Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage 2012 MELTDOWN DRAGS * Vintage Drag Meet * July 21-22

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Von Hartmann, Dec 19, 2011.

1. smautobody

smautobody

i'm with you Gregg. if your breaking stuff put in better parts

2. Saxxon

Saxxon

I'm looking at adding some pro Sportsman bars but really hate to do that as they are not the right look. Have to do something to keep it safe though. I'll be easing into the testing at the start. Hope to have it running banzai style by the Meltdown 2013

3. Saxxon

Saxxon

I'm one of the victims of the well prepared track (and some poor judgement) but I still believe the track should be prepped. I feel for the folks who broke parts but I do not think compromising the track is the solution. I would rather risk broken parts on a 12 or 13 second car than a 8 or 9 second car heading for the gaurdrail or the other lane.

Better parts are pricey and I sympathise with you on that, but an under prepped track is not the answer

My 2 cents

Last edited: Sep 12, 2012
  4. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

The track owners and the Fugatives are not going to run an unsafe event. I broke my car and never even considered complaining that there was to much traction. I like the idea of the old cars leaving the line like the vintage footage shows, but if thats too unsafe I get it. I consider byron my home track and it's been sticky for as long as I have been going there around 1997. The Fugatives will make the best possible decision and I am sure you will be able to run just as hard as last year. I don't think threatening not to come is the answer,and saying your going to take your toys to a different sand box is a little petty. There are better ways to get your point across.

5. Class Reunion

Class Reunion
    from N.E. PA

I was not trying to make threats or be petty, I'm just explaning my position. My ego is not that big that I think anybody gives a shit if I show up or not, and if you think I'm going to kiss some bodys ass for track prep you got a long wait. Maybe some day if I run out of things to do I will practice better ways to get my point across.
    Gregg

6. Even if they layed off on the track prep that weekend it will still hook better than most other tracks across the us. I have been there at the end of the season on a 50 degree rainy day and still seen my buddy twist his axle tubes on his rearend. It dont matter to me either way if they prep or no prep that day just want to let everyone know either way Byron with no prep for a weekend will hook better than Great Lakes Dragway does with prep and they run some really fast cars over there.

7. mjb3707

mjb3707
    from chicago

i agree with you guys better traction better SHOW!!!!!!!!

8. Falfasnightmare

Falfasnightmare

Guys....don't worry. As Jeff mentioned that track is always so sticky without prep it is unbelieveable.....but we do NOT want anything unsafe...and we love some of the fast stuff that showed...keep them coming. Do not worry....you will be able to leave your shoes stuck down on the track.....if you try to run down it!!!
    It will be well prepped as it always is....high stick!!
    Koop

9. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

How is it safer to have a prepped track, with the resulting increase in parts breakage, and possibility of oil/lube being dumped on the track? I would think that the danger of broken parts, spilled oil/lube, and the possibility of sudden direction changes due to said broken parts would be more dangerous, than the loss of traction at the starting line....Especially, when the prepped track results in sky high wheelstands, (as impressive as said wheelstands are).

Can someone explain in detail, just how the track prep affects the safety of the event.

As far as putting in new parts to reduce breakage....My 55 is still running it's original Chevy rear end, which is it's weak link. I have considered swapping in a 57 Pontiac rear axel, (which I already have). However, the entire driveline, (engine, trans, rear axel) have been together since 1973. By changing the rear axel, (or any other part of the driveline), almost 40 years of my car's history will be altered.

10. Most cars that hit the wall are due to a loss of traction, not broken parts. Cars dont get out of shape from hooking up. More often then not traction loss isn't even from one slick to the other causing the car to turn one way or the other.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2012
  11. Junior Stock

Junior Stock

No prep? Go for it,(although this was actually a green track)
    http://youtu.be/DS6modVKgBo
    but then I have a period correct Junior Stocker,that runs 14.0's.

Period correct track support vehichles,and correct appearing cars are great but this is'nt 1966. 8and 9 second cars were Gas dragsters and upper class Competition cars.

