Register now to get rid of these ads!

Cool upholstery ideas for truck bench?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by EasyBake, Sep 24, 2012.

1. EasyBake

EasyBake
    from Bedford IN

About time to do my bench seat on the c10 looking for some cool ideas? My wife is no shit a rocket scientist/ seamstress so she can handle the sewing for me! I was thinking something cool like a Mexican blanket seat cover! Ok that's a joke but really I need some ideas for something cool!

2. SmoKerch

SmoKerch

Painters canvas or red truck tarp (washed many, many times at the laundromat).

3. BuickBrad

BuickBrad
    from minnesota

4. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Barris used to do stuff like that...but he'd narrow, shorten, and section them; then put 'em in 4-passenger T-Birds with swivel centers...
    If he was drinking Scotch, I'd think the effect would be...different...he must drink Mescal.

5. TheEngineer

TheEngineer
    from New Mexico

6. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

i think a simple tuck n roll is always the coolest. just keep the color darker if you use your truck a lot, wont show the grime

7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Simple is better. The material depends on what kind of machine she has to work with.

Personally I'd go for real roll and pleat with no stitches showing or do something with inserts but still maintain the integrity of the stock seat.

8. EasyBake

EasyBake
    from Bedford IN

She has a few pretty heavy duty machines, one will even sew leather for saddles, but the prob none of the have a big enough cut out to fit the extra material in while working on the seat, so unless she buys another machine it might just be better to pay and get it done.

9. Either black or cream naugahyde in narrow pleats.

10. HellRaiser

HellRaiser
    from Podunk, NE

Hmmm....I like the idea of using the old heavy duty clear plastic seat cover, like came on some of the high end Caddy's back when...They were already form fitted, a clear seat cover...Then instead of having any cloth under the clear plastic, just have the springs showing....Now that would be cool!:cool:

HellRaiser

11. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

I hear that in Mexico they just callem blankets.
    I like the clear plastic idea. THAT would be different.

12. Dan in Pasadena

Dan in Pasadena

Had a thought the other night after finding The Gear Journal website and seeing a thread about old fashioned aluminum lawn chairs. Here:

http://gearjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1610&highlight=Lawn+chair

This got me thinking of the perimeter tube across the top of '47-'54 Chevy truck bench seats and if that were painted aluminum color or remade from stainless it'd be way cool to use the same webbing. Don't know if it could be made to work but it COULD be unique!

Last edited: Sep 25, 2012
  13. squirrel

squirrel

Wife and I stopped by The Thing on I-10 near Willcox recently. They have Indian blankets...I looked at the tag on one, it said MADE IN INDIA

My old work truck has a plain black vinyl cover on it, with just the single seam where the top meets the edge. I guess that would be too boring.

14. I took some blankets and glued a backing material to help the loose weave of the blanket then glued 1/4" foam to that then did a double stitch tuck and roll. Seems to be holding up nicely.
    [​IMG]

15. Wolfman1

Wolfman1

I have to agree with a couple of the other guys, a nice tuck and roll.

16. EasyBake

EasyBake
    from Bedford IN

I kinda like the metal flake glitter vinyl material? Anyone ever worked with it I have heard it does not stretch much and does not hold up well? Thinking about doing the roof heavy metal flake might be cool to match the seat to it?

17. squirrel

squirrel

You mean like the seats at the Diner? That would be neat, but kinda hot and slippery in the summer.

18. EasyBake

EasyBake
    from Bedford IN

Good point! No ac and vinyl suck!