things I should mention. Two of Bob's grandsons (10 & 12?) are doing a lot of the work with him. Good kids, hard workers, and they know which end of a wrench to use.
    The front rails are long, they'll be trimmed back about 6", but he needs to mock everything up first.

While sitting in the car I realized there is NO WAY IN HELL my 17" Corvette steering wheel was going to work. I need to find a 14" sprint car wheel that fits my budget... cheap.

Wife said tonight she's not set on black, now she likes red oxide. Alright by me, I love red oxide!

Thanks for riding along, I'll keep posting updates as they happen! :)

Last edited: Sep 8, 2013
  13. 94hoghead

94hoghead

Lookin good! I love those T's.....

14. daddio211

daddio211

Thanks man, I'm pretty excited! Maybe she'll even let me ride in it! :D

15. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Not to hijack here, just to show my version of a modified triangulated 4 bar rear suspension I designed for my 26 RPU.

I fabricated my own rear bones and the top bars are up inside the frame. I will be using coil overs however a transverse rear spring would also work.
    Larry.

Attached Files:

• 213.JPG
      213.JPG
      File size:
      216.7 KB
      Views:
    • 212.JPG
      212.JPG
      File size:
      252.2 KB
      Views:
    • 003.jpg
      003.jpg
      File size:
      243.3 KB
      Views:
    • 010.JPG
      010.JPG
      File size:
      205.7 KB
      Views:
  16. daddio211

daddio211

Hi jack away Larry! As I recall you re-engineered that rear setup a few times before you were happy. I love your build man, and can't wait to see you running the road with one of Tim's Y-blocks!

Edit: in fact, for anyone that hasn't seen your awesome build they can check it out here! http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=460009

17. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Yes I did. My first attempt would have rode like a buckboard and been quite scary on the road.
    You can count me in on the can't wait club, probably #1 :)
    This is still fun and eventually it will be quite satisfying to get behind the wheel of my first scratch build.
    And yes, the Y block is icing on the cake. :)

18. Have you considered leaving it yellow? That paint job looks pretty good in the photos.

19. flyin flattie

flyin flattie
    from Redmond OR

good luck man looks good. I love those 26 27 T's there so pretty and simple and just the right size.

I added a picture of my build. a little something to get you excited for yours and see some ideas you might get. never know.:D

Attached Files:

20. daddio211

daddio211

Funny you mention that, we actually discussed that tonight. I hate the color though, and although the paint is okay, there's a few scratches and dents that need to be addressed. Don't get me wrong, I don't hate yellow, I just hate THIS yellow for some reason.

Most of the body work is good enough, just a good DA and re-spray should suffice. The few areas of concern will need to be cut ground down to see whats under there.

21. Kramer

Kramer

I remember seeing those pictures in your build thread. My rear bones will be mounted solid to the axle like stock ones, which, I believe, means they need to mount on the frame in relation to where the bones mount to the frame. Which will make it more difficult with longer bones.

22. Maybe I just don't pay attention very well but this is the first I've heard of this. Duh! Great start! I too have put into motion the plan to build a T modified when my A is done, even ran it past Kathy and she was OK with it. Bonus! :D (probably have to sell something to keep it though) After looking at you "inspiration" photos I would say I'm going a little more along these lines.

**believe it or not I will be going Flatty with this one, already have it built**

[​IMG]

Keep up the good work! Drive it to Speed Week next year. ;)

23. daddio211

daddio211

Bitchin brother! Deuce rails and a flattie too!

Make a side profile out of construction paper with your lower bones and upper bars. The tops can be mounted on bushings, but you want to make sure the diff doesn't twist too much as it travels, otherwise you end up with pinion issues.

24. BTW, I hate yellow.

25. daddio211

daddio211

I KNEW the Y-block guy would succumb to the flat side! LOL, just messin' with ya brother! I'm surprised you didn't see it on FB.

I dig modifieds, but I want to be able to travel in it too. Need to hit 400 miles one way (San Diego, Scottsdale, Yellowstone) without too many aches and pains. We need the trunk (what will be left of it) and it will have a hidden hitch too for a cargo platform or even a teardrop trailer. Can't wait to see what you do with one, but get back on that A Tudor, would ya!?

26. The A will be moving along shortly I hope, just waiting to get a few things out of the way. When Derrek gets my floor done I will be on it!

Flatty's have the same firing order as a Y so they both sound cool. ;)

27. daddio211

daddio211

We're going to have to have a Y-block talk in the not-too-distant-future. I have a '30 Sport Coupe and a Y-block, want it on deuce rails with a slight chop and a fold down roof. It'll be a few years out I'm sure, but you'll get the call for the engine build for sure!

28. No problem! Got any Flathead dress up goodies? we can do a little tradin'

29. daddio211

daddio211

I've got a few goodies from my dad, but don't know if I'm ready to let go of any of that stuff yet. :eek:

30. daddio211

daddio211

Stopped by Bob's tonight. He hasn't had a lot of time this week, but the body is back off and the suspension is being mocked up.

There will be much more progress next week!

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.