Register now to get rid of these ads!

Phoenix- Central Cruise Sat Oct 13

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by applekrate, Sep 17, 2012.

1. Just heard that the Central Cruise will be Saturday, Oct 13. Make plans to attend. I'll be there with my '66 GTO.

4th ann Pontiac Buick Olds FALL FEST Sat , Nov 3
    www.pbofallfest.org

Last edited: Sep 17, 2012
  2. Razorshotrods

Razorshotrods
    from Phoenix

its actually Saturday the 13th.

3. thanks! I was able to make changes in time because of you. :)

4. D.SCOTT

D.SCOTT

I loved that cruise till they started charging!

5. The promoter needs to make a buck for her time- nothing wrong with that at all. We all cannot do things for charity.
    If you cannot afford it, you can still cruise Central or park in another area. There are lots of options.

6. Mike

Mike

The first 5 years of this cruise were non-sanctioned, not officially organized events with an emphasis on actually cruising. They were a totally bitchin', not to be missed deal.

Someone felt they needed to organize this cruise and that changed the spirit of the whole deal. Organization has brought a $10 fee to park in Park Central, vendors, nit wits in monster golf carts, jokers out at 9:00am saving blocks of spaces for their pals and other superfluous (sp), slapped ass nonsense. Also, the police restrict Central Ave to one lane in each direction, making the actual cruising more like sitting in a really bad traffic jam with cool cars.

The whole deal is now a huge but mediocre car event that sometimes seems hardly worth the hassle of attending / participating.

Last spring, the official cruise was postponed 1 week due to threatening weather. The weather for the original date turned out nice, so a large number of people cruised "unofficially"on that day any way. That cruise was much more fun than the official deal held a week later.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2012

7. To an extent, I agree with you. I also was there on the postponed 'weather' day and really enjoyed myself. Not sure what the solution would be to your post.

8. Mike

Mike

There really isn't any solution. Like so many other good things (i.e. VLV) the Central Cuise just got too popular and became so big that a change like this was inevitable. I'm just lamenting that it ain't any where near what it used to be.

I still usually go to the Criuse in its current incarnation, and even with all the non-sense and hassle, I still manage to have a good time.

P.S. The weather is getting good, we gotta get more folks out for the "outlaw" weekly cruise.

9. broey

broey

I was at the last cruise and chatted up with a police officer on foot for a good 45 minutes. He explained that the organizers were not at fault for the harsh police enforcement. It was actually the fault of the people who still went out and cruised the day it got postponed. The officer (who was really nice about everything and said he has worked foot patrol at cruise on central for 8 years) said that they received more complaints from businesses and by-passers that day than they ever have before. Which prompted the chief of police to step in. He attended the cruise on central with a strong force and made it clear that they will not tolerate the way people were acting. It was his decision to keep the sidewalks clear, to put central down to one lane, and to enforce every law in the books. So, it wasn't Nancy that ruined it. It was fellow car people.

On a personal note. I showed up the day it was postponed. People were FOR SURE being total dicks and doing things they never would have tried on an actual cruise day. I watched a guy in a mid 90's impala do donuts in the intersection at a red light across all 4 lanes and the light rail tracks. also saw a guy in a mustang high center himself of a curb doing burn outs.

I hope this event is better, But Im gonna be at Pamona Swap anyways that weekend.

10. 29sportcoupe

29sportcoupe
    from arizona

Sounds like I missed a good time at the "postponed" date. Apparently the police had the day off that night and were incapable of patrolling the streets. So we get punished for their inability to control a few people? Innocent until proven guilty? Not any more!

I would think they would love us out there so they can make revenue from the ones breaking the law. Kind of like keeping mice in a fish tank to feed the snake when its hungry.

11. All of you that have posted in this thread make giggle a little. Just do this instead.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=705479

I will still come out for the cruze but will park at George and Dragon and sit on the porch with our club and watch everyone go by and laugh at the idiots on the road.

12. Wow I’m in town this weekend, unfortunately I will driving a non HAMB friendly car. Hope to meet some Rattlers at George and Dragon this day!

Lars and Karin

13. Mike

Mike

All right Lars! Birchin'! I had dinner with Magnus the other night and he mentioned that you would be out here next month.

Will you still be around for the follwing weekend? California Hot Rod Reunion and El Mirage will be going on then.

I look forward to seeing you.

Later,
    Mike

14. Yep! We will be there, cool to meet you all again.
    Say hi to Mary from Lars and Karin.