Register now to get rid of these ads!

Cutting coils

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gromit, Jun 21, 2012.

1. Smokeybear

Smokeybear

I don't go by 1 coil or 2 coils anymore. A more precise way to get what you need is to measure the car at it's current height and calculate how much you want to lower. I wanted my plymouth about 3 inches lower in the front. I measured my spring when it was out of the car and cut 1 and 1/2 inches of height from the coil. It ended up being about 1 complete coil and almost a quarter of the next. Came out perfect.

2. F.C.Fury

F.C.Fury

I've been thinking of cutting the coils on my daily driven dodge ram. I'm glad I found this thread, a lot of useful info.

3. TULSA

TULSA
    from Tulsa

It is my understanding that won't work for all cars. Depending on the springs some need to have the ends in the exact same spot for how they fit in coil buckets.

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

4. ROADSTERJEFF

ROADSTERJEFF

I think I will try two coils as I used three blocks in the rear. Is is a 1963 Ford Fairlane so I can buy three lower springs if I go to far.
    Thanks for all the input!

5. TULSA

TULSA
    from Tulsa

Cool. Post pics once your done!

6. I've cut many springs. Nothing mythical about it. The most important thing is the coil spring compressor. I usually cut 1 to 1 1/2 coils. A little goes a long way. I use a cut off wheel dosnt take very long. I have also used a saws all. The last time I cut some coils I discovered a compressor I didn't know about. It took a lot of worry out of the job. I was able to borrow it from a local front end shop Take your time and guard yourself. That spring can get you bad. ImageUploadedByTJJ1348664932.583393.jpg ImageUploadedByTJJ1348664959.970609.jpg

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

7. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

Be very methodical about measuring and cutting the springs the same amount. Somehow I got 1/4 of a coil off on one spring and couldn't for the life of me figure out why the car didn't sit level! Finally pulled both springs and figured it out. Could have saved myself a lot of work.

8. Window Licker

Window Licker

they should lay flat like a stock spring once their is weight on them, mine did

9. terryble

terryble
    from canada

I took a pair of Chevy coils to a local OT spring shop years ago and asked the owner, Al, if I could look for something shorter in his inventory, He took my springs and asked how much lower I wanted the car. He then took me and the springs into the back shop set the spring in a pail of water withabout two full coils out of the water. He proceeded to cut off one full coil and heated the remainder up and flatened it like stock. Did both springs for $5 and sent me on my way. I reinstalled the springs and the car was 2 inches lower just as I asked. Drove it for a few months and sold it, ran into the guy who bought it from me and he never had a problem with the springs or ride.

10. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

so, what year is the Fairlane and what size engine? cutting, heating are good ways to see how things will look. always easier to cut small sections at a time. when heating remember that you need to stop before you get to where it looks good, since will continue to settle at bit more before metal cools. consider replacing shocks too.I had a OT '66 Fiarlane GT with a 390/4spd in it. previous owner had heated the springs to lower it - looked good. but, on first long trip came across some big rolling dips in the freeway and things went wrong. the car sank down and then went up in front and down again and bottomed out twice on asphalt. hit hard enough to end up with asphalt pieces on top of battery!! lucky had no under carriage damage. lowered weaker springs with worn shocks caused problem. when I got back home had local spring shop make me up a new set of lowered springs with new shocks. rode and looked great after that.

11. ROADSTERJEFF

ROADSTERJEFF

1963 Fairlane with the stock 170 cid six cylinder engine. I plan on keeping the six and using it for a daily driver.

12. PinHead

PinHead

I've got a 62 fairlane, so I'd love to see yours after you drop it.

13. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

If you have the old springs out you might stop by an Autozone and compare them to the Ford Aerostar springs which has been used on 1949-59 cars to lower them 2 1/2"-3". Ford is real good at "things that fit" We have found several things like 1949-56 Fords can use 1967-69 Mustang radiators as a bolt-in,1949-59 Fords did not have self adjusting brakes and hardware kits are hard to find,solution: look up mid 60's and 70's Fords that use the same part number brake shoes and you can use the combo adjuster/hardware kits on the early Fords.You "might" get lucky with the Aerostar springs,Autozone part # FCS 850V $66 a pair.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2012
  14. I bought mine on Amazon much cheaper and with free shipping.

15. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

Which is good if you know they will fit,but if you mail order something hoping they might fit and it turns out they are wrong and you can't use them,are you really saving $$ ? That is why I advised physically comparing them and measuring the diameter and height. I was able to find some specs,without a load the Aerostars are 3" shorter than stock Fairlane springs they are 2/10th of an inch larger in diameter both springs have the same type of ends.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2012
  16. ROADSTERJEFF

ROADSTERJEFF

Interesting I will check out these springs! Thanks to all will post pictures soon.

17. LUX BLUE

LUX BLUE
    Alliance Vendor
    from AUSTIN,TX

I dovthis the same way when l have to. If it is good enough for Herb, it is good enough for me.