Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Doing Falcons Right

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by falconizer_62, Jul 23, 2008.

1. rocketsam

rocketsam
    from Phoenix,AZ

Haha they are 13s, ive had the worst luck trying to find wheels, or people not wanting to ship wheels. I plan on rolling on them for a while till i can get something different. Datsun wheels work? Or you can order 4 lug smoothies online, believe their 85 a wheel

2. cage66

cage66
    from reno

I am thinking about finding 4 Honda accord spare rims and re rimming them.
    Main reason I want to get away from the 13s are the lack of tire options and PRICE of said tires.
    Heres a pic I found of some re rimmed Accord spares. They are 8" I think I would go 6"
    [​IMG]

Chances are I am just wasting time figuring all this out and I am likely picking up a 64 falcon to swap out all the suspension and part out/scrap the rest.
    Have one lined up just gotta wait till I am up there to pick it up>
    I know the 64 has a wider axle but seems it is only 3/4" each side so hopefully I can still stuff supremes or something equally cool under it.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2012
  3. Tomkat39

Tomkat39

Here's some of my 60 Comet 4 dr wagon. 65 Mustang front susp. 302 mustang , 74 maverick 8" rear.

Attached Files:

4. rocketsam

rocketsam
    from Phoenix,AZ

those accord wheels look like the same steel wheels, just without the small nubs on the insides of them, they dont look bad at all!

5. cage66

cage66
    from reno

Does anyone know if you can drill the old falcon/mustang 4 lug drums to ford 5 lug?
    4 x 114.3 (4.25) to 5 x 4.5 (I think)

6. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Nope. But you might contact ScareBird disc brakes and take a look at the aluminum hubs that he does. They direct fit Falcon four lug spindles, and I think he could probably do five lug for you. Plus his disc brake kits are great.

7. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Falcons are 4 on 4.5. It wasn't until the Pinto they went down to 4.25.

I can't speak for the rear axle, but the front hubs on an early Falcon are square, so there isn't room to go to five.

8. Lowriders Art Gallery

Lowriders Art Gallery
    from Montana

This is just the thread I've been waiting for. I have a 63 Falcon convert that has been burned, and one that has been rolled, and a 4dr parts car. Hopefully I have enough to get started on a v8 powered convert. Pictures real soon.

9. cage66

cage66
    from reno

Thank you I got the 4 X 114.3 right just got confused.
    If 13" tires weren't so damn expensive I wouldn't care to swap just yet. But I cant drop that much cash and still be on stock 4 lug 13s
    Was the 5 X 4.5 correct for the 5 lug swap?

10. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Yes, Ford 5-lug is 5 on 4.5. Have you looked into 14-inch four lugs, off a Maverick or 6-cyl Mustang? That's what I've got on one of my birds.

11. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Yes. I think in metric terms it's expressed as 5 on 112.5 or something like that. Take a look on E-Bay motors, there are several 13" tires that are reasonably priced, just not white walls these days. If you walk into Discount tire or something similar these days, they make it sound like they are not available accept as "antique" tires. This is just not true. Check Pep Boys too. They have several 13" tires in their Cornell line.

12. cage66

cage66
    from reno

Whats the smallest diameter you can run on a 2 speed with a 170 without changing too much. Still would like to cruise the freeway if possible But there are some CHEAP 175/70 13s on CL that I may have to pick up for the time being.

13. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

I hear pep Boys discontinued the 155/80/13 skinny white walls, but are still making them in black wall, which suck big time considered Cornells were some of the best lookin skinnies ever...
    Hankook is still making them i think, Uniroyal fer sure and Firestone too. They go about 50 a piece more or less, not expensive at all compared to most tire prices.
    13s are best proportionate on such small rides IMO.

14. cage66

cage66
    from reno

Can I run 175/70 13s without blowing up my engine on the freeway. 170 with 2 speed auto.

15. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

On a Falcon, it's not the trans that matters to RPM; two-speed auto or three-speed manual, they're both 1:1 in top gear. It's the rear axle that matters. My FM2 car has 3.50 gears, my stick car has 3:10s, and my buddy's runs 3.20s behind the FM2.

