Register now to get rid of these ads!

engine color

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by billcove, Sep 17, 2012.

1. Model T1

Model T1

What the F^#@ is FAUX ? Just say FAKE. This politically correct copykat crap has gone too far ! Besides that fake Olds engine is still gonna look like a SBC to 99% of us. Paint it maroon or orange. Hell by now the paint shoulda been dry and you should be driving it. ;):rolleyes:

2. diamond jeff

diamond jeff
    from montana

Technostalgia Inc. markets the olds covers as fauxsmobile "rocket" valve covers, not fakesmobile! Jeeezzz Model T why so grumpy? Sorry IMHO there is nothing custom about OEM chevy orange.

05snopro440 likes this.
  3. Sparkswillfly

Sparkswillfly
    from Colorado

Yep, I agree.

4. billcove

billcove
    from mass

Hi. I have been driving it. it has a 351 windsor in it. that i took out of the super trooper movie car. I have had the 383 for a few years. I should have put in the merc when i built it. but i was talked into putting a ford in it. now it's time to do it rite lol. thanks for all the opinions keep them coming bill

05snopro440 likes this.
  5. Model T1

Model T1

I'm old. I can be grumpy if I want to! Now please tell me, just what is a fauxmobile valve cover?
    I had a 1949 Oldsmobile Rocket 88 with real jenewine original real valve covers. Not fake ones. :confused:

Amost forgot, but there is something traditional about OEM Chevy orange.

6. Chevy yellow (55-56)

7. diamond jeff

diamond jeff
    from montana

8. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I really don't understand all you folks who get your panties in a wad because somebody might use Olds (or look-a-like) valve covers on an SBC.

Has it never occurred to any of you "purists" that NOTHING about hot rodding is purist?? WTF ........engine, transmissions, rear ends brakes etc. etc are freely swapped from one make or another to suit the INDIVIDUAL tastes of the builder and/or to fit into the general guidelines of a hot rod. But rodders use Buick aluminum finned drums on non-Buick brakes for just one example. why because they like the looks of them....and they are functional, but so are valve covers, regardless of their source.

edit: besides, using FAKE Old's valve covers, aside from being a styling issue, is also a "nod" to the history of the Olds engine in rods...even though the sbc may offer more efficiency in today's world

BTW, I do not have Olds valve covers on an sbc...I don't have an SBC to begin with.......I already have a belly button and a rear "exit'.

Ray

Last edited: Feb 23, 2023
    05snopro440 likes this.
  9. Model T1

Model T1

That's a beautiful Merc. You should take both the 351 and the 383 and sell them to a friend who has a boat. Then put in a nice Flathead Merc. Paint it grey.
    Make sure your boat buddy needs two anchors. :D

10. Model T1

Model T1

Rick, the salt air must be getting to you. 55-56 Chevys did not have yeller engines. They were the very first V-8's with that popular Chevy orange we know and love.
    However the early 57 Chevys with the 265 were yellow! (Sort of...More chartruse) That's so GM mechanics could tell the difference in them and the new 283's.

11. Model T1

Model T1

Hnstray, I'm so old I used to shop at Ernie's old wood framed one car garage buying Model T and Model A parts. Remember Ernie?---Hemmings in Quincy, Ill?
    I really don't understand all you folks who get your panties in a wad because somebody might use Olds (or look-a-like) valve covers on an SBC.
    Picture this, I do not wear panties and never get things wadded up. I'm just havin fun and killing what time I have left.
    I was only kidding about the FAUX valve covers. But why not put fake Flathead covers over the Chevy valve covers ?

Last edited: Sep 19, 2012
  12. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Model T 1.......yes, in fact I do remember Ernie Hemmings......it was my good fortune that he was still alive and well in Quincy when I moved here in 1976, although he had by then long since sold Hemming Motors News. In fact I bought some model A parts from Ernie back then.

Apparently, you lived here or nearby at one time! Did (do) you know Elvin Townsend and his {late} wife Rosie, who also have quite a history with Model T's?

Ray

13. squirrel

squirrel

I thought the 56 engine was red, not orange? but that's for the purists to figure out

14. Model T1

Model T1

I knew you'd be here eventually squirrel. But you didn't help matters. I'm still confused about the few rare yeller 265 engines. I had lots of red 265, 283, 327, 305, 307, and 350 Chevy engines though! But not factory. I lke RED !
    Finally went back to orange. But I didn't remove the old paint or ask anyone else permission what color to paint them.
    I honestly don't remember any factory original red 56 Chevy engines but sadly never owned a 56 Chevy, my favorite body style. :rolleyes:

15. "I already have a belly button and a rear "exit'." FTW!

