Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ford V8 flat head mechanical to electric fuel pump question?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by no55mad, Sep 23, 2012.

1. no55mad

no55mad

Recently read here that something needs to be done to the original mechanical pushrod hole. Does something need to be plugged that affects oil pressure? Obvioulsy the pump mounting hole needs to be capped but it seems someone wrote that something in the block needs to be plugged when the mechanical pump rod is removed?? Thanks for any help - my search left me stranded.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2012
  2. The only problem that I have see if you have a 59A or earlier Flathead with the oil filler breather tube mounted at the rear of the manifold with no fuel pump push rod in oil will squirt up into the breather and leaks oil everywhere. The easiest way to block it is with an eary SBC rear oil gallery core plug, just knock it in fits reel good.

3. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

My 8BA engine had no problem with just removing the rod. I have read where you can cut the rod off so that it does not ride on the cam any more and reinstall it to cut down on the oil spray but I think that it is a 59A problem.

4. 51custom

51custom

Flathead Jack makes a plug for this, I use one in my 8BA...
    Jim

5. dudley32

dudley32

thats what I did on mine...and it stopped the oiling of my firewall...just make sure you use the early rod with the skirt...

6. One question why do you want to run an electric pump over a mechanical, I'm running 4 carbs on my flathead with a mechanical pump and keeps the fuel up just fine and you don't have that annoying sound of an electric pump running.

7. outlaw256

outlaw256

well i have a 8ba and i didnt know there was something else to do after i took of all the fuel pump goodies. i just made a block off plate and boletd it down. it dont spray oil nowhere and it still has oil pressure.am i lookin for troulble? i havent had or worked on a flathead in over 30 yrs.and i have this one for about 3 yrs thou it dont hardly leave the shop.

8. Dak Rat

Dak Rat
    from NoDak

I plugged mine (8ba) I just felt it would be a place to lose a little oil pressure. My 2 cents worth.

9. I used a bolt in place of where the push rod was, long enough to go beyond the oiling hole, but short enough to keep it off of the lobe. I used a fine threaded bolt, that I filed a cross hatch type pattern on it (at home knurl job). It fit snug (not that it would come out anyway-unless the engine was upside down).

10. Goodlife

Goodlife

I did away with the mechanical pump because of it vapor locking, no more concerns with the electric pump installed. I used the Flathead Jack plug also.

11. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

12. CME1

CME1

I used a Block off plate with a gasket., remove the fuel pump neck casting, works great. From, SPEED GEMS, 5G 152 FUEL PUMP BLOCK OFF PLATE. Ford and Mercury 1949-1953.

13. weathrmn

weathrmn

You need to make or but a plug for the fuel pump rod. There is a small oil port at the end of the oil galley that lubricates the pump rod. If not plugged, oil will take the path of least resistance, therefor affecting volume and pressure. I made mine from aluminum rod, long enough to cover the oil port. It has a tight fit and made the head 3/4"x 3/4" so I can grab it with vise grips

14. Jetson1234

Jetson1234

I'm not finding the block off plate under speed gems? Did it come with a gasket?

15. mark hogan

mark hogan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Odd mine has an oil fill tube there. Thinking that’s it no plug. Have not fired it up yet? You guys got me wondering now.

16. 19Fordy

19Fordy

This has been discussed on Fordbarn lots of times. I did not plug the hole on my 8BA and it made no difference in oil pressure. The stock 8BA fuel pump push rod has a loose fit in the bushing and does not affect oil pressure. Be sure to read all the posts and links in this thread: Helpful info. Whatever you do, DO NOT remove that bushing just in case you want to reinstall the mechanical pump.
    Fuel pump bushing question - The Ford Barn

Last edited: Mar 7, 2024