Register now to get rid of these ads!

How to fund the project?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cmarcus, Sep 25, 2012.

1. cmarcus

cmarcus

Hey all!
    I am sure this is a day-old subject, but would love some ideas in this area. I am in my mid-20s, married, and work a full time job, but that income needs to go to the family. I have an absolute passion for cars, but need some way to help fund my project. Ideally, it would be to find a part-time gig, but was wondering if anyone out there has ideas? I would love to simply clean some local shop's garage after hours, and do some side-work for under-the-table cash.

Also, if anyone has any needs for help, I am in the Chicago area!

Thanks guys!

2. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I'd look at drugs and prostitution...

3. Flat-Foot

Flat-Foot
    from Locust NC

If you know parts you can buy and sell. I have friends that make good money doing this, but you really gotta know your stuff. I am clueless so I work a second job and count on friends to find me good deals.

Good Luck!

4. oldolds

oldolds

Learn how to bartend. A few hours a week can make some big $$$'s at the right place. Then talk to the patrons. A bar that has costruction workers is good. They get into all kind of places and find some cool things.

5. cmarcus

cmarcus

Haha! I thought about both of these - my wife shot me down. Too bad...

6. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

You're on the right track dedicating regular income to family. Years ago, wife and I set up a budget (that word does NOT mean 'diet') so we could see (and adjust periodically) where money is going, and where it should go. We used Larry Burkette's program, but there are many out there. Since then (over 30 yrs ago) we have paid cash for every new car we purchased, and supported a hobby of hot rods, collector cars and owning/flying an airplane. Because I have slightly above-average income (not WAY above, just a bit above) and we only have one child (now grown and on his own), it was not as much of a struggle for us as it might be for others, but it can be done if you're willing to go get that extra job (keeping in mind that the wife and kids would like to see you from time to time. Your investment in a hot rod will be largely controlled by how much scrounging you can do, what skills (mechanical, design, welding, body/metal work, electrical, etc) you currently possess, and whether you have sufficient room to actually construct something. I have a good friend that completely built his 28 RPU in a small tent/barn whose interior dimensions were only about a foot more than the actual car itself. He didn't get it done in a month, but he completed it. Better if you have a little more room, especially if it means your wife doesn't have to park outside and walk to the house in the rain/snow/sleet/wind/etc.

dj

7. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

It's tough being young and struggling to keep a family clothed and fed and still trying to have a few extra bucks for hobby kind of stuff. We have all been there and it feels like if we don't do it right now it will never happen. The only thing I can offer you is that life does get easier financially as you get older.

The part time job is one avenue, but it has it's downsides too. First of all, a body can only take so much and your primary day job can suffer. I took on a second job years ago, I would come home from my regular job and go to the next job. My life started to fall apart though. I was not spending as much time with the family as I should, and wasn't there to fix things that broke, so I ended up paying someone else to do them.

Most of us have also had to sell half finished projects over the years when some family emergency came up, but that is just what you do and you don't ever look back on it. Be patient, your time will come.

Don

8. Irishman

Irishman

Man, I got the same ball and chains. Getting a part time gig isn't an option for me.

I manage to make progress (slow progress) by trying to use as many parts that came with my car as possible. It's common to see me hunched over the wire wheel cleaning up old nuts and bolts rather than running to Ace Hardware. I do all the work myself because I can't afford to pay someone to do it for me.

Costs are inevitable, but the trick is to keep them as low as possible. Some things are big ticket items like glass, upholstery (unless you are lucky enough to be able to sew!).

Bleh, it's become some weird OCD mission for me now...building the damn car with virtually no budget.

Point is, if *I* can do it, then I'm sure you'll find a way.

Determination and passion are really half the battle. You got them and you're already ahead in my book.

Good luck to you sir!

9. Alex D.

Alex D.
    from Hydes, MD.

Your family comes first and a happy Wife is a happy life. Try doing odd jobs and under table work and dont forget to barter for parts and labor. There is also ebay and craigs list for stuff you have lying around that you will not use. Sometimes I will go to flea markets and yard sales looking for things to flip on ebay. I have been real lucky at times. Don't sell anything that belongs to the wife

10. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

Buy Low Sell High. The old "Flip" is how I do it. But you do have to have the initial investment, and with a new family thats hard trust me I know. I am in my early 40's and its still a struggle at times. Look at your other hobbies. Lets say you know music, how about buying and selling guitars/instruments. What do you do for a living? Can you do side work? There are all kinds of ways to make extra cash if your serious about doing it. I buy and sell vintage BMX parts (ok I buy and hoard JMC's). Hell try to find a 40/50/60's 4 door make a cool cruiser out of it don't sink your whole life savings into it but get it running, and safe and sell it and move on to your next project. You can find 4 doors cheap, and they can make cool family cruisers. Or like the other guys said, Crack and Whores. But i prefer to stay out of prison and enjoy my freedom to much..

