Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs RAISING the front of my Shoebox Ford——Ditching the 3" JAMCO springs for 2" Aerostars

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MainProp, Sep 23, 2012.

1. What I am about to illustrate is how I raised my 1951 Shoebox Ford's front suspension up 1" by removing JAMCO's 3" dropped coils and installing some MOOG Aerostar coils to get a better ride out of my Shoebox.
    BACKGROUND: In 2006 I installed some JAMCO 3" drop coils, shocks, bump stops and their beefy sway bar. In 2007 I complemented that set-up with FATMAN FAB's 2.5" dropped uprights to get her even LOWER. Altogether this gave me 5.5" of drop up front. The result looked awesome and I was stoked. On the other hand, the ride was always a bit rough when I had more than just myself in the car, but I didn't give a shit, I usually ran solo.

FAST FORWARD to 2012, I'm living in California again, and now my Dad and the occasional buddy sometimes accompany me to shows and the like. Now, with two heavy dudes up front the ride was just too harsh (heavy being 220+ lbs each). Add in these totally F'd California roads, and I'm just not enjoying the ride anymore. When I hit a hammer hole or big construction dip the tires rub the air boxes in the top of the fenders and my bump stops are getting a beating nothing should have to endure.

The final straw took place during this last trip to Billetproof 2012. My Dad and I drove the Shoebox and every time I hit a decent bump or gnarly dip it felt like my front clip was going to break off. It was violent and basically... totally ridiculous. I was over it, and if I had to hear my Dad bitch one more time about the rough ride I was gonna Thelma and Louise our asses off the next cliff. Once we got back home I was sure my shocks had expired and my bump stops were definitely mounds of chewed bubble gum. I had to correct this...

Now, I'm currently building a 1949 Chevy pick-up and spending more money on the Shoebox was not in my budget. If I was going to address this ride issue it had to be on the cheap. So I ordered up some MOOG #CC850 progressive rate coils for a Ford Aerostar (this has been covered in depth here on the H.A.M.B and on SHOEBOXFORD, but not to RAISE a Shoebox) These Aerostar coils drop your Shoebox approximately 2" and I understand they also work with some other makes and models, but I don't know which ones for sure. I also ordered up some MONROE Sensa-Trac shocks #5821 and some ENERGY SUSPENSION universal bump stops #9.9103R. I purchased ALL these parts through AMAZON and adjusted my Shoebox for a SUPER CHEAP $102 bones. AND, all these parts are MADE IN AMERICA!

Here's a price breakdown:

MOOG Coils #CC850: $48.79 -pair
    MONROE Sensa-Trac shocks #5821: $19.80 -each
    ENERGY SUSPENSION bump stops #9.9103R: $5.97 -pair
    Shipping: FREE
    Tax: $7.54 (now there's a really great internet tax—yay!)
    Total, to my door: $101.91

Everything's MADE IN AMERICA!

So here are some pics showing the before and after, and the parts used.
    From the ground to the fender lip WITH THE 3" JAMCO COILS was 24".
    After installing the Aerostar coils it was up to 25".
    The front bumper went from 9" from the ground to the bottom of my license plate frame to 10.25".
    And the ride is, hands down, 100% better. I took it out today and I was blasting over hammer holes and dips going 70+ mph and there was no bottoming out, no rubbing, no nothing. The true test will be when I get my Dad in the passenger seat, but I have a feeling it will still ride excellent.

Here are some specs on my Ford for those comparing:
    Stock 15x5.5" steel wheels.
    670-15 Firestone's front and rear.
    The rear has JAMCO 3" drop leaf springs and custom made 3" blocks.

Here's the before measurements:
    24"
    [​IMG]
    9"
    [​IMG]
    Shock length:
    [​IMG]
    Shock modification:
    [​IMG]
    $102 bucks well spent:
    [​IMG]
    Coil info:
    [​IMG]
    Shock info:
    [​IMG]
    Bump stop info:
    [​IMG]
    Coil comparison:
    [​IMG]
    JAMCO vs. AEROSTAR comparison:
    [​IMG]
    Shock length comparison: JAMCO vs. MONROE#5821
    [​IMG]
    AFTER: 25"
    [​IMG]
    AFTER, Front: 10.25"
    [​IMG]
    FINAL STANCE: (before I put my`50 MERC caps back on)
    [​IMG]

This fix was CHEAP, MADE IN AMERICA and WELL worth it. My Shoebox doesn't look quite as cool, but sometimes you have to forfeit some "cool" to get a better ride.

If you liked this write-up I have more pictures and the uncensored story here:
    http://www.castironphilosopher.com/?p=104

Last edited: Apr 23, 2015
  2. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

Thanks for the great Pix! I moderate the 1952-59 Ford Social Group a lot of our members have used the Aerostars they work on all 1949-59 cars and station wagons,in almost every instance the ride and handling is a big plus :D as reported some members used the KYB shocks and gave them a thumbs up.

