Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects WOW an Update (#2) My '37 Chev truck build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by K13, Sep 26, 2011.

1. harley rider

harley rider

nice bed.are you a wood worker that builds cars or a mechanic that does wood work.I am a furniture maker . nice work.

2. LeadSledMerc

LeadSledMerc

Awesome job...it's coming along real nice!!!

I missed this last update when you posted it, but keep them coming...I'll catch up!:D

3. HAHA neither actually. My Dad did woodworking as a hobby and was into British cars and trucks so I picked most of it up from him. The metal working stuff, welding etc is all self taught. I know enough to get by but that is about it:D. My problem is I have so many varied interest that I don't have the time to get really good at any of them. Thanks!

Thanks Keith!! As I have said before your car is a huge inspiration to me. I have reread yout TRJ feature about 10 times now.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  4. Small update. Got one drip rail shaved on the weekend. Have to wait to get to the other one as my welder doesn't reach and it is a huge production to get it to reach to the other side. As per usual I took no inprogess shots but I used the metalsurgeons technique that he used on his 1938 pepsi truck post and he does much nicer work than I do so check it out for the details of how it was done.:D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not overly exciting but 1/2 of one more thing off the list.:rolleyes:

5. BadLuck

BadLuck

Just saw this thread..what a cool build, makes me want to start my 36.. lookin good, keep posting updates!

6. gump

gump

7. Thanks guys!!

8. cleatus

cleatus
    from Sacramento

Lookin good. Those last shots remind me of building my car in my old (small) garage.
    "I'll get to the other side next summer when I turn the car around"

9. <HR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #d1d1e1; COLOR: #d1d1e1" SIZE=1> <!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->
    Alright I got a little bit more done. Working on the tailend this time. I am using a Briz bumper out back as well so I needed to make a pan for the back to fill in the space.

I started by getting some bends put in a piece of sheet metal I thn cut the shape of the bumper out on the leading edge and then used a hammerform to turn an edge down to give it some strength.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And then installed with taillights. Sorry for the crappy picture but the sun was at my back.

[​IMG]

Now I have to put a couple of holes in the bumper to run the exhaust through and I will have pretty much wrapped up the backend.
    <!-- / message -->

10. speedaddict

speedaddict
    from Austin, Tx

sick build...subscribed

11. resqd37Zep

resqd37Zep
    from Nor Cal

That is some beautiful workmanship! Thanks for the update.

12. There is a Kwik gauge thing on the rear pan in your last post.
    What is that used for?

13. nice work on the wood bed !! where did you find undrilled stainless strips ? looking for some for a project i am working on .

14. Thanks guys I appreciate the kind words.

They are a scribe. They come in a set of 3 and each one has 4 different measurements on it. The one shown is in 16ths so the points are 3/16", 5/16", 7/16" and 9/16" so you can quickly scribe a line at any of those measurements without having to break out a ruler. Really nice for curved pieces where you couldn't use a ruler along the entire length. The other two are 1/8" 3/8", 5/8" and 7/8" and 1/4", 1/2" 3/4" and 1". I think I got mine from So-Cal but they are probably available at a bunch of places.

I got them from Mack Hills Inc. If you are looking for bed parts they are great.

15. POLYFRIED 35

POLYFRIED 35

Nice work!

16. nhmikel

nhmikel
    from NH

How much space between bed and cab?

17. Sorry man I didn't see your question until now. I will have to check for an exact measurement but I would guess 2" but I built the bed from scratch so it probably won't match a stock configuration.

18. Well I haven't update this in about forever so here is a little bit of an update on what I have or more like haven't been doing. Not a whole lot to report but I have started in on a bit of the body work and let me tell you it sucks balls!!!

Body and paint guys earn every penny they charge and then some.

Front Fenders:
    [​IMG]

Hood Sides:
    [​IMG]

Front partially assembled:
    [​IMG]

Front with grill and headlight barely hanging in place:
    [​IMG]

I have primed the box sides, rear fenders and tailgate as well but didn't take any pictures and have started the finish on the bed wood but no pictures of that either. I will try and get some this weekend of that stuff. That's it for now.

chryslerfan55 and volvobrynk like this.
  19. Looks great man!

20. cleatus

cleatus
    from Sacramento

Damn dude, really nice work!
    some nice shapes going on
    Body work does suck balls, but it looks like you're doing a nice clean job of it

21. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

Awesome. Cant wait to see more progress. Traditional custom trucks are cool

22. Black Primer

Black Primer

It's pretty amazing what you can get done in that little garage! Looks good.

23. Thanks guys!

24. Here are a few pictures of the bed wood cleared. I did most of the coats by hand and sprayed the last couple. Kind of tough to see much in the pictures but it definitley brought the grain out in the Cherry. I still need to sand and polish them to get them perfectly smooth but they don't look bad as it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

25. nhmikel

nhmikel
    from NH

Well it looks like I need a new battery location. Mine is almost touchng the ground from previous owner.
    Would some of you post some pics? 34-38 chevy trucks. Mine is a 1936 C

26. I am putting mine under the passanger side floor. Easy to access, close to the starter, close to a frame rail. I just made a holder out of angle iron and mounted it to the crossmember and frame.

27. koolkemp

koolkemp

Wow that looks great!! I think its a brilliant idea ,the early custom styling being applied to a pickup...when can we see it outside ?!

28. Thanks, As for seeing it outside I would be happy to as long as you agree to come out and help me push it back up the driveway to get it back in the garage.:D

Actually I need to get the cab off the chassis to do the body work on it and so I can finish off some little stuff on the chassis so if I get to that before winter rolls in I will have to push it out and I will take some pictures then.

29. nhmikel

nhmikel
    from NH

Hi K13
    Where's your battery?
    Any pics?