Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Drag cars in motion.......picture thread.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Royalshifter, Dec 12, 2007.

1. WCD

WCD

This car ran an Ivo chassis I think. Note credit to "Schiefer Cams". I didnt know they made cams too. Driver Red Lang dons classic hockey goalee style fire mask-looks cool.

2. Wrongway1320

Wrongway1320

Bob McGinly C/A (CC TAP) vs Dick "Wrongway"Murray B/D at Minnesota Dragways 1965

Attached Files:

3. 296ardun

296ardun

It was an Ivo chassis, Shieffer did make roller cams, also made competition rear ends, but the rear ends broke under pressure (Jerry Ruth ran one briefly, but gave up on it), Shieffer did make great clutches, but ended the cam and rear end lines...Dead End Kids put on a show, from Brooklyn, used an old black 4-door Chrysler for a push car, didn't win much but were always there...

4. partsrivet

partsrivet

Dupuy Brothers from New Orleans ran this nice D/MP for points at La Place La on May 7, 1967. Saw on the news where La Place was underwater from hurricane Issac. [​IMG]

5. partsrivet

partsrivet

Looks like Bennie Osborn is trailing someone as a couple of dragsters leave the line at the World Finals in October 1967. Bennie went on to win the title. [​IMG]

6. partsrivet

partsrivet

Charlie Smith from Oklahoma City set a new national record for AA/FA top speed at 158.45 on this pass at Tulsa on a windy April 16, 1967. This is the same car seen racing at Opelousas after a towing accident in June of the same year. [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 3, 2012
  7. partsrivet

partsrivet

Phil Butler driving the Heim Butler & Hartong AA/FD from Little Rock AR, pulls a giant wheelie as Louis Boyd piloting the Boyd & Griffith car from OK City [​IMG]keeps them on the ground for a win at the points race at Tulsa on April 16, 1967.

8. partsrivet

partsrivet

World finals staging lanes in October 67. My apologies for any reposts. Starting to lose track of what I've done. [​IMG]

9. partsrivet

partsrivet

The Willys pickup named the "Little Brown Truck" gets underway at Opelousas La on June 25th 1967. I've tried to find out who this was but have had no luck. Anyone recognize him?[​IMG]

10. partsrivet

partsrivet

Manning and Gipsons BM/SP take on a Fairlane at Tulsa in 1966. I don't think the Ford was a T-Bolt despite the hood. Anyone remember this car? [​IMG]

11. proscriptus

proscriptus
    from Ver-mont

Boot me out if this new shot doesn't fit in, but here's Magnante getting skyward in the Wilshire Shaker at Musclepalooza XVI on Sunday.

[​IMG]

Bigger here.

12. theman440

theman440
    from Las Vegas

Notice the Max-Wedge style scoop ?

13. PVTA Jay

PVTA Jay

Bill Golden, aka Maverick, prior to the Little Red Wagon

14. rfraze

rfraze

I believe the red Vette in the Green Valley four wide is Dave Stevens' (Irving boy, at the time) and as I remember the times didn't matter! It was drag racing, meaning that the first one to the finish line WON, and probably came back to do it again. It's a pretty simple concept really. Most tracks should try it, even if two at a time. It might catch on and before you knew it, people would fall in love with the sport, and maybe even take pictures for future reference.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 27, 2013
  15. rfraze

rfraze

When I saw the pic of the kids with the little (smaller than Mazooma's) dragster, I could just hear the "wheels" turning in the brain of someone at NHRA who has been trying to come up with an answer for how to get younger people into the sport AND in to the staging lanes. That's it, we'll have dragsters for juniors.

I'm just a bit loopy, because I just finished every word, picture, link, joke, bitch, put down, and beautiful philosophical description of drag racing and how WE have fit into it AND it in to our lives. If you haven't, READ IT ALL, look at all the beautiful pictures, and you will learn so much. Thank you to all who built the cars for us to watch, race, and enjoy. Thanks to those who put on the events throughout the years, to those who have posted and will, and to RoyalShifter and the Texiera Willys for getting this thread rolling. I'm betting Ryan and the boys are enjoying it as much as we are.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 27, 2013
  16. Tom S. in Tn.

Tom S. in Tn.

That's the way we raced, except only 2 cars paired against each other at a time. Never 4. I've never heard of that.
    I first saw clocks in the very late 60's and some of tracks still did not have them much later. There were flag starts if the track had no electricity or lights, and there was a finish line judge if there were question. I have seen races made best 2 out of 3 if much debate arose after a race. Tom S.

17. Jet cars at OCIR...

Attached Files:

18. cougarmike

cougarmike

Ron Ritter with the Cheetah[​IMG]

19. Old Man Taylor

Old Man Taylor

I raced a four-wide at Lions sometime in the second half of the 60's. It was an AHRA track and had LOTS of classes. They did the four-wide to go through the individual class winners quicker for the overall eliminator of the major class. We started with the tree, and finished as normal. It's just that you couldn't trust your ET because you couldn't tell for sure which car of the two in the same lane triggered the clocks. The winner was still determined by the lights at the big end. After the race I was told that it was a good thing that I launched before the car next to me as he spun and the rear of the car drifted over into my lane. This was for Top Stock Eliminator.

20. DaveyJonez

DaveyJonez
    from Houston

Found this bitchin' pic of my dad's A/ Fuel Altered on the Fremont Raceway Facebook. God I wish he had kept this car...

dad fremont.jpg

21. jetboatmama

jetboatmama

[​IMG]
    The 1964 Atlanta $10,000
    The picture is small but the info is large Click on the picture

Last edited: Sep 19, 2012
  22. ^^^ Now that's a cool shot I haven't seen before! ^^^

23. That the Lindsley & Olsen 55. Jay Lindsley sold it in late 67 to build the Anglia that I now own.

24. ^^^ Wow ... that's the kind of car that spun my head back when I was a young'n!

25. superprojoe

superprojoe
    from Illinois

GREAT LAKES DRAGWAY in Uion Grove,wis!!!!!:D

26. Wrongway1320

Wrongway1320

Here are a few shots of Paul Southerland & crew at Pomona 1964 Paul replaceing a blower gasket,Paul,Ed,& Mrs Peters unloading,Ed Running the valves on the Mighty 354" Chrysler (Paul used a 331 for the nite races & the 354 for daylite racing)

Attached Files:

27. 296ardun

296ardun

Seen this shot before, but thanks for posting it again, first time I realized that either Lindsey or Olsen were regulars at the Sportsman Bar, right next to Blair's (bulldozed now, just a parking lot)...both were great guys, ... anyone else hang out there in the early to mid-60s?

28. Wrongway1320

Wrongway1320

More great old memories from boxes of snapshots Don & Pat Garlits Pack the chute at Minnesota Dragways in 1965 on Don's First 426 powered Rail it was not until 1969 that the Drag Race brain trust found out how to make the 426 engine outrun the 392. The 426 needs lots more ignition timing like 60 degrees vs about 27 degrees for the popular 392 combo.

Attached Files:

29. Wrongway1320

Wrongway1320

A couple more old snapshots. Dean Moon's A/D one week after winning A/D class at the Indy Nats stopped at Minnesota Dragways to put on a show.

Attached Files: