Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 37 Zephyr build thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Wensum Valley Rods, Jul 28, 2012.

1. Wensum Valley Rods

Wensum Valley Rods
    from England

Cheers mate, no more progress yet been working on the house, and had loads of grief with the pond this week. The wiring harness burnt out on Bev's coupe last weekend too, no harm done but I have got to completely rewire it before the Lucky Bastards run.

See yo there mate.

2. Johnny C.

Johnny C.

Awesome project and work so far. Can't wait to see it come together.

3. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

You are a brave man!. Hell of a lot of work to get done. You have done a great job on the floor pan. Gonna keep a watch on this one.

David

4. i'm watchin', neighbour! such nice car, but rough in the basement, i'm sure you're doin' it your way, looks very nice so far! keep on, i will send good vibes to that zephyr and to you... ;)

Carsten

5. Wensum Valley Rods

Wensum Valley Rods
    from England

It's been almost a month since I did any work on the zephyr, problems with my pond, trying to sort the brakes on Bevs coupe and working on the house have kept me out of the workshop.
    Today I had a pretty good day at it and got one screen pillar looking a whole lot better.
    Still got work to do on it but as the pics show it's well on its way.
    I ended up fabricating a whole new pillar and the outer skin. Just got the header panel to finish now and tidy it up a bit more and it should be ready for leading again.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  6. Great work!! I always question how people in the past would just let these cars rot. Even back in the 50s they were as cool as hell. I sell any car that I cant store indoors. I have 10 cars but come across others that just don't seem to fit in my garage, shop, barn so I sell them to someone that can keep them indoors and not rot. I hate these type of cars being left outside to rot. Nice save!!

7. I was looking at the beginning of this thread and thinking "yeesh - that looks like it´s in an evil state", but having seen what you´ve done so far and in a pretty short space of time, I just bet this thing will turn out to be absolutely stunning.

8. johnny bondo

johnny bondo
    from illinois

wow if you save this thing you will be a saint! lol

9. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

wow, that is ROUGH,,,,,,,,,,,but ANY zephyr is worth saving..looks like you are very capable of bringing her back from the dead...that is gonna be one beautiful car when you are finished..

10. chinarus

chinarus
    from Georgia

I recall when this car was for sale a while back.
    Glad to see someone with the talent to save it bought it.

11. Wensum Valley Rods

Wensum Valley Rods
    from England

Thanks for all the encouraging comments guys. Much appreciated.

If things carry on at the pace they are at the moment and I don't hit to many problems then it may just well be on the road next summer. It will be in a primer/base coat for the first year , just to shake it down and get it all sorted before final paint.

Gaz, to answer your earlier question this one is definitely staying left hand drive, I much prefer my cars that way.

Hey Carsten thanks for the good vibes my friend, where abouts in Germany are you ? We are planning on doing some more european runs when I get the Zephyr up and running, Did the Hot heads East at Finsterwalde a few years ago and the Sins at Antwerp, had a blast at both.

Will hopefully be chipping away at it the weekend so will update soon.

Paul.

12. 4rod

4rod

What a project...the challenge alone is brave...I'll be watching...nice work

13. Hi Paul, i'm a bit north of Hamburg, maybe 10 miles. would be nice to meet you!! let's hear when you're planing something, you're welcome! Just pm me infos and there's a cold one on the table for you!
    lookin' forward to see your beautiful car as it grows back to former glory!

Cheers, Carsten

14. VonKool13

VonKool13

Wow thats gonna be a bitchin coupe!

15. so cool! I can't wait to see progress!

16. Evilfordcoupe™

Evilfordcoupe™

I've got rust rot in the same area of floors, this surely is motivation for me to keep fighting on.

Not sure why you didn't strip/ blast the car before you welded new stuff on it?

Jason

17. helmsville

helmsville

Can i speell DAJUVOOO!!!!!http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/album.php?u=29630 Can you belive all the undercouting they used and the amount of lead! all my cuts where in the same place that the factory made there cut except the door's of course, the factory welded the A post five inches from the roof well to alighn the A post they just beat the post around and filled with a shit load of lead. well good luck it will be worth it, good luck rebuilding the V12 i have * grand into mine and that's a good deal, i have ton's of part's if you need some, the guy i got mine from had a shop 150ft by 100ft full of new parts cars and old part's most of it's gone now, if you have any ? ive learned a lot. by the way i did cut on top of the wheel well couse the sadan well whas so much beter. good luck CH

Attached Files:

18. helmsville

helmsville

Couple more you can kinda see the V12 it turned out realy nice.

Attached Files:

19. Wensum Valley Rods

Wensum Valley Rods
    from England

Thanks for the replies guys.

Carsten, I will get in touch when we venture over to europe again, it won't be yet though.Hopefully by next summer.
    To answer your question Jason, I opted to get the rockers and floors in to get some strength in it before I trailer it to my shot blasters. I was going to remove the chassis and blast that and the shell and then start on the rebuild, but the chassis is very sound and comes up great with a wire wheel on the grinder. So I put the floors and rockers in and got the roof welded back on (finished welding it this weekend) , My shotblaster has been round and seen it and it will be going up there soon to have the shell blasted inside and out.

Helmsville, I have read your thread several times since you posted it. Great work. I know exactly what you mean about the lead, it's everywhere. Interesting about the screen pillar, I thought that mine had been messed with before Tom got it as I could clearly see where he had welded the roof on and then there was exactly what you described under all the lead further up the pillar.Mine's all fresh metal now.
    I didn't get the v12 with mine (ran out of money), I have a flathead v8 sitting here that will go in. I will pm you to see what spares you may have. I have just bought almost all the parts I need, it's mainly smaller things I need now.
    Your coupe is looking damn tidy now.

Paul.

20. Wensum Valley Rods

Wensum Valley Rods
    from England

Time for an update, spent the weekend on the Zephyr and got as far as I had planned (eventually), but things didn't all go to plan.
    I wanted to get the two panels in to make up the rear quarters, the first one (drivers side) went reasonably well, the second one finally went in in two bits and at the third attempt . the swage line had to be fabricated and it curves two ways (not easy). There wasn't as much good metal left on the roof on the passenger side , which meant that I had to trim it further up. This meant that the panel I made had more metal above the swage which caused problems when I tried to get it to keep shape.
    I ended up cutting the panel and remaking the swage part seperately and then welding it back in. This actually turned out pretty good. Just got to finish welding it up and clean the welds off and dress it up a bit and it should be ready for leading.
    Apart from one screen pillar that's the roof welded back on completely now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Paul

oneratfink57 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  21. Looks like it definitely landed in the right hands.

22. helmsville

helmsville

I just realized that you live across the pond, I have a V12 sitting in a crate right now and can get a prety good deal on machine work and assembly. PS.mine was blasted with aluminum oxide and boy did that work g.od .

23. farmer12

farmer12

WOW! What a great car. I can truly appreciate the work involved with a project like this. My hat is off to you sir. I'll be following this one closely for sure. Keep up the great work!!!

24. tinmann

tinmann

I'm liking the way this is going......... carry on.

25. DAVEO!

DAVEO!

Super Jealous!!!! gonna keep an eye on this build!

26. Wensum Valley Rods

Wensum Valley Rods
    from England

Got a bit more done tonight. Got the other rear deck gutter fabricated and welded in, got the gutters removed from the door openings and started on the repair of the second screen pillar. I also finished welding the rear quarter panels in last night and got them cleaned up. They haven't turned out quite as good as I had hoped, but once leaded up they will be fine.
    Once the screen pillar is finished then it's ready for sand blasting as it's now solid enough to push around and stand in.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

oneratfink57 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  27. farmer12

farmer12

Still looking good! Just a question: why don't you get it sand blasted and epoxy primered so you can see what you have? Just a thought....

I did with mine and this way I could clearly see which areas were good and bad. Good luck with this awesome project!!

28. Great looking work.

29. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Whoa. That's easily one of the roughest I've seen on here.

But that '37 front is my favorite out of all the Zs so I'm excited to see this one getting saved.

30. pdc

pdc

I would be overwhelmed with a project like this. Great looking work!