Register now to get rid of these ads!

What makes the 32 Ford cpe better than the 31

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by pearl31, Sep 17, 2012.

1. You nailed it.

Most guys posts are just opinions... because they don't know about the history.

But '32 was one of Ford's worst years... so production of this landmark car was low.

It was the first successful v8 engine... and the aftermarket equipment and speed parts industry made the flathead "great".

You could have a factory hot rod... strip the fenders, hop the motor up... hot rod.

Well, the '32 bodies were heavier than the Model A bodies... so, quite a few '32 bodies got junked in favor of the lighter Model A body.

This added to their rareity...

and price.

Sam

2. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Hot Rod Magazine went over this 47 years ago. ;)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

3. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

I've owned 2 "A" roadsters, have one now, and a coupe, One 32 3wdw, and a 34 3wdw. My favorite is the '34, but I like them all.

4. Model T1

Model T1

I've owned all four years and several styles of Model A's. Never a 32. But most of the posts answer why I'd take a 32 over a Model A anyday !
    Just the switch to the V8 and flush doors is enough.
    And as a few posts say, it wasn't a perfect car or a smooth transition. After all, many loved the Model A Ford.
    To begin with, the early flathead V-8's were mostly trouble, not completely road ready when the 32's did come out. But eventually they proved to be much more reliable and fast.
    Like the Edsel, the bullet nosed Studebaker, the Chrysler Airflow, Tucker, etc. different and ahead of it's time.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2012
  5. Stupid is as stupid does.. I own 2 model a's but would sell everything I own to get a 32

6. Let's not forget the A Vicky was a proving ground for many many many of the duece attributes :)

7. I have had some of both, but still have the 32's

8. bblue34

bblue34

Because Bonnie and Clyde had one.....And the would out run the COPS

9. Mr Haney

Mr Haney

same thing that made the 55 chevy "Holly Grail" with guys my age

AMERICAN GRAFFITI MOVIE:D

10. Model T1

Model T1

A lot of people think that. But I've had Model A's and 55 Chevys way before I ever heard of that movie. And loved 32 Fords since I could say "car kar".
    Of course, I'm probably not your age.

11. Model As are acceptable ... if they have a 32 nose on them, but nothing beats a thirty two with the 32-34 pu in second.

12. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Not to nit pick but I believe Bonnie and Clyde had a '34. Supposedly wrote Henry praising its attributes. However, the sheet metal was thin so they both got shot up good!:)

13. captain scarlet

captain scarlet
    from Detroit

'cause model a doesn't have a three window coupe :)

14. Joe Didio

Joe Didio

Most everyone should or will agree that the 32 is the king. I have owned two. A roadster and still have a 3 window (both glass cars). But I have to say I really like my 30 Model A.

Attached Files:

• 007.jpg
      007.jpg
      File size:
      283.9 KB
      Views:
    • 008.jpg
      008.jpg
      File size:
      263.1 KB
      Views:
  15. swissmike

swissmike

What's the difference between a $20 and a $100 bottle of wine? Not really all that much, but to some people it's worth it and the other 95 percent of the people wouldn't know the difference.

16. seabeecmc

seabeecmc
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have to say I really like your 30 Model A too! Ron

17. I personally like the looks of a 30/31 coupe over a 32 when they are hot rodded, but thats personal looks. As for quality, the 32 is way above an A.

18. gasserjohn

gasserjohn

i think that the stainless steel modelA type grill is the best
    i think that the 32 shell looks stupid on a modelA.......

i think a 33-34 ford low&chopped looks fast just sitting there

built my A in 65 still have it..............

Attached Files:

19. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

The lines. It's all about the lines. While the '32 isn't my favorite, compared to a Model A, it's just about perfect.

20. modelamotorhead

modelamotorhead

21. TANNERGANG

TANNERGANG
    BANNED
    from alabama

If their built like 3030"s and Joe Didlo's Model A's..I like the Model A's almost as good.........but the best explanation I know is this one...."Have you ever had the date of a lifetime out for the first time when you were young...and when you pulled or walked in and you could tell everyone was looking at you thinking....Man!!!!....I wish that was me with that!".......that's the way you feel when you drive in somewhere in a Deuce Coupe.........................just my opinion.

22. N8B

N8B

Because the song doesn't go: "Little A coupe - You don't know what I got - Just a little A coupe with a flat head mill - But she'll walk a thunderburn like she's standin still".

23. Deuces

Deuces

Now all you need is a matching 5W coupe...;)

24. Deuces

Deuces

Yeah, it don't sound right....
    But I do like the Hot Rod Lincoln song... ;)

25. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

They were killed driving a 34 ... but this March 1933 photo shows them clearly with a 1932 :D The fact is Clyde preferred V8 Fords and stole ( and drove ) whatever he could steal.

[​IMG]

26. The Model has wood.
    The '32 gives you wood.:D

27. Model A 3 window coupe.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

28. And a vicky.
    My favorite actually.

29. I like the look of the 32s, no sharpe bits, but the Model As are catching up in my opinion. I had a steel 32 roadster in the early eighties. OH and why and how can a glass 32 be worth so much even when it has NO real 32 bits in it !!!!!! the cost of image ? JW

30. 343w

343w

It has become a situation of supply and demand establishing the price. The 32 has always been in greater demand, mainly for style and build quality, and the flathead V8. No year model american made car can even come close in popularity to the world famous 32 Ford. It will always be number one with us old farts from the 40's and 50's.........