Register now to get rid of these ads!

Front brakes for 47 Ford, what will fit?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chevy3600, Sep 17, 2012.

1. Chevy3600

Chevy3600
    from Chicago

I've been doing my research here and it seems that there are a few alternatives to the stock drums on the front of my 47 Ford Fordor.

Can anyone tell me what they have used that wont kill my wallet? I really dont want to use the stock brakes. and I know that I can upgrade the brakes for about the same price I would pay for stock. So, suggestions?

2. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

I used speedways disc brake conversion, it's around $300 but includes everything but the grease. Went on in an afternoon pretty straight forward. It's an 11 3/4 disc and clears my stock 16" wheels and has the stock bolt pattern.

The two tough spots are pressing on the seal/bearing adapters and I had to notch the brackets to clear the steering stops better. So far I'm happy with them.

I think it's like a 74 ish f truck disc with a 74 big gm car caliper

3. Chevy3600

Chevy3600
    from Chicago

Well $300 isnt bad at all considering the stock brakes would be almost that to completely redo the front brakes. This car has been sitting for 25+ years.

Do you know exactly which kit you used?

4. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Yeah that why I went with it, let me find a catalog and I'll get you the parts number

5. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

5 on 5 1/2 disc brake kit for 37-48 ford spindals

Deluxe kit- $319

# 910-31909

It's the one in the catalog that has the warning that says it won't work with early ford wire or steel drum brake wheels. My 16" stock ford wheels worked just fine.

Might want to double check that that'll work for ya but I'm 99% sure that's the one I use. Don't have the recite in front of me to be sure

6. Chevy3600

Chevy3600
    from Chicago

Ok, thank you very much! I will look into that tomorrow. Time to hit the sheets now.

7. fordor41

fordor41

Used a Speedway front disc kit on mine. Went pretty well except the mounting bolts were too short and had to turn some off the back of the spindle nut to get the cotter pin in. Also had to find a dust cap. Used a mopar as my calipers are Mopar. 15" rims fit over the disc.

8. zibo

zibo
    from dago ca

I've got f-1 bendix brakes, (11" drums) on my 40 and it's a good upgrade.
    I'm using the original master cylinder.
    If you're going with the discs,
    you'll be doing a master cylinder change too,
    late 60's mustang works.
    TP

9. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

F1's, buicks, 1950's chevy(machining involved), kinmounts, or 40's like it already should have....

10. Chrisbcritter

Chrisbcritter

This may be one of those "fuzzy memories" deals but I remember an old "Bench Session" question in Rod & Custom along these lines answered by saying a complete Lincoln Zephyr brake setup would be a bolt-on and would lock-up the wheels when you pointed your toe at it. True?

11. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

X2 on the Speedway disc kit. I installed that kit on a '47 coupe a few years ago...used a '67/'72 Mustang mastercylinder (15/16" bore). Gave excellent pedal feel and stopping action without power boost due to the combination of big discs, big rotors and a fairly light car (est. 3500#).

The Lincoln brakes work better than stock Ford primarily because they are Bendix with self-energizing shoes, unlike the Ford units. But cost will likely be greater. I would expect them to perform well enough, but the disc kit is good value for the money.

At least you have choices.

Ray

12. Bump. I want to learn more.....

13. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Longer caliper bolts came with my kit, I used the stock spindal nut and washer and had zero problems on that end. Came with dust cover and all

14. T_Bird Guy

T_Bird Guy

I am using F1 drum conversion on my 1947 Ford Fordor. It stops great and I have driven it around the midwest with no problems.

15. ^^^^^What year F1 ? I'm OK with the drums, but I'm all for better stopping power.

16. `48-`52 ford F1 or `53-`56 ford F100 front brakes are basically the same

17. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

18. Chevy3600

Chevy3600
    from Chicago

I think I'll probably go with the disc brake setup. I've got a donor car that I can take the master cylinder from. Its a 77 Ford LTD II. It was my friends and he drove that thing almost 50mi a day, ran like a champ. Im using the 351 out of there, it has some performance mods, and the previous owner put in an AOD, so I'll be using that too. I plan on pirating whatever I can from that car.

Thanks for the info guys!

19. Wow!! I think I have a set of F1 front brakes on my workbench! I'm not sure, I need to check part nos, and dimensions, but both backing plates have new everything on them.
    Are they enough better than the original 47 brakes to be worth the effort to install?
    Will they work with the original 47 master cylinder?

20. post some pic's and someone here will know!:D

21. ^^^^^ I FINALLY learned how to post multiple images!! Pat the old geezer on the back!!!!

22. zibo

zibo
    from dago ca

The ford will probably have a power/vacuum setup.
    I'd research the bore size and see if it is compatible.
    A non-power 60's mustang MC is $40-65 at parts store.
    TP

23. zibo

zibo
    from dago ca

Definitely worth the swap.
    They are 11" vs 12" but the shoe width is much wider.
    The bendix jamming effect will feel like discs in comparison.
    TP

24. Chevy3600

Chevy3600
    from Chicago

Hey Mike, if those brakes are just sitting on your bench, feel free to send them my way! hahah

25. ^^^^^No.......I think I just found a use for them........

26. Chevy3600

Chevy3600
    from Chicago

Well hey, cant blame a guy for asking right? haha