Register now to get rid of these ads!

Are Ford F1 pickups cool?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by drptop70ss, Sep 25, 2012.

1. drptop70ss

drptop70ss
    from NY

Well GM is all I really know but I like anything old. A guy approached me and has a 1951 F1 pickup truck for sale, solid truck but in pieces. I know nothing about these trucks, are they desirable? Do they look cool hot rodded? How is the parts availability, the same or worse than GM pickups of the same era? The truck has the painted grille with the 3 bullets in it, just hard to visualize it since it is all apart.

2. Hot Rod 50

Hot Rod 50

Search "ford f-1" and tons of threads will pops up. And yes they look baddass done correctly.

Oh and prepare for a flaming.

3. 52lomofo

52lomofo

i have a 52 for sale in peices $1000

4. Rich Wright

Rich Wright

F-1s are neat trucks. Like most late '40s early'50 pickups they need very little to make them Just Right:)

5. greaseyknight

greaseyknight
    from Burley WA

6. Forest doesn't like um! Do YOU like um?

Attached Files:

7. RHOPPER

RHOPPER

We all hate them. Get rid of it. Bring it to my house and I'll throw it away for you.

8. Hell YES!!!!!!!! At least I think so.....

9. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

It's a Ford man so go for it if you want something that's looks cool sitting in your driveway. But if you want to get out and see the U.S.A in style, Chevrolet is the only way to go.

10. alicia-dusty

alicia-dusty

Never met an old truck I did'nt like.

11. drptop70ss

drptop70ss
    from NY

Well, not like it is a slam dunk, some older stuff is considered desirable and some isnt, others taste may not be the same as mine. There was a post on a 42 chevy 2dr last week and the consensus is that they are not normally sought after, I thought it would make a cool cruiser.
    Anywho my main reason for asking is for parts availability, searching the net I do not see the coverage for parts like the chevy trucks have, at least for the 51 F1.

Thanks for the link with all the pics!

12. When ya first look at one it is kind ugly...but they grow on ya like moss on a tree!

13. newrider3

newrider3

14. atch

atch

15. mtflat

mtflat

16. atch

atch

that's too bad. i've never ordered anything from them. i can, however, attest to the quality and fit of stuff from carpenter and drake.

17. If you have to ask....:rolleyes:

18. Same experience here. And their "good" stuff like tailgates and running boards are usually made by someone else and can be found cheaper elsewhere

19. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

20. Nope, not really.........................................

21. outlaw256

outlaw256

i dont know about where your at but around here it dont matter if its ford chevy or anyother kinda truck.if its a old one and its runnin, its desireable.hell if they hotrod nashs ........

22. Are they desireable??

Are you looking to flip it or make it your own?

Why ask us to decide if you find one desireable?

And the search function is your friend.

23. hopped up

hopped up
    from So Cal

Duh! They ain't "cool" they're HOT!

24. carmuts

carmuts

I hope so. After I get my cab home that goes with my front clip, hoping it will be a quick sale. No telling when I am going to get the cab. Rod

25. Nailhead Brooklyn

Nailhead Brooklyn

Why do you care what anyone else thinks? They aren't driving it...

26. Additional parts sources would include:

joblots automotive

macs antique auto

27. drptop70ss

drptop70ss
    from NY

Asking because desirability and popularity is a big factor on being to find parts, anyone who knows me knows I dont sell anything unless I have to so this is not a flip deal. I have never even looked at one before yesterday, like I said I do not deal with fords other than a 70 fastback mustang I built for a friend. That just tought me that I dont want to own a mustang. Most of the trucks I see hotrodded are NOT the style I am looking at, similar truck but not with the 3 tooth grille. Most look to be the 48-50 grille style or maybe a later one? The 51s with the 3 tooth grille seem to be restored to stock more than rodded, at least from the pictures I am finding. Not the prettiest truck stock IMO so looking for ideas to hot rod it, if it werent so solid I wouldnt even consider it.

Thanks to all the guys with links for parts and forums, much appreciated!

Last question is regarding the vin number. Truck has a tag riveted on the passenger side of the firewall in the engine compartment with a serial number. Is that the VIN? I have read that there is supposed to be a tag in the glove compartment with the VIN but I didnt check there since I didnt know about it. Which is correct for a 1951?

Last edited: Sep 26, 2012
  28. SlamIam

SlamIam

On my 51 the VIN is on a plate riveted to the inside of the glove box door, and also stamped into the top of the frame rail near the engine on the passenger side. The tag on the firewall is just a makers plate on mine.

My low 51 F1 always gets lots of attention. It is completely updated with IFS and 4-link underneath, but looks stock inside and out. The grill you don't like is the thing people always comment positively about on mine - three Dagmars just scream the 50's, and nothing else on the road looks like it. Can't go to a gas station without someone or a group wanting to talk about it. 51-52's were cheap here 20 years ago, but now most have been parted out, restored or rodded - and go for a lot more money. Fenders, hoods, doors and some of the trim pieces are in demand since no one re-pops them in steel, and other bits including the steering gear, brakes, shock mounts and pedal assemblies are sought after by the builders of early cars.

BTW, I like any old truck of any make and find that the guys around here who build and drive them have lots more in common than just the make. It's rare to see any truck older than 1960 on the road, so it's pure delight when we do.

29. fleetwood39

fleetwood39

F1 pick-ups grow on you. I happened into my 1950 F1 on accident. I had really wanted a 1954 or 1955 Chevrolet pick-up with a hydro. The Chevy didn't happen and the F1 did. I am having a great time making the Ford my own. I am currently working on lowering and cleaning up the chassis. Everything is what you make it. Some nice Mercury add-on parts and pieces do make them much more cool though....

Attached Files: