Register now to get rid of these ads!

$17,100 upholstery job

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by c_illes, Sep 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

1. I like vinyl better myself and like you have no good reason. ;)

I think that lik anything else the prices in a given region reflect the econimic situation of the area. Cost also reflects who is doing the job. For example let us suppose that you want to get Mr X who is an internationaly known upholsterer. The very day you drive or drag your heap into his shop for an estimate he is just finishing up a '49 merc that is getting shipped back to Japan in a couple of days. He can and will most likey want more to do the job on your old hooptie than Mr Z who just learned how to stitch hydes in the joint last year.

My question other then trying to advertise his business is what is the vod really about. I mean this is a guy who has been building rods for over 30 years and he doesn't have a clue about the price of an interior before he sends his client over there or is not negotiating the job for his client?

I think the whole thing is a load of crap, just a wanna be who never got enough attention as a child.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2012
  3. I gave up in the first minute, that guy's a jackass.

4. noclubjoe

noclubjoe

5. outlaw256

outlaw256

I think that lik anything else the prices in a given region reflect the econimic situation of the area. Cost also reflects who is doing the job. For example let us suppose that you want to get Mr X who is an internationaly known upholsterer. The very day you drive or drag your heap into his shop for an estimate he is just finishing up a '49 merc that is getting shipped back to Japan in a couple of days. He can and will most likey want more to do the job on your old hooptie than Mr Z who just learned how to stitch hydes in the joint last year.

My question other then trying to advertise his business is what is the vod really about. I mean this is a guy who has been building rods for over 30 years and he doesn't have a clue about the price of an interior before he sends his client over there or is not negotiating the job for his client?

I think the whole thing is a load of crap, just a wanna be who never got enough attention as a child.[/QUOTE]
    well beaner i gotta agree with ya again.i quess that kinda money for a interior would fly in a place like hollywood but down here in the deep south he wouldnt have gottin the first car in his shop.well not in my part of the deep south anyway..lol and him recommending the shop and then being suprised at the prices.whats with that.use to like to watch pete but after awhile he started gettin on my nerves.lol way to brash for me..maybe too much of a smartass is a better way of puttin it! lol

6. jcapps

jcapps
    from SoCal

Who knows what was actually being done on the chevelle? Were they buying and installing a kit? Or full custom door panels, seats, console, trunk.....etc. Without knowing the actual work being done its hard to determine.

I use one upholsterer, I have him come to my shop or bring the car to him for a quote. I know the current prices for top quality work in Socal. When he gives me a price either the customer is standing there or I tell the customer the price and the details. If accepted, I have the upholsterer write it up and have the owner sign it.

I do not spend time building a car then send the customer off to find an upholstery shop.

I do find it funny that whether its upholstery or having any work done on a rod, many cannot separate the cost of building something themselves or paying a shop and what shop overhead costs are.

If I was that shop owner, the last thing I would do is put this on youtube. It shows lack of judgement for sending customers to the slaughter house

7. Looks like reality TV, sounds like reality TV, smells like reality TV......
    Must be reality TV!

8. Special Ed

Special Ed

That was TEXAS, not Hollywood. :rolleyes:

9. gasolinescream

gasolinescream

Hope he's pretty handy this guy. I'd be looking over my shoulder a fair bit if i were him. Posting stuff like that, private phone calls etc, could earn him a good slap or 2. I know how i'd react to hearing a private phone call aired on you tube. If he and/or his customers don't get a worse case senario quote agreed before allowing work to start thats just poor business management and folks that have more money than sense. I can understand that some work is hard to quote for but an interior isn't.

10. I used to have a banty and he was forever puffing up and squaking.

Once when I was in NorCal this whistle head stuck a knife in my seat and cut it pretty good. I went to the upholstery guy that everyone used and he shot me a price. Then he grinned and handed me a roll of duct tape and said, "you are heading out to see your mom pretty soon aren't ya?" so I told him I was stopping here then heading for S Carolina. He just said that I could get it done for half what he wanted back here. I got my seat stitched back up at paseo upholstery here in town before I went south to see mom. My butt never knew the difference.

11. LUX BLUE

LUX BLUE
    Alliance Vendor
    from AUSTIN,TX

Fat Lucky is a friend of mine...
    And for one of his interiors, 17,000 would be a steal.
    And I remember when an expensive interior from him was about 5k.

Without seeing the work, and knowing what was done, this is just a guy ranting on Youtube.

Ever been to Ruths Chris steakhouse? Got that big ass check after the meal and said to yourself "damn, I could have done that at home for a quarter of that!"
    No, you couldn't. And even if you had, it wouldn't have been the same.

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

12. 3Kidsnotime

3Kidsnotime
    from Utah

Not sure on todays prices, I did own a upper end custom boat shop upholstery was always the down side when it came to delivery. Usually time not so much money, 12 years ago I was paying 5500 for a 25' open bow boat that included all wood wook high density foam 40 oz carpet and I think it was 52 oz vinyl all seats side panels back lit and hatch cover my 30' boat was around 7 grand out the door for upholstery.

13. BISHOP

BISHOP

I cant imagine anyone talking to me like that.

Pretty sure all the interior would be taken out, then he could come get his shit.

14. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

I hate reality tv. I'm not gonna watch it on the beloved honorable HAMB.

15. 59 brook

59 brook

some of you guys may have seen my freind's ot rolls royce with the blown hemi sticking out of the hood . he thought he got a bargain for the leather interior even the roll bar was covered in leather . dont forget the trunk with the tvs and leather covered roll bar . if memory serves me correct that was about 20 large

16. Model T1

Model T1

Damned, you guys warned me. Now I wasted all that time listenin to a lunitc cussin at a cell phone.
    Glad I have a friend in Illinois who can do about anything to everything with leather and tells his customers what a hide costs.
    And a 600' walk thru the woods is a little ole lady who does excellent upholstery work for a fair price. Of course, this ain't Texas!
    Not sure if I'd give $17,000 for the finished Chevelle. :(:

59 brook they won't let me close enough to a car like that to look at the TV's!

17. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

Yep I was thinking the same thing. 17k would be a steal for how much time he puts into a job, not to mention the talent that comes with it.

18. Hard to put any of this in context. It's more of a commentary on how pissed the guy is about what shit costs. Makes me pissed thinking about how much my hotrod is gonna cost before it finally sees the road....lol.

I'm %110 of the mindset that shit in this world costs way to much....it's asinine where we're going with consumption and the cost of consumer goods and services, compared to what most of us get paid for an honest days work.

I can understand that the guy is probably on the brink of insanity.... but ranting and raving ain't gonna bring the price down.

If people wanna pay $17 G for an interior job...good for them, and even better for whoever is getting paid to do it. It's no different than people paying 7 G's for a custom Italian suit, or 5 G's for alligator shoes.

The world is filled with hustlers and suckers. There's also alot of high-end craftsmen and hi-rollers.

If you got $17 G sitting around to throw on an interior job...you're in the hi-roller category, and the work better be top notch.

I feel sorry for the suckers who spend their last dollar on shit, because they got bamboozled into it.

19. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

what an obnoxious prick. who the fuck is this guy? I'd talk to him for about 30 seconds before I told him to fuck off and hung up.

20. Big Mac

Big Mac
    1. Utah HAMBers

That Pete guy is an idiot. I watched a couple video's of his, including one showing a '40 Ford grill he just had chromed but he didn't straighten it out first. Grill was all crooked and messed up, but the chrome sure looked nice! In my opinion, he's hurting his business doing stupid youtube videos of himself.

21. Model T1

Model T1

I'm %110 of the mindset that shit in this world costs way to much....it's asinine where we're going with consumption and the cost of consumer goods and services, compared to what most of us get paid for an honest days work.

I can understand that the guy is probably on the brink of insanity.....[/
    QUOTE]
    I used to think I did an honest days work for an honest days pay. Hell worked 12+ hours six days a week and some Sundays. Still can't afford what this hobby costs today.
    I do know that being way past the brink of insanity is a requirement of this hobby. :rolleyes: I spent several months at the Henry Ford clinic and it still didn't help!

22. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Maybe it's the reckless printing of more money that has made the price go up.

The upholstery guys just got the first word, that's all.

Tony Nancy is turning over in his grave.

23. Irishman

Irishman

Correct me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't the normal discussion go something like:

"How much to do my interior?"

"17 Grand"

"Um, I can't afford that. Thanks for your time. I'll have to go elsewhere".

There again, I know things can get messy. I got stung once by an Eagle Transmission in Garland a couple of years back. They took my vehicle for a quote. Called me and quoted me $1500. I declined and they said "But we already started the work. It'll cost you $1500 to get your piece of junk back".

Police got involved by me, but in the end I had to still fork over the cash to get my vehicle back. It pissed fluid all over the place and still didn't work.

Point is, tempers can fly and extreme venting can occur.

I can't say who was in the right or wrong in the interior situation.

Two sides to every story and all that guff.

24. slowmotion

slowmotion

What he said ^^

Pretty simple really.

25. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

"Pete" seems to be waiting for a network to pick him up. Tell me he wouldn't fit right in with all the rest.

On another note, those prices are friggin rediculous. The guy that does my stuff has been treating me real good on prices, but he takes FOREVER! He told me not long ago that he is closing up shop in a year or two. What the hell am I gonna do for an Upholsterer then? Something tells me I won't have an extra $17 large to drop on some seat skins....

26. You are a very kind man.

27. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

To me, it's not about the price, it's about the way the deal gets put together. If a contractor gives an estimate, then the estimate should be a "fair estimate" and not a "bait and switch" as a way to hold somebody's car hostage for a ransom.

The contractor is the professional with the experience to know what the job is going to cost. There's no valid excuse for doubling or tripling an estimate into a final price unless something very unusual happened along the way.

28. Exactly,

This kind of shit is ruining my ability to survive. Yeah, guys like Fat Lucky (and myself) are expensive for a reason. There are plenty of two bit hacks that will slap crap together for a bargain price.

When how much it costs is your only concern, well there is Harbor Freight and Wallmart for you guys.

29. zzford

zzford

Does Pete seem to be a little cranky, or is it just me?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.