3. why the shock mods?

4. 62rebel

62rebel

goes to show (!!) that what looks fantastic isn't always fantastic on the road. slammed to the ground is fine for nice smooth roads and fairgrounds but real life dictates something with room to move. BTW i like the new stance better.

5. 55 dude-
    The shocks were modified because the 1949-51 Ford lower shock mount bolt pattern is wider than the #5821 shocks, since they are not specifically designed for this application.

6. EBW

EBW

Great write up with the pics !! I will be doing the same setup.
    Digging your ride !! Sexy !

7. ok!:D do you by chance have a pic of the position your lower control arm sits: level, up 10 degree's? thanks

8. DRUGASM

DRUGASM

I love the Aerostars in my Edsel. Made a huge difference over stock springs and greatly improved even mild cornering.

Looks good and presented very nicely.

9. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

Great write up! Looking into options for dropping my poobox (further) this winter. I'll save this to my "faves" folder.

Been there haha. This really cracked me up.

10. ordered my coils,shocks and bump stops today and should be here in a couple days! i will try and do a pictoral on the start to finish of the swap, should be interesting!

11. LostHope

LostHope

12. mammyjammer

mammyjammer
    from Area 51

The galvanized pipe measuring stick is cool as hell...great idea.

13. Thanks for the comments, guys. I hope this info is useful for people.
    I am going to get a better picture of my new stance this weekend. I'll post it up here on Sunday, hopefully.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2014
  14. manyolcars

manyolcars

good stuff! thanks

15. did you install your coils with the flattened end up or down?

16. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Dumb question - do you know what the original application is for the front shocks you used?

17. daddio211

daddio211

18. manyolcars

manyolcars

Monroe has a very nice PDF at their website

19. WHOAH DUDE!:eek: I actually do know what the o.e.m. shock application is 1984 pontiac fiero but what does that have to do with the spring orientation? look at the pic's the OP posted and it shows tapered end up but install paperwork that comes with springs from moog says just the opposite. he doesn't actually say which way he installed them and i sure don't want to install them 2 fucking times! if your the hamb expert on this please share it with me.:rolleyes:

20. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Thank you, but did I do something to piss you off? I was just wondering about shock applications...

21. choptvan

choptvan

WOW. Think you went way off in left field buddy. Not sure what you think he asked. He was asking so he knew how to ask for that same type of shock. MOST all parts stores are full of idiots and you cant tell them what you need it for. Rather what it came off of. OR else you usually get nothing. So go back, reread what you wrote, and start over. You are wrong here.

22. 55 DUDE-
    Real quick, in case you're installing them today... the flat portion of the coil is UP. They are progressive rate coils and they came with a little sheet that specified that the FLAT SEAT (tapered until flat) GOES UP. On a Shoebox you have a coil pocket on the bottom A-arm that the cut, un-tapered end of the coil plugs into—so if it had no instructions I would have done it that way anyway. Hope this helps!

I got pics coming!!!! I just gotta load them up.

23. Alright. I got some new pics of my Aerostar stance. Three are from the show at Budweiser today and three are when I got back home. I included the ones from home because the grass and shadows at the show were doing wonders for my ride height. The ones from home show the actual distance to ground better. Enjoy! (hopefully)

My Dad, paying his respects, through the window...
    aka-side profile:
    [​IMG]

and a little towards the front:
    [​IMG]

later in the day:
    [​IMG]

back at home:
    [​IMG]

the rear:
    [​IMG]

and, the front:
    [​IMG]

The ride was soooo much smoother with these Aerostar coils, I loved it! Huuuge improvement from the JAMCO 3" coils.

*Remember, I have 2.5" dropped uprights as well. This is not just Aerostar coils.

And as it sits, the A-arms are pretty much level (to answer your question, 55 DUDE).

I hope these pics are what you all were looking for.

24. It double posted for some reason.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2012
  25. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit

That is one really nice looking '51 Ford. Great stance too.

26. daddio211

daddio211

Awesome info, thanks again! And thanks for the new pics too!

27. gasolinescream

gasolinescream

Sits perfectly and looks great. Very cool car:cool:

28. Do you know if the shock # would be the same for newer Fords as well ? Specifically '54 Ranch Wagon ?

29. EBW

EBW

Wow.. I love your 51 !! Very Classy !!

30. RIC: I'd imagine if you have the same shock mount set-up they would work fine. Here is a pic of my lower A-arm and what the shock mount looks like. If yours looks like this, I imagine you're good. Since the coil length isn't an issue and the weight of your wagon can't be much more than a sedan, up front. Plus, the pair only cost $40- so there isn't a lot of money on the line. It's worth a try. I hope this helps.

[​IMG]