Don't want to break part's? As was stated before, buy better parts or do like I do and drive around the water, do a couple of dry hop's, stage it and have fun, oh and be safe out there.

12. Stand on yer hind legs! Don't be scared to break parts! Ya know what I say,put it about 1" past full throttle.then dump the clutch,ride it out,never lift and pull second! Repeat till yer outta gears! Don't be a girlboy! Geeeze! don't prep the track....thats ludicrous!

Attached Files:

13. Bean Dip

Bean Dip
    BANNED

Ditto.
    Complaining about a well prepped track is a new one on me.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2012
  14. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

I've never liked running on tracks that use traction compound. I've always tried to use the wheelspin at the starting line as a "safety valve" in order to reduce parts breakage. Of course, I've always run a Muncie four speed, and never an automatic.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2012
  15. 55chieftain

55chieftain

Nice sticky track for me please. If you guys are worried about braking , put some street tires on. I'm slow anyway I need every advantage I can get.

16. Bean Dip

Bean Dip
    BANNED

Byron unprepped would be better than 90% of the tracks I have run my car on and it's a pretty quick ride. Running a slow car prone to breakage on a good track is a much better idea than running a fast car down a poorly prepared track. You might break an axle, but I might break my neck.

P.s. My car started out as a stick car. Rowing gears ain't no hill for a stepper. Tire slippage can be tuned into a car fairly easily. Pair of cheaters will ensure you never break anything. Just be cheating yourself though.hehehe

Last edited: Sep 16, 2012
  17. Red71

Red71
    from Illi-noise

Several pages of coverage from Byron in Hot Rod Deluxe November issue.

great times, thanks all that made it possible.

18. Zettle Bros.

Zettle Bros.

Who's all pictured in HRD? Haven't seen it yet.

19. Don't feel bad, we are still waiting also.

20. Red71

Red71
    from Illi-noise

first two page spreed is an awe-some shot of the stage area. I dont know
    you guys well enough to put names with cars but I can pick out 8 cars that you guys are on here. dodge boys Dodge, The Scout , High Life falcon,All Hacked up,
    THE green wheel standing 57,Deuce Bag nova,of course the Fiat,Hartmans Henry J,.
    Dam, hope you guys get yours soon,I have already read mine twice now! :)
    and redlineracer
    after you past the 2 page picture there is more a few pages in.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2012
  21. Zettle Bros.

Zettle Bros.

No GTO? Damn!!!!LOL !!!

22. Falfasnightmare

Falfasnightmare

Hey guys....just to re-clarify. The track will be prepped as always.

Please remember the Meltdown is geared to running your car at whatever speed your comfortable. So if you happen to worry about breaking, please run cheaters or streets to give the spin cushion ( I have broken 2 dozen 55 rear ends in my life) I get what your saying. And if your car has been period correct for 30+ years DO NOT CHANGE IT....
    The event is not for serious racers or bracket...it is match racing at its finest and as you can see from the crowd enjoyment, they do love fast cars...but they certianly love JUST SEEING any of this iron that looks period correct on the track. 8 seconds or 17 seconds EVERY CAR is welcome at the Meltdown... Please run at what you feel safe and comfortable at....launch as soft or hard as you want to...and DO NOT worry about the track not being prepped. Worry about finding a perfect match race...to look AWESOME on video or in a photo....that is what 99% of everyone wants to see. No attitudes, No ego's.....just REAL Vintage Racing!!!!

Thank you to all of you just saw the Hot Rod Deluxe....we should all be proud of this event...Hot Rodders for Hot Rodders....no BS.

23. ...great article in the Hot Rod Deluxe!...love that staging lane shot.

24. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

Then leave your car on the trailer.
    Race cars are built to be raced.
    Show cars are built to be shown.
    Decide which one you want, and use your car accordingly.
    If you think swapping in a different rear end is going to destroy your car's heritage, then you have a show car. Drive it on the street to the burger stand once a week, and trailer it to events and display it.

