Register now to get rid of these ads!

engine color

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by billcove, Sep 17, 2012.

1. Sounds cool and are the headers white to keep the engine bay cooler? JW

2. GTOMUSTANG

GTOMUSTANG
    from ct

From what I remember, the carryover engines in 1957 Chevies were chartruse, which is a yellowish color.

black (the absense of color) does radiate heat, but like the English drinking hot tea in summer, what makes ya sweat results in the cooling effect of sweating, thus making you think you're cooler in a temperate sense.

if you want an engine to look nice, like for a custom or show car, then paint it something that either goes well with chrome (a bright color) or something that contrasts the body color (orange to black, etc). What are you painting the firewall, white with black checkerboard, or..?

if you want it to look like a jalopy, paint it stock color. Racing? black is great, but white shows off leaks.

3. jchav62

jchav62

Orange, black, or body color.

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

4. billcove

billcove
    from mass

firewall is body color. i am leaning to black or body color

5. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

On that note then, white with a pink water pump pulley and red freeze plugs up front :eek:

6. billcove

billcove
    from mass

I don't think that the red freeze plugs will go with the burgandy firewall lol bill

7. JimInrADFORDva

JimInrADFORDva

How about using some of that Eastwood cast iron exhaust manifold paint? Gives the block a neutral grayish "metal" color that will go with just about anything--even red freeze plugs!

8. koolkemp

koolkemp

I heard they were carryovers as well, only 265's though.... I saw one once on a rough unrestored 57 210 HT ...was a pretty rare car.

9. billcove

billcove
    from mass

not a bad idea

10. billcove

billcove
    from mass

cast iron paint

11. WillyKJr

WillyKJr
    from Blackstone

Screw with people and shoot it Ford Blue.

12. Model T1

Model T1

Dammed at this rate by the time ya get it painted it's gonna need an overhaul ! Paint it body color or Chevy orange and shut the hood.
    :D
    Black is for rebuilders just to cover the bare block until someone figures out what color they want it.
    :mad:
    I heard they were carryovers as well, only 265's though.... I saw one once on a rough unrestored 57 210 HT ...
    I wrote that long ago. That was so owners and GM mechanics knew they were not getting the new 283. :)

Unlike Oldsmobile owners who later ended up with Chevy engines and got screwed. :rolleyes:

13. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Unlike Oldsmobile owners who later ended up with Chevy engines and got screwed. :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

If a Chevy engine is installed in an Oldsmobile by the manufacturer when new........doesn't that make it, by defintion, an Oldsmobile engine? :D

Last weekend, at a local Rod Run, there was a Model A coupe with an sbc and the "Cadillac" script had been beautifully transplanted into/onto the valve covers. I thought about that for a bit and then remembered my son has a '92 Cadillac Sedan DeVille with an original equipment LT1 "Cadillac" engine, so I guess this fellow with the Model A is correct.

Ray

14. IRISH13

IRISH13
    from SoCal

I like cast iron color. Heres a cast iron gray sbc I did for an OT ride.

Attached Files:

15. Dog Dish Deluxe

Dog Dish Deluxe
    BANNED
    from MO.

Wish HAMB had a "like" button!

16. Screw it!

Go camouflage........

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]