Register now to get rid of these ads!

Chrome chain steering wheel. Yes? No?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Donzie, Sep 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Donzie

Donzie

Mine has the swing away column, it's a nice feature. The interior is black and all original except for some holes cut in the dash (what the hell were they thinking?) and will probably remain that way.

2. Magnum Wheel Man

Magnum Wheel Man

so what were your thoughts about the "chrome chain" ??? ( it's your car, do what you feel is right ) was just curious if you are trying to brighten the interiour, because it's all black ??? the original wheel is missing, or badly damaged ??? you've secretly always wanted a chain wheel ???

... you could always buy one of the leather wrap kits, & add it to the original wheel, if you don't like the pencil thin style... ( I'm adding a leather wrap to an old pencil thin banjo wheel, that has several cracks ) I may decide to wrap some friction tape around the wheel, to build up the diameter before I sew on the leather wrap, for a better fit & feel

3. jchav62

jchav62

If you were going with a "lowrider" look it might work... other than that, probably not. Send that wheel over here to NM... we love them here... :cool:

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

4. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

Se ha rechazado la moción.

5. Chrome chain steering wheel if you are building a '70s low rider. Get the small one so you can drive it with hand cuffs on. :rolleyes:

An early '60s show rod or mild custom would have run a stock style steering wheel. Like an olds or even the thunder hawk wheel wheel with a tweak ot two.

If you are building a street brawler out of it , like a stop ligh bandit/cruiser it may have had a cal custom wheel, maybe a flake wheel or a solid.

6. 117harv

117harv

I seems that many of the posters here dont read the whole thread before posting, this is from the first page.

I think with a car that new the stock one should stay, or atleast run a cool wheel from another make close to the same year.

7. Nope didn't read the entire thread I just posted truth, if that is a problem for you, then I guess you got a real problem.

But seeing as how you want to see something that no one probably posted, only big foot hunters used chain wheels in the early '60s, so if you are building a a car to go out and screw with sasquatch then the chain wheel is the perfect solution. :rolleyes:

8. Traditional Rod & Custom ? Chain steering wheel ?

9. squirrel

squirrel

Chrome chain steering wheels were pretty popular where I went to high school on the west side of Tucson in the late 70s.

As long as you build the rest of the car to match, I don't have a problem with it. Crappy big flake paint in some obnoxious color, velvet upholstery, fringe around the windows, 10" wide cragar SS wheels with 5.60 skinny whitewall tires somehow forced onto them, take out the springs, maybe add some hydraulics at one end of the car.

But it works better on a 64 chevy

10. das chebby mang. Dios mio.

11. 117harv

117harv

I just didn't see the need to keep dog piling on the OP, he had a moment of weakness, and decided against it.

P&b you're one of my favorites dont be mad at me, you and a few others did help with suggestions for an alternative. I still can't find a pic of the stock wheel, what's it look like?

12. squirrel

squirrel

I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the idea, just beware what other changes it demands.

13. Awwwwww......

It's nice to see grown men kiss and make up! :eek: :D

14. 117harv

117harv

Do you want a custom just to be custom? I dont think the stock one looks all that bad.

Attached Files:

15. Chrome chain steering wheel?..only if you let it rust up, rust is really "in" right now.
    Seriously, another vote for no.

16. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Well, no one has posted the obligatory "It's your car, do what you want with it" so I will...

Where you been hiding Donzie...??? Still own the bar...???

R-

17. studedudeus

studedudeus

I'd never have one myself, on any vehicle I drove. But I believe the chain steering wheel is exactly what you need.

18. Not mad at all, I have had the Sasquatch thing floating around in my head all morning, the steering wheel just worked out and you just happened to be there. ;)

It should be a 3 spoke thing with a bezel running down each spoke, Probably have little ribs running the length of the bezel which will be concave. Usually the horn button itself will be the hardest part to look at but they lend themselves well to an insert of some sort.

Even with the black interior a pearl insert or inserts in the wheel will look good and maybe even a pearl wheel. Lots of murano pearl, I think you can still get it. White inserts in the wheel and morano pearl over the black steering wheel, or paint it pearl white as well.

Damn its a good thing that I am not a custom sort, I would have built some gawd awful chit.

My friend Jose had a chebby ('59 Impala) that he and his dad built in the early '60s. Pretty slick car, it had a hopped up 327 but it was all custom. It was billed as "The World's Lowest Chebby" on the indoor car show circuite for a while. He ran a stock Impala wheel that had been pearl painted and had the horn ring reworked a bit. Midnight blue and white and blue interior. It sat so low that it had the little wheels on the back bumper to get in and out of driveways. Full on early '60s custom and it was running a stock wheel, and winning shows still in the early '70s.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2012
  19. Gman0046

Gman0046

Along with the chain steering wheel make sure you have the following:

Lighted swan hood ornament
    Curb feelers
    Red jeweled mud flaps
    Fake Buick port holes on the front fenders
    Non functional lake pipes
    Several radio antennas
    Several static grounding straps
    Dingleberries around the windows
    Continental wheel kit with Little Eva painted on it
    All kinds of angel hair
    Several fox tails
    Underneath neon lighting

20. Carefull!

There may actually be someone on here that has this stuff on their car. :eek:

21. sololobo

sololobo

If your orig is rough, redo it with some of the great repair putties available and repaint it. That classy rig would be ruined with that ghetto chain wheel. ~sololobo~

22. Rob68

Rob68

23. Shit man we were finally beyond the 1 or 2 word posts and made it all the way up to full sentences. Then you came along and set the whole thing back! :rolleyes:

24. Bert Kollar

Bert Kollar

Next to ugly in the dictionary is a picture of a chrome chain steering wheel

25. rustednutz

rustednutz
    from tulsa, ok

Ask a friend of mine how he liked his chrome chain steering wheel on his no top fiberglass dune buggy in the summer in Oklahoma. He actually blistered his fingers on day.

26. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

No comment.

Attached Files:

27. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Those guys only come out when theres some disagreement. They are too scared when its unanimous...

28. I couldn't run one not even in a gehtto crusier. I drove one once from an auction and got my finger stuck on one of the holes, uh twice. :eek:

I am actually thinking about putting the little dingle balls around the glass on the wifes '38, I know its not appropriate in most circles, but we bith grew up around that culture and some things are just hard to shake.
    Can't do the chain wheel, for obvious reasons. :eek:

29. Magnum Wheel Man

Magnum Wheel Man

:eek:

Ok... I'm all for whatever keeps momma happy... um... ( swallows hard )... even if it is "dingle balls" :eek:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.