Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anti-bag 49-52 Chevy thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by matthew mcglothin, Nov 15, 2011.

1. JVK54

JVK54

I don't think that I can just cut out for the pumpkin because then I will have the torque tube slamming into the tunnel..no?..I dunno if the stance is really lower than I planned..I think it's perfect the way it sits now BUT it did drop at least 1/2 to 1 inch when I put the glass and interior in and started driving the car. I expected that..I also don't have any rear bump stops at the moment..so maybe adding them will help. It doesn't seem like the axle is hitting the frame.

2. JVK54

JVK54

BTW..JeffSled..Your location is awesome!

3. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

beautiful truck,the color is awesome

4. Ha :) Thanks. Your car looks real good and stance is right on in my opinion.

5. JVK54

JVK54

Thanks GovernorKC! I installed MonroeMA700s and a crappy little (free) compressor last night , gave the shocks about a 40psi bump and BAM!...problem solved. The car rides waaay better and the stance really didn't change at all..except psychologically. I swear though the rear end came up maybe 1/2 and inch or 1"TOPS I feel like it's totally different driving the car.
    Once again, thanks to you and The HAMB for the help!
    Here's what the stance looks like now. It was fine with me an a buddy in the car with my tools and spare in the trunk.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 12, 2012
  6. cosmic12

cosmic12

That looks perfect!
    I am now doing my chop on my 52 and am try'n to figure out how to get it on the ground. The floors in my car are perfect and I really don't want to cut them to do the tunnel or C the frame. I have 2" dropped uprights and blocks in the rear but it ain't anywhere near what I want. Yours is exactly where I want to be. Great thread guys please keep it going!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 12, 2012
  7. JVK54

JVK54

Hey Cosmic, your car looks a lot like mine did in the rear when I just had 3 inch blocks on stock springs. I added 3 inch dropped Posie sliders and that gave me the stance I wanted. You might be fine with those and the blocks you already have..OR you could de-arch your springs.

8. cosmic12

cosmic12

Ya, I am going to try to remove a couple leafs and change the front springs after I get the top done.

Attached Files:

9. flattrap

flattrap

This is my friends 50. Droped uprights, C notched rear, dearched leafs! Down for keeps!

Attached Files:

10. Keith English

Keith English

mine is heated coils from years ago before i owned it grandfather did it back in the 80's then jacked the rear up for a racked look, and the rear is a 3in block with the 60 year old settled springs..the rear bottoms out alot roads a shitty around here..but i like the air shock idea, i wonder how hard it would be to put a small tank and valves with them.

Attached Files:

11. Luke4554

Luke4554

[​IMG]

Mines a Pontiac but a '51 product none the less..

Cut about a coil and a half off the front and 3" blocks on the rear. Id like it a bit lower but the roads are a little iffy around here so im going to drive it a bit and see how she goes..

Luke

12. atomickustom

atomickustom

It's NOT just psychological - less than one inch can make a HUGE difference.

I have Posies' superslides on the rear of my '53 and 1-inch blocks. A few weeks ago I made and installed another 1-inch block (2 inches total) and did some clearance on my bump stops. Drove it and it was bottoming almost all the time. So I made 1/2 inch blocks and swapped those in and now it rides fine. Yes, one half-inch difference in blocks made the difference between riding nice and hitting the stops on every dip.

I have had air shocks on plenty of muscle-type cars and always like the ride but never thought of putting them on my '53. Too bad I read your post after I got my car all back together.

I had planned to do a really small notch but looking at my car closely I'd have needed new tailpipes AND the frame notch AND some trunk floor work and with a finished car I wasn't willing to do all that to pick up another 1/2 to 1 inch drop.
    Your car looks lower in the rear than mine, but I only have maybe 2 inches of travel before I hit the frame.

13. I dig the fact that this is a anti bag thread but a compressor,airlines,etc etc. Isn't that just a few steps away from bagging the car.I mean if you want to be able to go up and down then why not just airbag it ? Are the airshocks installed so you wont have to do notching and tunneling ?

Not trying to be a smartass here but just wondering why not go all the way if you are already installing a compressor and other air components.

14. GovernorKC

GovernorKC

well the air shocks I have were like $80. doing a full air ride suspension is gonna cost a hell of a lot more than that. notching just lets you go lower, doesnt matter if you do bags or not.

15. adrian13

adrian13

hi guys, can someone recommend me what to do in my case? i have a 53 oldsmobile and i got new 2inch de-arch leafsprings and new stock shocks with a 2 inch blocks.but the ride is not nice it bottoms out ,do i need shorter shocks?cut the bump stops? what aim doing wrong ?help!:confused: oh and definally dont wanna get airbags...

