Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Road Trip Revival: Part 2

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Sep 24, 2012.

1. -Brent-

-Brent-

Looks like what I would've mentioned has already been said, so, I'm thinking maybe one of the hide-away lights will stop working.

2. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

Plugged fuel lines
    overheating (stuck thermostat or blown rad. Hose)
    brake issues
    rearend seals
    radio quits working :)
    i am so envious of you guys

3. n847

n847

I'm saying one belt will get eaten. One fuel system will crap out due to crap in the tank/fuel filter. One car will have a brake issue, either seized up at the wheel or a blown out seal. One of the cars (higher mileage car I'd bet) will have transmission slipping issue. There will most deffinetly be a charging issue at some point possibly just caused by a loose and or worn out belt!
    I'd also like to say none of these issues will keep you stranded on the road for more than an hour, and likely not delay your return home by more than a half day!

Good luck, and remember we are all living viacariously through your adventure so document that shit like Bass did (the best road trip thread ever).
    [​IMG]

4. n847

n847

OOH...stuck thermostat thats a good one!

5. n847

n847

I'd also like to know what tools/parts you're taking not that it changes my decisions but I'd like to hear what the "experts" take in this instance!

6. Fuel line plugs...even with new filters it plugs. No brake lights, power steering pump is "jerky" when turning and puking fluid. One flat tire, engine uses 7 quarts of oil on the trip...leaky rear main. While your fixing the rear main seal back home throw a front pump seal in the trans too because it leaks as well...three quartes of ATF lost

Oh, and Ryan forgets that reverse is all the way to the bottom if the shift sequence...has a hairy situation while trying some manual fast shift maneuvers!
    This is on Ryan's car

The other Riv will have power window problems, charging issues and a vibration at high speeds...u joint.

Have fun boys!

7. 60'coupe

60'coupe

The only problem you both will have is from some dodgy Mexican food from some roadside stand, then you will have starter issues from all of the code brown emergency stops.
    60'

8. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Wow... By the looks of things, Norm and I are gonna spend quite a lot of time on the side of the road!

Really, the only thing we plan to do to the cars before we leave is change the oil and check everything else... Look for the obvious. I have a small tool kit waiting for me in MA that I shipped out earlier, but past that we are totally winging it and have decided to mostly prepare for adventure!

There's no telling what will go wrong!

9. -Brent-

-Brent-

Looking at it like an adventure helps, for sure. I've had stuff go awry on cross country trips and always look back at the situations and their solutions with fondness. People think I'm crazy for it but I think the outlook has always helped.

I'll be living vicariously as your trip progresses. Hell, I'm excited for ya! :D

10. 1949*john

1949*john

You won't have a single problem on your 2000 mile trip .

when you guys first start out your knuckles will be white for a while and watching the gauges as much as the road but you will calm down and have a wicked good trip .

honest .

11. NoSurf

NoSurf

Not that you won't- but be safe. Take lot's of pics. I am sure it will be a great drive.

12. Wowcars

Wowcars

13. I say, good luck! That should be fun. I was thinking about how one Riv could pull the other???? Just a thought...

14. That means you literally drive the wheels off everything you own ; p "hell on wheels"

I guess a ground issue and no lights.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

15. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Damnit, I just read through this whole thread and towards the end you posted what I was thinking! :)

My guess was Ryan eating some questionable Mexican food and shitting himself, resulting in a soiled seat.
    That's the only problem. The rest of the trip will be smooth sailing.

Malcolm

16. C. Montgomery

C. Montgomery

you have prepared better than I did! We were picked up at the airport in the car, went to the mall of america and made the deal, checked the oil, filled her up and pointed her south. all we brought was a change of clothes, some money and an Ipod. had a blast though, as I'm sure you will.

17. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I NEVER eat Mexican food north of the Red River... I might be crazy, but I'm not stupid! :)

18. There's gonna be a lot of losers(non-winners?) in this thread, cause I predict clear skies and fair sailing :cool:

If I'm wrong :eek:---I've got you guys covered all thru TN. Truck, trailer and shop on standby. Hell, y'all can even overnight here in the BenD suite. I'll leave the light on....:eek:

19. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

Now thats livin'!

My predictions:
    -Several hundred miles with a hangover
    -in atleast one of the two cars there will be a radio that just won't work
    -faulty fuel gauge
    -"Why yes officer, I know I was speeding. Thing is.....this is my first drive in the new car. I wanted to see what top end was."

Have a safe trip guys!

20. Zombie Hot Rod

Zombie Hot Rod
    from New York

You guys could get a flat tire while cruising down the Cross Bronx Expressway and get rolled on by me and my crew.

[​IMG]

21. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

Be safe and have fun Ryan! I want pics!!!

22. 1953girlracer

1953girlracer
    from Redlands

Starter failure

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

23. I'm predicting the trip getting extended due to the ingestion of a little too much of the local spirits! Good luck and be safe!

24. Firefly

Firefly

Food poisoning from all that gas station cuisine !!

25. skwurl

skwurl

2 flats 1 fuel pump. If you need any help in southwest va or east tn pm me

26. eightbanger

eightbanger

Brake cylinders and herrassment from the cops. Drove my Riv home to Louisiana from Santa Rosa, Ca 10 years ago. similar situation, the car had been driven maybe 1,000 miles in 7 years. made it home-no problems...thats when I completely fell in love with my car. Was herrassed by cops in Arizona (thought I was moving drugs), but the the first thing to go out when I got back home was the brake cylinders.

27. What could go wrong, it is a 65, isn't it still on warranty? Make sure you have your warranty card. hahaha! Have a good trip. Pat

28. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

At least ... you folks will have a beutiful DASh to look at on the two thousand miles home.

[​IMG]

I think that the Riverias have one of the prettiest dashes ... around :)

29. I have a friend that lives about a quarter mile down the street, that always says when I leave, watch for the deer, they'll run out in front of you. I'll past this bit of wisdom on to you, watch out for them, they're tricky little dudes. Good luck, Zip.

30. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

You'll get pulled over while stretching the legs on the new Riviera. From there the police officer will find a brick of black tar heroin taped to the bottom of the "package tray" inside the trunk. Then you will be locked up while your attorney Blake flies in to try to save the day, however not before you make friends with some fellers from AB which never leads to good things. I see 3-5 in the clink and released on good behavior.

Have fun!