11. I'll bet you look good in pumps. :D

When I was young and had a wife and child I used to buy old car bodies and stuff engines in them and sell them for extra cash. Didn't get rich at it but it kept me in parts and diapers.

12. cmarcus

cmarcus

Funny you say 4 doors - I am currently working on "flipping" my current project - a 1974 AMC Javelin, for a 1963 Cadillac Series 62 4 door. He doesn't want a lot for it, but unforuntaly for what I can get for the Javelin, it will be a break even on the Cadillac, which needs tires, and some light bodywork (which is where $$$ comes into play). So we will see.

Thank you all for your advice!

13. sell your plasma..no no no not that plasma, your blood plasma...heard it pays big!

14. Find a sugar daddy..
    I quit that job it was a lot of stress.

Im now a cougar companion/gimp when need it...

15. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

collect cans and scrap metals. I new a guy that bought a truck and a corvette doing that. Think of all the bottles and cans that bars end up with.

16. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

Well you can find tires cheap depending on what your lookig for, and body work can be done right if you just take your time. The biggest thing I can say is don't trade for somthing you don't really like, because you will hate working on it. The caddy could be real cool. And could be done for little money if you get creative. As long as it runs and stops you are way ahead of the game....

17. cmarcus

cmarcus

Yeah, my hope with the Caddy (which does run and drive and has no body rot, just one decent dent) is to get it lowered, tires, and a cheap primer job. Once that is done, I will drive 'er for a few years, then flip for something else.

18. well i dont have alot of insight into this. but save, its slow but it can work. i havnt put any money into my hot rod fund in years. but i was able to put away enough "something" substantial. turns out its the engine rebuild. i saved since high school so that i would be able to have a decent chunk to put to the pickup. as for tires. i dont know what you need. but surley you know someone that works walmart... they get a discount on tires, mount, and balance. give them a little something for their trouble and you saved some coin there. i am trying to find ways to get extra income myself. my main concern for it is i need to replace my daily. and with fuel prices the way they are i want something very efficient. of course when i get the willys back on the road i will probably drive that more anyway.

but there was a lot of good advice, here and it also depends on your skills, but if you can remodel a basement, or do tile work, sell parts, flip cars, etc. can do you good. my neighbor across the street buys newer cars with issues cheap and fixes them. then sells them. good luck.

19. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

You can lower one of them for almost nothing Cut the coils and Block the rear. Tires, well depends on what you want. I have seen guys make they're own whitwalls with a grinder ( I said I have seen it done, I personally have not done it.) And you could prime a whole car (cheap laquer primer for under $100)

20. hickatron

hickatron

Im 23 and a new dad, the only way my car is getting built is lots of parts trading and side work.
    Learn how to service semi tailors go to the small trucking cos and offer to service their trailers for 25$ a pop. Thats under cutting the industry standerd by like half

21. I frequent the swap meets, buy parts at low prices and clean/paint them to sell at the next swap meet. I try to stick with parts I know well so I don't get stuck with them. I rent a small garage to store my parts in and spend a little free time cleaning and preparing my old junk for sale day.
    I also do a little wiring and mechanic work on the side for hotrods and old cars. Works for me but don't expect to get rich quick...I suppose it averages out to 3-400 bucks a month in the summer.

22. gasolinescream

gasolinescream

Do you waste money on other things? Eating out, smoking, take away food at work, 4 expensive coffees a day, too much beer????

It's amazing the things you can do without if your dead set about wanting something. Just depends how bad you want it.

I'm sure i'm not the only one here that has eaten noodles and tuna for 3 weeks so they could buy something for their car.

Good luck:cool:

23. onlyonthurs62

onlyonthurs62

I just turned 30 and have a young family my self. It is very hard to do your passion while being the sole bread winner. Im just starting my project so I know this will take TIME....at least Im not in a hurry and Im happy I have a passion for cars. It will get done eventually

24. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I've been told I have nice calves, but if its summertime, I'd have to wax my back first.

25. Take out a bunch of credit cards and max them out, then take out a few loans to try to pay off the credit cards, but spend the money on cars and parts instead. Oh and marry someone who has crippling student loan debt. Seems to work for me.

26. 74bowtie

74bowtie

Selling car parts is the way I also create the funds for the hotrod. I goto car shows for the flea market, estate sales, Junkyards, auctions and placed an ad on craigs list for parts wanted. I bought a used blast cabinet and a powder coat setup. I can do pretty well, ebay is my main place to sell.

27. Three Widow's Garage

Three Widow's Garage

It will be a big help if the wife is on board and enjoys cars also. If not it will eventually become a problem you will spend to much time and or money on the car, the the wife gets jealous/ pissed ect. then you also get to pay alamony & child support. Donner cars for parts have worked good for me you will use a lot of little things that you don't realize you need at first, plus you can sell parts and scrap them when your done.

28. jimbousman

jimbousman

29. powmia

powmia

Buying and selling cars worked for me. Ive done well buying mid 90s cars shining them up and turning a good profit.