Register now to get rid of these ads!

Should I Grind My WhiteWalls???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Malarky, Sep 13, 2012.

?

Grind 'Em...or Leave 'Em Skinny?

Poll closed Sep 18, 2012.
  1. Grind 'Em!

50 vote(s)
    48.1%
  2. Nah...Leave 'Em Skinny

54 vote(s)
    51.9%
  1. Dog Dish Deluxe

Dog Dish Deluxe
    BANNED
    from MO.

I'm not a big fan of wide whites. I like skinnys or medium whites like the one you ground on. either way would look good,

2. Malarky

Malarky

[​IMG]

The front one isn't fucked up, it's the sun reflecting. I'm happy with the way they turned out. We'll see how they hold up. The rear tires are 215/75, and the fronts are 205/70. I like the raked look. Still gotta replace the spider caps.

Thank you to everybody who voted and who offered up their [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG].

Squablow, Thanks again for the tip about smoothing out the sidewall, it was a nice finishing touch.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2012
  3. Louie T

Louie T
    from California

So Malarky. We're those skinny whites that you ground down into what we see here? I have a set of skinny whites. The thin white is raised a little bit. How do I ground those down to look like yours. They look perfect.

4. Malarky

Malarky

Yes they were skinny, and thanks.

Watch the video in this thread. I pretty much followed that procedure except I stepped down in grit many times from a 60 grit grinding/finishing disc to medium then fine scotch-brite pads with a backer pad on a 4 1/2" angle grinder. Experiment on some junk tires first.

5. Louie T

Louie T
    from California

6. onlyonthurs62

onlyonthurs62

i have a 62' and you just inspired me to do that size of whitewall for my impala. Thanks!

7. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

8. Malarky

Malarky

No Problem, good luck.

Thanks.

9. They look good leave em

10. n847

n847

Awesome! Good Decision!

11. 1badnov

1badnov
    from South Bay

Looks great, but I don't think you can lose either way. I put the wide whites on my 65 over 6 years ago, and people thought it wouldn't look right. I tend to disagree.

[​IMG]

12. HellsHotRods

HellsHotRods

I won't tell you that my family has been with Goodyear and Firestone since 1920. When a tire company engineers a tire to be a wide whitewall, the whitewall is already molded in the casting as the size it will be, so that the integrity of the sidewall is not reduced to achieve a wider whitewall than was designed. Do some research before you start modifying tires that hold up the weight of your car as they were designed.

13. Malarky

Malarky

Thanks guys for the positive comments.

1badnov- That wagon looks just right. Great lines on that thing.

14. flathead okie

flathead okie

the best answer

15. Malarky

Malarky

That sounds about right, but FWIW.... I used to have a set of ground ww's on a lowrider that I had. Those tires saw all kinds of abuse from 3-wheel motion to hopping! I never had a problem with those tires. I ended up damaging one of my supremes and getting a rim leak before the tires went.

16. Squablow

Squablow

I like it. Any wider of a whitewall might have looked odd, but what you have there looks period perfect, and it doesn't look like an off-the-shelf new tire either. That's usually the kind of look you have to pay $150 a tire for.

17. ONE8SEVEN

ONE8SEVEN

callitw.com does vulcanizing

[​IMG]