Register now to get rid of these ads!

" How Many Milk Crate Seat Storys Are Out There.."

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by J.Fishbeck, Jan 10, 2010.

1. That sounds like a great memory.. 2dr 55, 4spd & your wife! Good stuff!

2. The last one wasn't a milk crate but a lunchbox.
    It's a 1931 Chrysler Imperial Limo I did the assembly on.

Told the owner he was pretty cheap, a $250,000 car with a lunchbox seat.
    (the upholstery guy hadn't finished the seat bottom before I was ready to drive)

[​IMG]

3. kscarguy

kscarguy

I used a milk crate in the test drive of my first car, my 48 Ford coupe. When I hit the gas, the car jumped forward and I slid backwards off the milk crate and that made my foot push even harder on the gas pedal. My heart just about pounded out of my chest. Never Ever did that again!

4. Dakota Boy

Dakota Boy
    from Racine, WI

No milk crate story here, but I did still have enough holes in the firewall that I damn near had blisters on my feet after we got the car wired up and were running it around town for the first time.

Glad those days are behind me.

5. No milk crates here but i did use a 5 gallon paint bucket in my 51 at one point.

6. Beautiful limo. I wouldn't mind being driven around in it, the new ones don't do anything for me. Was there anything in the lunchbox?

Another Oh-shit moment, right there! Sheesh

My old Sedan Delivery didn't have carpet, for the longest time. I know what it's like to have hot heals!

I'm 6'2".. No way I'd fit, using a 5gal paint bucket. I can't imagine anybody fitting behind the wheel, using one! Damn

7. MikeRose

MikeRose
    from Yuma, AZ

Years ago I remember seeing a willys pick up that had a blown BBF (if I remember correctly), running around that had folded up beach towels for seats.

8. Machine washable hot rod upholstery. That's gotta be a new one! Probably worked great in the that AZ heat.

9. Wooly

Wooly

I've got two milk crate stories. The first was about 1967 I got my 1929 Model A chassis running and wanted to try it out. I took a 2x10 and bolted it to the frame
    and used a couple of muffler clamps to bolt the milk crate to the board. I then took a piece
    of 1/2 electrical conduit and bent it from front to rear and hung a gas can on it.
    We lived in San Francisco at the time in the Richmond district, not to far from the beach.
    I drove it to the beach and down the steps to the beach and ran it along the waters
    edge.
    Then back home and busted by my father. Was lots of fun.
    A few years later I worked in a garage that took car of Wilt Chamerlin's (the basket ball player's) car. He was so tall that they moved seat back very far and we had to put
    a milk crate in front of the seat to drive it around the block.

10. daddylama

daddylama

drove a dodge brothers RPU from los angeles to san diego, sitting on a bean bag chair.
    bought a folding beach chair at a yard sale for $3 in chula vista... drove around san diego all weekend then down to TJ to get a seat made.

that folding beach chair was seriously one of the most comfortable car seats ever.

11. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

I've got a milk crate seat story.

12. i threw my jumper cables and tow rope in a imatation milk crate and inserted in 1941 olds end of story:rolleyes:

13. Somewhere around 20 something years ago I built this custom out of a "54 Vauxhall 4-door sedan ( yeah' I was young and stoopid, and it was all I could afford at the time):rolleyes:

[​IMG]

So, anyway, I chopped it, extended the doors, raked the pillars, shaved the drip rails and dang near everything else, nosed it, decked it, extended the rear quarters, frenched the headlights, and hacked it around for a while with the original running gear.

It was all done as a bit of a joke really, but it was actually quite well received, so eventually I pulled it all apart and fabbed up a full scratch built frame from box section, chanelled it around 3 inches, and built a whole new floor and tunnel, and slotted in a triple carbed small-block, glide, and new front and rear ends.

It was all done in the back of my sign shop, which was conveniently located next to a supermarket carpark.

Cos' I'd made so many changes to the whole deal, I figured I should check out the handling before I did the final paint and stuff.

So, I took it for a test run in the carpark, with a wooden beer crate for a seat. Did one careful lap of the carpark checking out the steering, brakes and general feel of things, and then, as you do , thought I'd give it a stab to see how good it went.

Lit up real nice, then the beer crate tipped backwards - I hung on, but the steering wheel came off in my hands (no nut - hadn't really anticipated anything more than a quiet lap of the carpark).

It's amazing how fast time goes when you're dis-oriented, and how fuc%$&ing hard it is to push a brake pedal when you're lying down on a flat floor, but somehow I managed to stop without hitting anything.

I don't do that shit any more!:eek:

14. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not a milk crate but a camel saddle. Back in about 1964 a friend had a 57 Chevrolet Hardtop, and had a local redo the interior and it was his only car so he had to come up with a "field inexpedient" solution. His dad was career military and they had been stationed in Turkey (he said that a pair of jeans would buy anything over there) and evidently they had picked up a pair of camel saddles for home decor. They weren't comfortable but they worked.

15. The only missing is the dip in the door.. an it is amazing how fast things start happening when you're disoriented.

I bet that was a comfortable solution.

16. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

J. Fishbeck, You don't have a milk crate seat story?

17. You hate this thread.. others do a well! My dad did upholstery, amongst everything else. So this amuses me, since I would never do it.

18. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

Don't know how you came to the conclusion that I hate this thread...
    When I was building my '55 Chevy, my body guy said he would paint my dash, and door moldings as part of my bodywork and paint for free if I stripped the interior.
    So I did. On the way to take the car to him I used a milk crate seat. Well upon shifting gears the seat slid back and I grabbed the steering wheel and my foot went to the floor on the accelerator pedal. Scared the Sh*t oughta' me! Vowed Never again!

19. This place it's known for the sarcasm. I mistook your response.. Apologies.

20. sewman

sewman
    from Toledo,Oh

Back in the late 60's a friend & I used to go around door knocking buying cars.Well I spotted a Henry J,knocked on the door the guy comes out & says yup he'd sell it.
    So for $20.00 we got it BUT no steering wheel or seat SO I had a pair of vice grips for the steering wheel & took a metal milk crate from him for a seat & we hooked it up & he towed me home.We made it ok.
    Another time I had a VW bug we took the body off & I just had to drive it down the road so I slid the steering shaft back into the spline,got a crate & took off things were ok till I hit a bump & the cart slid I hung on to the wheel but with the wheel in my hand the shaft pulled out of the spline & ended up in a ditch,flying over on the sudden stop I landed in the grass.
    OK

21. Model T1

Model T1

How Many Milk Crate Seat Storys Are Out There.." Probably a million of them!
    I used a plastic milk crate on many cars many times. But only to drive in and out of the garage. I did most of my work in the driveway so I wouldn't get dust, paint, and other stuff on my other cars. Or burn something down! I may have driven down the block a few times checking out brake, steering and other minor things while sitting on my little red milk carton.
    I enjoyed the other milk carton stories.
    As for the lawn chair experience, I belonged to a car pool to and from work, about 15 miles each way. One guy had a 1950 Chevy 1/2 ton panel truck. Those things have a regular wood truck bed floor with metal ribs. Riding while sitting in a panel truck, never knowing where we were or what to expect, was fun! Folding cheap web lawn chairs do slide--- and fold!

22. big vic

big vic
    from cary il

milk crate lots of times the funniest story is in high school i had a friend with a v8 vega project we test drove with a milk crate for a seat and a string hooked to the carb for a throttle he worked the throttle i steered the car

23. Bad Eye Bill

Bad Eye Bill
    from NB Canada

About ten years ago I was out back of the shop where I keep the junkers and needed to stand on something to reach the back of the engine in an old truck, there was a milk crate right handy that had been out there for some time, stepped on it and my foot went right through it, had nothing with me to cut it and couldn't break it away, had to walk about 300 feet back to the shop with it chewing the hell out of my right leg, the leg looked like fresh ground hamburger when I finally got it free, still can see the scars.

All of my crates now have a piece of plywood on top and another on the bottom to keep them from sliding and kicking out from under me on cement floors.

24. Model T1

Model T1

Plastic milk crates do slide on cement, metal, and other smooth serfaces.
    I found mine many years ago deep in the woods of the Smokey Mountains. Borrowed about half dozen of them and used them in Illinois. Found out in this Florida sun they deteriorate quickly and get brittle. The good part is they were so rotten they basicallly disintigrated when I stood on them. Yea, more than one. I'm a slow learner!:D

25. This is funny stuff here.. Thanks guys!

26. Model T1

Model T1

It may be funny but I have a feeling it's mostly true! The milk carton seemed to take over where the five gallon bucket left off. Thinkin about it, it's almost traditional because I used my first milk cartons before 1965!

27. Stroker McGurk

Stroker McGurk
    from Canada

My dad had a 55 International panel truck when I was about 10....it had a single drivers seat and 2 buckets...I did lots of miles on that bucket

28. ronnieroadster

ronnieroadster

My first ride in my Deuce roadster was sitting on a milk crate I still had no gas pedal but that was no problem I just ran a cable threw one of the forty or so holes in that old firewall hooked it up to the center carbie on the three deuce Offy intake on my flathead I pulled the cable with my hand.
    That first ride was from a one car garage I rented where I was building the car in New Haven CT. My first ride was to show my wife Laura the Hot Rod was on the road. Riding along with me was my good friend Dennis.
    Still have the car still have the wife and still have that first flathead and Dennis helps us today when we are racing our Laester using his 40 Ford convertable as the tow car.
    Good Times For Sure

Last edited: Sep 22, 2012
  29. afaulk

afaulk

I don't think the guy was sitting on a milk crate, but just for giggles, google "luckiest drag racer ever" (also dumbest)

30. Lurker McGurk

Lurker McGurk
    BANNED
    from next door

Watch Out! Coming to your neighborhood.
    <iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/36529303" width="500" height="331" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowFullScreen></iframe> <p>The Milk Crate Recovery Team from Christopher Markowsky on Vimeo.</p>

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014