There were cars running solid 9s there. EVERY guy who was standing their car on the rear bumper did it intentionally.

If you're worried about your car's rear end, then granny it out of the hole and hammer it once it's moving.

Or, leave the racing to the racers.

Damn. I don't mean to be a prick, but damn... bitching about your race car being too fragile to run on a well-prepped track?!

The Meltdown Drags was one of the best vintage races I've ever been to... REAL times for the guys who wanted to run them, and a REAL show for the guys who were out there playing and having fun. The crowd loved it.

And from what I can tell, all but two of the racers did too.

-Brad

25. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

Hey Brad.....

If you go back and reread my posts, perhaps you might??? understand that I was looking for an EXPLANATION of how super sticky track preparation affects the safety of a drag racing event for the quick cars. Several posts voiced their support for a well prepped track, (while mentioning safety), which is fine. The reason for this discussion, in the first place was to gauge the amount of support for track preparation. However, only 2 subsequent posts tried to explain the reasoning behind their track prep support.

I was only trying to see the other side of the discussion and was not as you put it, "bitching". From reading your post, it appears that you are the one who is "bitching", and have no interest is seeing any viewpoint other than your own.

The reason for mentioning the relatively insignificant history of my car, was to reply to the following. "If you're breaking stuff, put in better parts". There are a few cars that do have history, (some have alot, some only a small amount) and therefore the owner / caretaker may wish to retain as much of that history as possible. In these cases it is not always an option to "put in better parts". Sure....I could install a 9 inch Ford rear axel and switch to an automatic trans, which would go a long ways to increasing my car's durability. However, it would lose it's tiny bit of history, and would no longer be the same car that I've owned since jr. high school, (April 1977). By the way.....Is not history a BIG part of the Meltdown? If history is not a big part of The Meltdown, it may as well be like any of the so called "nostalgia" drag meets.

Concerning leaving my car on the trailer.....I don't have a trailer. Nor do I have a truck to pull a trailer that I do not own. I drive to the track. I suppose that I could continue to carry in the trunk of my car, a spare rear end center section, axel shafts, jack stands, gear lube, floor jack, and everything else required to change a rear end in the pits, so I can drive home.

As far as you being a prick....Everyone who reads these posts will have their own opinion of that, (and an opinion of myself). You can probably guess what my opinion is.

The Meltdown is one of the most fun events that I have ever attended, (and will continue to attend). There were so many cool and interesting cars there, and I was able to meet many cool, friendly and intelligent people with the same interest in vintage racing. Obviously, you and I did not meet. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Last edited: Oct 7, 2012
  26. Falfasnightmare

Falfasnightmare

I know one way to settle this debate....Brad bring your Wagon Up next year...old school grudge match....

27. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

I know what you're saying.
    Here's what I'm saying: Mothball the parts. I've written for car magazines for 15 years, and have met a ton of guys with rare or historically-significant cars. If they want to drive them or beat on them, they take the original parts (numbers-matching or the original aftermarket parts in the case of a race car), store them, and run "disposable" parts that can get broken without destroying the history.

I know for a fact that a lot of the gassers running in the 9s and 10s were historically significant race cars, including at least one multi-time national event winner from the '60s, while that IH Wheelstander has a serious history from the Pacific North West and appearances in Hot Rod Magazine in the '70s.

Slippery tracks with no-hook are dangerous, for all the reasons mentioned and more. Not to mention it puts on a boring show for the racers and the spectators. People want to see cars hook and move... and judging by the number of drivers that were standing them on-end, I'd say they want that as well.

-Brad

28. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

Working on it.
    I actually need to get it on the track by May 11 for my own event down here in Atlanta!
    Can't put on a vintage race with your own gasser on jackstands in the garage.
    If nothing else, I'll NEVER hear the end of it from my friends!

-Brad

29. Got my copy last week.Kind'a cool see'n my car in the upper left.

30. mmiceli

mmiceli
    from Aurora, Il

Just a thought. What is the difference between vintage racing and REAL vintage racing? Thanks