16. Terrible Tom

Terrible Tom

Did your shocks hook up in the stock position after lowering the rear? I put in 3" blocks in my 52 Olds and ended up changing the position of my shock mounts a little. I made them more vertical. I also removed the rear snubbers as they wouldn't work right with the blocks and u-bolts that I was using. Just a thought. Mine seems to ride good.
    Tom

17. GovernorKC

GovernorKC

How bad are you bottoming out? if its only on bigger bumps and pot holes I would suggest cutting your bump stops to start. As I posted earlier I went with air shocks to alleviate this problem. Makes the ride a hell of a lot nicer. Probably the best $60 I have spent on the car.

18. adrian13

adrian13

i have a 53 olds with 2inch dearch leafs and 2inch blocks and original shocks, i dont like how it rides , is too stiff! any idea do i need airshocks? sorry i know this a chevy side but i need help here

19. adrian13

adrian13

yeah the shocks hook on the same stock position,and only bottoms out over pot holes or big pumps.theres about 3 inch of clearance between the frame and the bump stop,so i dont know if it would do any good cutting them GOVERNORKC?. what air shock would u recommend? also i wanted to say that i had 3inch blocks and it was even worse...so i switch it with a 2inch.

20. JVK54

JVK54

Adrian, Air shocks will probably solve that issue. Look at your stock shocks , measure compressed and extended lengths as well as how they attach (post? eyelet?) and any clearance-width issues and call Monroe tech support and ask them what the equivalent air shock is. Order and Install those and you should be all set.
    BTW JeffSled- I see your point
    t.Air shocks and lines may indeed be a few steps from full air ride..BUT they are also only a few steps and many dollars closer to true static drop. I wish I lived in a place where the righteous and lowered could always park how they drive but The Peoples Republic of Massachusetts has some of the crappiest (and most costly to the actual taxpayers) roads in the country.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2012
  21. GovernorKC

GovernorKC

Yeah in that case makes no sense cutting the bump stop. post from earlier in thread.

22. Well thanks for acknowledging my question.......Like I said I wasn't trying to be sarcastic,I was just curious.To be honest my car could use airshocks in a real bad way.I went sleddin 2 nights ago and had to get out of the car and plan my exit on this shitty uneven driveway.Believe me....the roads around here are terrible and anything but nice and smooth.Im just stubborn as hell and it probably isn't to my best interest when it comes to stuff like that.Well at least you aren't using airshocks to lay on the ground like a minitruck. :)

23. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

I use airshocks they help alot when carrying people in the back or a ton of shit for a roadtrip. No compressor though, just an old airtank for when I need it, Seems the roads are fucked everywhere so every little bit helps.

24. JVK54

JVK54

Jeff..I didn't think you were being sarcastic at all..and I think we really are pretty like-minded about this stuff. For the record, if I ever do decide to run bags I would not set it up for the car to totally lay frame for the simple reason that I DRIVE the hell out of my car. Blasting down the highway "at speed" (haha)and having a line blow with absolutely zero clearance could really ruin a guys day.

25. adrian13

adrian13

jvk54, thanks for your subjestion, i really apreciate. ill do that !

26. cosmic12

cosmic12

Great thread! I don't want to add Bagg's to my 52 and I am really trying not to use a MII front end, I want all done like it would have been in the 60s, its tough being a old bastard that can't learn new tricks. I really need it to be 3"s lower, gona be a long winter;)

Attached Files:

27. Terrible Tom

Terrible Tom

Two coils out of the front springs gave me about 3" and I put 3" blocks in the back. The rear springs have flattened themselves out over the years, so it was plenty.
    Tom

28. Sir X Loin

Sir X Loin

My 51 is too low. It bottoms out all the time. I have the stock suspension. 4" blocks in the rear, 2" dropped up right with 1.5 coils cut. The front end stits too low and makes the car look funny, and drive like shit. I just got some used stock coils and am wondering how they will look at stock height. Anyone have a pic of a similar set up? The car has to sit level, I have the dive look.

Also how are people running their exhaust? Mine is routed under the trans crossmember and it is really banged up.

29. 'Mo

'Mo

I am running 3" blocks, and Buffalo uprights with stock (old) coils.

[​IMG]

Here are the pipes. Not a lot of miles yet, but I think they'll be fine.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 9, 2013
  30. Sir X Loin

Sir X Loin

That looks pretty good buddy. I think mine will sit similar, but a bit lower in the rear with my current 4" blocks.

My exhaust is routed similarlly. but due to my car being so low it looks like crunched up tin foil.