Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage 2012 Redneck Rumble Pics

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Flipper, Sep 16, 2012.

1. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Hard to believe there are any of those around for use in street cars, let alone the cost. But I bet is sure sounds cool, Gary

2. Model A John

Model A John
    from wichita ks

Man, what a cool car show! Thanks for showing your pictures.

3. Asphalt Outlaw Hero

Asphalt Outlaw Hero
    from Dixie

The owner has lots of Indy type cars. He is also a dyed in the wool Hot Rodder. So why not!

4. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

^^^ indeed. Better there than on an engine stand in a museum. Gary

5. ThirdGen

ThirdGen
    from Wales, ME

Thanks for the great pics! looks like there was a big showing of great looking cars! I really dig Ricky Bobby's sedan. Very nice!

6. Tore

Tore

Thanks fore posting ! nice pics :)

7. Flipper

Flipper
    from Kentucky

8. He's also quite a character :p At one of the very first Rumbles, he parked that thing next to my swap space, got out, and started walking away...some guys looking at it said "hey what's it got in it?".....Bill turned around and barked "a MOTOR!"....:eek::D

9. BillWallace

BillWallace

The best ever picture thread of car shows.

10. BadLuck

BadLuck

awesome pics.. thanks for sharing

11. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

thanks for sharing. Looks like a pretty big show. Maybe next year??

12. enfieldjoe

enfieldjoe
    from Eustis, FL

Great pix of some nice looking rides. Thanks for sharing!

13. PossumJR.

PossumJR.
    from Walls,MS

14. PossumJR.

PossumJR.
    from Walls,MS

Not to ruffle any feathere TINLGER but some of the JUNK at that show and i do mean JUNK was and is a total disgrace to hot roding and the custom car world. People that bolt crap to there car just to try and get attention have no buisness in this hobby. I could not believe some of the stupid crap that was driving around that show. It was like a freakin. shriners circus. I dont know about you but thats not the kind of BS i want to see when i get on the HAMB.

15. The above statement is quite true: I am VERY tired of the whole RR at any show. Start parting them out and take the remains to the scrap yard so our hobby is no longer jeopardized.

On the sunny side, excellent photos that helped me take in the show one last time. Nice choice of true hot rods and customs. Thanks for posting.

16. Probably the coolest authentic hot rod on the grounds this weekend. [​IMG]

17. 32STUPRES

32STUPRES

Okay guys, here's the lowdown on the Indy Ford 4 cammer powered '29 roadster that yall saw at the RR...I brought it up there after me prodding my good friend Bill Akin of Nashville to get it out and show it some...I was amazed at the attention it got and more amazed by the "guesses" by many as to what the engine actually is...it's a 255 cu. in. that in 1964 Ford spent millions on to design especially for the Indy 500 with winning the main goal...it's based loosely on a 260 cast iron block...all else is specific to this engine...about 400-450 HP in race format and ran at about 9,500 to 10,000 rpms..this paricular engine was purchased by Bill from A.J. Foyt in the late 70's...these engines were very successful in the 65 thru 67 era and this engine is responsible for putting the Offy powered front engine roadsters out of business...these later ran on dirt on occasion and early on a guy from the West Coast actually had one in a streetable hot rod...what throws everyone off is in race format the snake exhaust came out the top...Bill figured out the heads would swap side to side and exit the exhaust out the bottom...then made the intakes for the Webers and MANY one off pieces on this car including the wheel centers and the real knock offs...car sits today as it was in about '84 when he diverted his interests to restoring Offy front engine roadsters of which he has 3 Pebble Beach winning cars of which he shows and DRIVES at Indy each year during the festivities of the 500 and we have also taken two of his cars for many laps around the historic Milwaukee Mile...

Bill is grumpy as hell, but I guarantee you he's the real deal and has been a long time friend of mine...does all his own work in his well-equipped basement shop at home... is considered all over the country as an Offy guru..so if you see this car or one of his Indy roadsters at an event...I'm usually with him and you can talk to me and I'll try to give some sane answers as to the best of my ability!!:)

And yes this engine is noisy and rattly due to all the square cut gears and of course you couldn't hear all this in race format due the extremely loud open headers...the tranny is a Doug Nash 5 speed and the rear is a Halibrand quick change...car is very streetable and very quick especially on the top end of the rpm scale where it was designed to run.

Thanks Flipper for all the photos and thanks to all of you for admiring this car at the Rumble....we'll be back if I don't kill the SOB first!!!!! Joe

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 17, 2012
  18. Philbilly

Philbilly

Great pics! Thanks for sharing.

19. Flipper, thanks for sharing the pics. Yeah there was some junk there -- as one of the oldest hot rodders/vendors said at the Rumble, "I've never seen so much junk in my life!"; his statement was both compliment and criticism.

I believe it was the best Rumble yet -- the cars are getting better and better.

Thanks again for sharing. Was mine the only pre-WWII style hot rod there?

20. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

Thanks for the good words, and thanks for a great bunch of pics Flipper.

21. flathead okie

flathead okie

22. Forddraggin

Forddraggin

Man you would believe how good it sounded.that guy drove it around all weekend.it was pretty sweet

23. JVK54

JVK54

Great Pics..Looks like an excellent show.

24. Flipper

Flipper
    from Kentucky

Is this your T? Man, I love that little car!

[​IMG]

I drooled all over it last year.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 16, 2012
  25. primed34

primed34

Good to see you again Flip. Thanks for posting.

26. bradshaw

bradshaw
    from ontario

Thanks for all the Cool picture......And even some old dodges...

27. Edgrrrrr

Edgrrrrr
    from Kentucky

Rumble was great this year! Good weather, great cars, not so great cars, a few shit boxes. Great food from the possum trailer, and made a lot of money at the swap meet. Flip, awesome pics I missed a bunch of the cars. Looked thru last yrs pics also was cool to see my old model a in there. Look forward to meeting some of y'all at future events.

28. hotrodpodo

hotrodpodo

29. sr808

sr808

Thanks for posting. There were some nice cars there.

30. Flipper

Flipper
    from Kentucky

Yep, now a full fendered, un-chopped A is on my wish list too!