All of the 13-inch tires discussed so far are shorter than stock and are going to effectively increase final-drive ratio.

16. For the 5 lug conversion, you need to get 5 lug front drums from a V8 car, but you can re drill the rear axle. DID this on my 62 Ranchero.
    As for Wheels, I bought some stock 240Z steel 14" for $20.00 each and found that 14" tires were still reasonably priced. Worked out well on my wife's 61 Comet wagon with a 200/C4 combo that I swapped in

17. LOPESphotographics

LOPESphotographics

Love the Comet! I've to a '63 too. Hope to see more & stay safe out there.

18. cage66

cage66
    from reno

Quick question. I may get a 200 from my bosses daughters old mustang. He said it started burping oil through the carb and running shitty so they took it out and put a 250 in.
    What would cause this? Blow by threw the rings, too much oil...?

19. Blindmule

Blindmule
    from Bama

Love them Falcons myself I have 4:D

Anybody interested I have a 65 Wagon I may sell it's in really good shape!!! Make a great Hot Rod or put back Original!!!

20. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

The sad fact of the matter is that these cars are not super comfortable on today's freeways in stock trim. I might get some flack from the east coast guys on that comment where they still have 55 mph speed limits, but I know here in Phoenix, if your not running 75, your gonna end up a hood ornament for someone texting.

Most of the wagons have a 3.50 rear gear that makes them reach for the moon as far as revs, then with a stock cam and such the Falcon six is all done at about 4000. You might get lucky and have 3.20 in the rear gear on yours with the two speed, but that is only marginally better. I have yet to find a good overdrive/automatic solution yet, so the girls wagon runs a 200/c4 combo and a 2.80 rear gear. The C4 having three gears has a much lower first gear to get things moving, and the 2.80 final gears keep the revs down.

The Ranchero is set up to be much better all around with a 170 and T50 5 speed with a .80 over drive and 3.10 rear end. Just wish I could teach her how to shift... Not a talent Chinese women adapt to quickly, or at all.

Long story short, for driving yours for now, get the tallest 13" you can find and slap those puppies on. I know that a 195/75-13" was out there at one point, and I seem to remember a 205/75-13" as well in the not too distant past. May be someone has some on the shelf.

21. EColey

EColey
    from Denison

by any chance does anyone know where to get a set of chrome 4 lug steels, 13 or 14s?

22. cage66

cage66
    from reno

Scored some 14s yesterday for $10 With the caps and trim rings
    YES $10
    [​IMG]

Need Louvers: I have the 3.50 gears but I will be looking for some 205/70 or 75 14s now which will be much easier.
    Also my wife is Japanese and I tell her all the time that she is not helping the stereotypes.
    haha

23. EColey

EColey
    from Denison

jealous

24. cage66

cage66
    from reno

25. cage66

cage66
    from reno

26. 65falcon

65falcon

Well after much editing my 65 falcon now has a running Fe in it.

[​IMG]

For this to work...I had to make headers, exhaust, motor mounts, trans mount, trans tunnel, install a MII cross member and "edit" it to clear the rear sump oil pan.

Crites makes a shock tower shaving kit, headers and mounts but I thought a MII swap would be easier originally....not so much.

A short video of it running:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqkdx1eAwF8&feature=channel&list=UL

27. falconizer_62

falconizer_62

Nice job on the swap. I haven't seen an FE falcon before. Keep an eye on your belt. I used the same system and it kept throwing the belt at high revs and no water pump is bad for a new motor. Hopefully yours will fare better.

28. 65falcon

65falcon

I was planning on carrying a spare with me....How long/what RPM did it take to toss yours off the first time?
    I am not planning on revving this that high 5000rpm maybe?

29. j.r. Nice

j.r. Nice

I haven't looked lately, but I assumed Crites made enough stuff to make this easier.

30. 65falcon

65falcon

Nothing for an FE/MII combo in a Comet or Falcon - only for cars with shaved shock towers. Even the rear trans mount does not fit with the offset required with the MII - I bought it and tried...