Register now to get rid of these ads!

1949 3600- paint revival

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Coach529, Sep 25, 2012.

1. Coach529

Coach529

1949 3600 project- I do not plan on painting this truck........at least not anytime in the near future.

[​IMG]

What are the best steps to revive the existing paint?

I am looking into buying a Porter Cable 7424XP Car Buffer to aid in this process.

2. Coach529

Coach529

3. squirrel

squirrel

Wash it, then use some rubbing compound, then polishing compound. Try not to take off more paint than you have to. And you'll probably want to wax it when you're done to keep it from rusting too much more.

There are lots of brands you can choose from, most of them work ok if you follow the directions on the can.

4. Coach529

Coach529

I was thinking there would be an old technique or method other than the standard 4 step process...............but I will give it a try and post results.

5. That is the old technique. Rub it out and wax it.

You got some rust issues but not real bad rust issues, if you like the way it looks now except for the shine than the best thing you can do is make it shine and then try and make it stop where it is.

6. FFFFrank

FFFFrank

Where'd that truck come from? You don't see many in the north that don't have rust in the cab corners.

7. Coach529

Coach529

Ha.....sounds good.

I have no problem with the rust at this point. I will hit the whole truck with a good rubbing compound and follow it with a couple coats of good wax to try and protect it.

8. Coach529

Coach529

Suprisingly is came from Ortonville, MN where to the best of my knowledge it spent it's entire life except for the past 6 years. Been stored inside for the past 30 years.

Only bad rust I have found so far is the inner front fender and cab. She is a gem!!

9. FFFFrank

FFFFrank

My 3800 has spent its whole life in MN. No rust anywhere except for the cab corners which are gone. Keep us up to date on this one!

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

10. Coach529

Coach529

Will do!!!

11. monkeyspunk79

monkeyspunk79

Looks like a good candidate for a little rubbing compound and some love. Your Chevy should turn out nice. Here are a few similar threads you may want to check out for info on what products to use. I just did this earlier this summer on my Fleetline and got a lot of really helpful comments. I wet sanded though and then compounded, then followed up with a glaze & wax. Its held up over the cruise season so far...but I'll hit it with another coat of wax before I put it away just to keep rust from creeping up.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=708534

And there's a newer one with a guy with a '53 Olds that had good luck bringing his original finish back.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=735701

Good luck with your AD truck job. Love the big old longbeds!

12. Coach529

Coach529

Awesome, thanks!!

13. Coach529

Coach529

I applied and removed 2 coats of Ultimate Compound tonight on the passenger door and am impressed.

[​IMG]

14. monkeyspunk79

monkeyspunk79

Good deal. You'll get some color back. Looks like an old comfy pair of jeans! I dig it. Now that the paint is thin and exposed more, just make sure you seal it up good when you're done. I used HD Poxy paint sealant and then carnauba over top of that. Its held up well.

15. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you haven't already you might try washing/scrubbing it with CLR like the "patina" freaks do theirs to remove a lot of the light surface rust and the accumulated crud so you just have paint to use the rubbing compound on.
    It looks like you can put a bit of life in that old paint yet.

Back when I was in the Army I watched a couple of Sargents scrub down a 55 or 56 Ford with a couple of cans of Bon Ami one afternoon when I had my Cutlass at the car wash. The part that they hadn't washed yet looked about like the dead paint on your truck. I saw it a few days later and it looked like they had rubbed it out and waxed it after scrubbing the crud off it.

16. Coach529

Coach529

Tell me more about the HD Poxy Paint.

17. Coach529

Coach529

Never thought about the CLR......thanks!!

18. Coach529

Coach529

I assume you wipe down with CLR and then wash it, then wax?

19. I think so. Someone did a post on it awhile back.

20. Coach529

Coach529

I will do a search.......thanks!!

21. Coach529

Coach529

I rubbed the whole truck down with a green scotchbrite pad dipped in full strength CLR. I then was the truck twice with simple green and water with a stiff brush and thoroughly rinsed.

After it dried I gave it a thick coat of wax. Unreal difference!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 29, 2012
  22. Coach529

Coach529

23. That is impressive!!!

Good work!

24. GARY?

GARY?

Nicely done. Looks much better. My '46 could use the same treatment.

25. VonDad

VonDad

Bon Ami's motto was "hasn't scratched yet" with a picture of a baby chick on the label. Old sign painters used it to wash windows before applying gold leaf. Won't scratch glass and leaves it really clean.

Your truck looks great. Totally different. Great job there.

And I think you can still buy Bon Ami only not in cakes like a long time ago. Anyway best to you all

VonDad

26. squirrel

squirrel

It looks clean! Now....if you want to get some shine, you can try polishing it. But I don't know if that would make it look better.

27. Coach529

Coach529

Thanks guys.

I am diggin the satin finish the scotchbrite pads left. The paint is thin in places and i rubbed threw to to the primer, but it looks soo much better.

I am guessing that is the first coat of wax the old girl has ever recieved.

28. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

The bulk of Chevy/GMC truck production from late-47-55 1st was painted what I call "Forest Service Green" unless special ordered by retail or fleet customers.
    Your Sky Blue big truck is a breath of fresh air in a sea of green.

29. Coach529

Coach529

I am really happy with the color.........would not change a thing.

30. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

That came out GREAT!