16. Real 383's are turquoise :)

17. Model T1

Model T1

Ernie Hemmings was a very friendly old Ford guy. It shocked me the first time we went to buy Model T parts and his shop/warehouse was a simple run down wood one car garage next to his house.

18. Model T1

Model T1

Virgil, like me, I believe your rear exit sometimes needs to work harder evacuating excess waste matter and you need to clean the old lint from your belly button.:D
    Of course, we all have a belly button, yet we are all unique in how we look, act, and respond. Just because your belly button and mine may look alike does not mean we are the same. Painting our engines is a personal choice yet traditionally a SBC will be orange or body color.
    Someday I'll tell ya about the pink 302 engine in my 1949 Ford. I ain't liein!:(

19. Your talking to someone that owned a Samoan Coral 64 Marauder.( 390 black and gold) I've heard all the Mary Kay jokes! It's all good. Just a bit of friendly joshing my man!I'm debating what to do with an off topic Ford car motor myself. Late model's are gray (meh!) and I've been thinking of doing mine blue but then I think maybe black to show off the aluminum parts??? Not at that point yet. There's not much of the motor visible so it may be a moot point really. Car is red so that has crossed my mind too.I've always liked the Oldsmobile gold and the Buick's teal from way back despite being a Ford guy.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2012
  20. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

The only yellow Chev engines I can recall are those that were installed in Studebakers after production moved to Canada in '64/'65 or thereabouts.....

Ray

21. outlaw256

outlaw256

ok then why is it when you wear a black t shirt you get hotter than one wearing a white t.?dark draws heat it doesnt dissapate it.black car, hot sun = hotter car. white car, hot sun= car not as hot as black car.lol

22. diamond jeff

diamond jeff
    from montana

Uh?? wrong... black radiates the heat back to the source, ie. pavement,the frying pan. And most of us wear black shirts and caps to rod meets and shows to stay cooler, that way we don't look like sweaty bastages in a wet t-shirt contest.:eek:

23. You are right and wrong. Black absorbs all the light energy but dissipates it as heat therefore a black t shirt won't keep you cooler because it will put off more heat than a white one thus making you hotter. A white t shirt, car etc absorbs much less energy from sunlight because it reflects more of it than it absorbs so it doesn't have to put off the heat to keep everything in equalibrium.

24. No way in hell are you going to be cooler in anything black on a sunny day.
    Silly ! !

And black white red blue purple orange pink engine is not going to make any difference cooling an engine. Unless the fan is scared of one of those colors.

Black engines don't leak as bad.

25. billcove

billcove
    from mass

If i paint it black can i use cheaper gaskets ????

26. No - never use a cheap gasket

27. L7

L7

[​IMG]
    a little something for everyone. lol - googled engine color and found this lego colored engine.

28. diamond jeff

diamond jeff
    from montana

29. Hi Outlaw, it depends on what side of the black surface is the hotter.Think about it the other way round and you have answered your own question. JW

05snopro440 likes this.
  30. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Black doesn't kool any different, that's why air cooled bike/powersport engines have been black since the mid 70s. In my own observations, had a .030 over 454 that was shiney red, lots of chrome, 8.5:1 compression. Bought it that way so put that eyebrow back down please:cool: That fuckin thing had the hardest time with cooling. The PO did tons of shit, chasing his tail really, none of it really helped. The best it did was back to the basic GM design with a thermostat and belt driven fan, used a 160 stat, and it would maintain 180-190 on a hot day, but still didn't like traffic and would top 200. Fast forward to it's new incarnation, same block, different heads, well fuck it, 14:1 race motor punched .100, no fill. Everything was satin black, even the intake. I had a hard time getting it to heat up to 170-180. Same radiator, water pump, thermostat, fan. Drove the shit outta that one until I windowed the cylinder wall with too much happy gas.

My research into the topic of heat is that heat energy naturally gravitates to a darker surface, light energy, a darker more shiney surface (black car in the summer?). With everything being semi flat black, heat was absorbed and "blown off" the surface of the block. Like an air cooled black motorcycle engine? Fuck it, it worked for me.

Then again, this topic is about a bitchin color for a custom Merc. I'd still paint it yellow and slather it in chrome!! Bright screamin yellow, white exhaust, finned covers yellowed in the centers...oops, sorry. I was buildin it already.