Register now to get rid of these ads!

whats the old school brush painting called and who still does it?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BadassBadger, Sep 16, 2012.

1. krooser

krooser

2. inkblots55

inkblots55
    from New York

I'm the son of a sign painter. Here's some lettering I did on a tank a few years ago. A combination of airbrush and hand stripping. Also a hand drawn layout.
    [​IMG]

3. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Man, I could kick myself for not taking up the apprenticeship now................
    But hell man, I had a LOT of fun shooting at people, jumping out of planes, blowing shit up, flying around the world at tax payers expense and getting paid to do it though.............. So maybe I don't care all that much??

Doc.

4. Exactly! The true signwriters all had/have a style you can identify from a distance. Whether it be color schemes, a unique combination of typefaces, their individual 'hand', ..... or all of those, it becomes like your signature.

5. philly the greek

philly the greek
    from so . cal.

This is my 40th year in this business, so I'll stand with Edweird on this side of the fence .

Attached Files:

6. Philly, I have been a sign man for 50 years and I must compliment your work.

7. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

My good friend Derek McDonald is a hard core traditional sign painter. He owns golden west sign arts in Berkeley Calif.

Vinyl will make any car or sign in general look cheap and half assed in my opinion, especially if you're going for an "old look" that would require paint to be correct.

Derek doesn't even do hot rod pinstriping much at all. Just old school lettering and gold/silver leafing.

Vynull sucks!

8. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

And also, vinyl has really only been popular since the 90s. Sign painting was a normal serious business all the way until then.

9. <TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset" class=alt2>Originally Posted by edweird [​IMG]
    we are sign painters! and we are all close even though we live many miles from one another. its a GOD given talent.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

With great respect, I have to disagree. The work Phil & Ed show here proves they are NOT signpainters, ..... but SIGN ARTISTS!

Super Work Gentlemen!

10. there are some pics that my son posted on the altered wheelbase picture thread. starting with post 1212 its the red 65 dodge. there are some good shots of it over several pages. when he comes home from college i will ask him to post more.

11. LOL! Hmmm... I always thought it was the other way 'round. The vinyl sign guys were the normal and serious ones. A lot of the really impressive sign painters were anything BUT normal and serious! ;)

12. THe Kopper Kart was around long before Vinyl machines were invented.

13. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

14. deathmobile

deathmobile

youre best bet is get in contact with Bob Behounek out of the chicago area hes been writing for Signcraft magazine for years and in my opinion one of the best in the business

http://www.facebook.com/bob.behounek

15. joekool

joekool
    from chicago

Fantastic video.............What happened to that America? Before it became cheap and disposible.

16. gasolinescream

gasolinescream

Anyone who can pick up a brush and create work like this is a born artist, pure and simple. To work a brush to produce a font or to lay a perfect line takes so much imagination, knowledge and skill. I'm in ore of anyone that can do stuff like this, they are all legends to me. They inspire me at a hobby level to have at it and have fun with the one shot!

The HAMB Friday art show is always something to look forward to :cool:

17. EZ Cool

EZ Cool
    Alliance Vendor
    from Slaton TX

Here's the sign that Ken Smith hand painted on the side of the company car in my avitar. Good sign painting is definately pure art.
    [​IMG]

18. sololobo

sololobo

We are blessed here in the South Omaha area. We have two of the best Richard Victor and Jim Curran, both can stripe, letter, image, gold leaf, and talent beyond belief! Two classy classics. Bravo!! ~sololobo~

19. gasolinescream

gasolinescream

Ez Cool that's the stuff right there. I'd loved to have seen Ken lay that out. Amazing work:cool:

20. jimmy1931

jimmy1931

Rick Knight in Okla City does it all. My '31 has hand lettering, airbrushing, and pinstriping. Leonard Wren in the Tulsa area also does great work.

Attached Files:

• HB1.jpg
      HB1.jpg
      File size:
      260.2 KB
      Views:
  21. Normbc9

Normbc9

Here are a couple of examples. If he is still alive there is a craftsman near the town of Sonora who does excellent brush painting work. We arranged to take a '27 fire engine under restoration to him in 2006 and the completed job was magnificent. BUT.. it took two months and it had to do with prep and the numerous steps plus ample time for drying properly. He told me he had been in the business since the late '30's.
    Normbc9

22. Normbc9

Normbc9

The photo attachment didn't go the first time. I hope this does. I have a '37 Pontic sales brochure and in it the statement "latest dip painting processes are being used." I don't think the spray process was used in the mass produced autos until after that time.
    Normbc9

Attached Files:

23. GReat work here!!

24. amazing work!!!

25. edweird

edweird

just finished this. i made a pattern from what i could see of the original artwork. then found some reference material online. all one shot lettering enamel.

Attached Files:

26. inkblots55

inkblots55
    from New York

This was another tank i did a few years ago. Airbrush pre clearcoat [​IMG]

27. sinticket

sinticket

ZACH SUHR...he is a great sign painter. He really has it going on!!!

28. inkblots55

inkblots55
    from New York

My dad was a sign painter for fifty years. Here's some examples of his work.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The last photo was of him using a bucket loader as an easel.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2012
  29. Here's a few I've done over the past few years.

Attached Files:

30. RatPin

RatPin

I've got a guy fairly close to me that does awesome custom work. Lot's of business stuff. I never thought of having him do work on my truck but that's a great idea.

Here's a sign he made for me this summer
    [​IMG]