Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 41 plymouth coupe 392 hemi build thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by farmer12, Apr 7, 2010.

1. hot_rod_bones

hot_rod_bones
    from topeka, ks

im going to cover my running boards with Rhino Bed Liner. i just think it will be the best thing for my application. im not looking for show quality stuff.

2. farmer12

farmer12

Thanks Scott. The amount of views blows me away as well! There appears to be a steady group of followers, but I think only a few dozen of them leave comments. I for one really appreciate the comments and suggestions.

With regards to the running board, the dents were filled by hammer and dolly!:D The only places that still have a dent is on top where the bottom bracket of the board is welded on and acces is very limited. I think here I'll need a mm or two of filler. After that, I want to cover the running board as a whole in a finely ribbed rubber mat.

3. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Hey Eric nice work, it's really getting there, keep it coming mate

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

4. hammered30

hammered30
    from west aus

hi eric you have come a long way since you started . the quality of your build is fantastic and the way you take pictures and describe everything is second to none. keep up the great work. i think the amount of views you get and why so few people leave comments is that people dont know what to to say about the quality because it is so bloody good :D:D:D

5. farmer12

farmer12

Thank you gatz. I've had a look around and find them very expensive too. Also the new reproduction ones are just not the same: there appears to be little to no curvature on the outside. In order to prevent the car from becoming too street rod like, I've decided to stay away from the smooth running boards.

So covering them with rubber is what I'm going to do. This will also eliminate me from having to fill all the small "breather" holes as well. I'm going to wrap them in rubber all over, even around the bottom lip. Now by choosing a fairly thin rubber, I won't get a big rubber package look as I can bend the material tightly around the boards. Like most cars with running boards it will have a big "NO STEP" sign.:D

6. Car

Car
    from the desert

nice work on the running board brackets. you just never fail to amaze me. love the work you do.

7. DeSotoman

DeSotoman
    from Norway

Nice work man.... It's the hi light of the day when the note from Hamb says new post on Farmer12 is arrived. I've got a -41 DeSoto Buisiness coupe myself. Engine swap at the moment. chevy 350 out and 392 Hemin in.... of course. Both my engine mount was broken, but I came ower a Nichson timing cover whit engine mount.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/album.php?albumid=20679&pictureid=412818
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/album.php?albumid=20679&pictureid=412817
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/album.php?albumid=20679&pictureid=386611
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/album.php?albumid=20679&pictureid=412816

8. farmer12

farmer12

Thank you Car. It's been a busy week this week with my usual job....... More progress on the running boards next week.

9. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

There is some light duty industrial stair tread material that looks about like that - finely ribbed. Also check the UK restoration sites, there might be something for an early Rolls or Bently that might look like what you want. The finely ribbed stuff tends to hold rocks/sand though.

10. nali

nali

Keep on Farmer :p
    Canada s powa :p

11. farmer12

farmer12

Glad to hear you're enjoying the build thread DeSotoman. Perhaps you should start one too! I love this pic of your car/hemi! Good luck with the build and if I can help you in any way, let me know.

Attached Files:

12. buikwag

buikwag
    1. Buick Nailheads

Hi:
    I have been following your build thread from the very beginning, Its been great watching your progress. I am always intrigued by the many different methods you have used to solve problems along the way. I realize that this is your car, but I cant help feeling some investment myself as I follow along. Keep up the great work I'll be here until the end. Thank You. Jack from So Cal.

13. farmer12

farmer12

Thank you sir for the info. I actually did see some great material in the connecting bridge (aircraft) last week. Very durable and fairly finely ribbed. May have to chase up that manufacturer......Also the Rolls/Bentley material is worth looking into. Thanks!

Thank you. Just not sure what "s powa" means......

Thank you my friend. That looks very good too! Choices, choices....Thank you Carsten!

14. RodStRace

RodStRace

Farmer, I also look at this thread on a regular basis. I don't have much to say but what a fantasic job!
    I will offer that anyone who is crazy enough to spend 8 hours modifying brackets can certainly machine their own (added length) running board rubber vulcanizing molds! j/k

15. farmer12

farmer12

Thank you Steve, hope to catch up with you soon!

Thank you hammered30! The amount of followers still blows me away!

It's great to have you along for the ride Jack! I think that solutions to hurdles is what this game is all about. You can't just get a wrench and build a car. I think you're 100% right about the investment regarding thought and advise!

16. farmer12

farmer12

Thank you for the kind words RodStRace. There are a few companies that make the molds, but apart from being very pricey, it's not what I'm looking for. I'm just going to cover them with rubber once the surface is completely flat. I know spending 8 hours on modifying some brackets may seem long, but the hours just seem to fly by. Most days I'll be in the garage by 9 and before I know it its 4 or 5 o'clock. Damn, forgot lunch again......

17. farmer12

farmer12

Yes, I have been busy the last couple of days. Mounted the running board mounts to the chassis and got them lined up. Next was the running board itself. For some reason Plymouth made them too short at the rear (probably for ease of installation on the production line), leaving a gap of approximately 1 inch. This has always bothered me somehow. So it was time to extend it.

I first attacked the lower corners. These were badly formed (see pic 1), probably due to the big old factory press creating a lot of shrinking and stretching in a tight corner. Added a little material, welded and smoothed them.(pic 2) After cutting a rear piece of the running board, I test fitted it and came to the conclusion that 17 mm of stretch was required. After a few hours of bending, cutting, welding, etc, I got it looking good. Gave it a quick spray and mounted it on the car. The gap at the front and rear fender is now 5mm, giving me adequate room for the rubber "mat". I may require just a little bit of filler here and there to make it completely smooth. (I think lead would be a bit too extreme for something to be covered by rubber eventually.) A little hammer and dolly work is still to be done in one or two places, but you get the general idea.:D

Attached Files:

18. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Smooth like butta.

19. Plung

Plung
    from San Diego

The extended running board looks great and much better. I for one never understood why the company made them the way they did. Perfection as usual Eric.

20. farmer12

farmer12

Thanks Matt.

Thank you Mick. Hope to get some more work done next week.:D

21. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Very cool Eric! Its the little details that make it all work.

22. farmer12

farmer12

Thank you OahuEli. I've just spent most of the day working on the other running board with the hammer and dolly. Got it smooth again and in the correct shape. Will be finishing this one (together with the brackets) next week.:D

23. Bart 56

Bart 56

Hè Eric, It's going to Be à busy week
    For you my friend. THE Parts are arrived.
    Halleluja, all week hamburgers!!!
    Nice Progress on Your car, THE boards are looking good!!

24. Bart 56

Bart 56

Hè Eric, It's going to Be à busy week
    For you my friend. THE Parts are arrived.
    Halleluja, all week hamburgers!!!
    Nice Progress on Your car, THE boards are looking good!!

25. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great work,as usual Eric!

26. farmer12

farmer12

Thanks Bart. Good to hear your parts have arrived, finally. As soon as I get over this cold/flu, I'll be over to give you a hand.:D

Thanks Rock!

27. farmer12

farmer12

Just a quick update for all you regular followers expecting a progress report....I've been sick for the last few days and finally starting to feel a little better! I'll be back in the garage next week tuesday, going at it with the usual dedication!:D:D:D

28. Take it easy and get well soon.

29. farmer12

farmer12

Thank you doctor jones!