Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Vintage Bonneville car pictures

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dean Lowe, Aug 16, 2008.

1. That is cool as hell. These guys who pioneered land speed racing are leaving us with regularity now. Whenever one of them speaks, it should be recorded. I have a list of them that I deeply regret are gone and I wish I had recorded the stories and tall tales I heard them telling when I was growing up.

2. drofrockology

drofrockology
    from Reno, NV

an iconic image!

3. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

GOOD OLD HOT ROD MAGAZINE COVER PIC

[​IMG]

4. This is one of the best threads on here. Can we please give it 6 stars!******

5. saltracer2

saltracer2
    from Redding CA

Thanks Dean for starting this site...I stumbled on to it today and scanned through all pages. Of course I knew your dad, but probably last saw you at the 1/2 mile drags in the early sixties.Brings back a lot of memories and I appreciate the history that you have gone deeper into than I could have. I have run at Bonneville since 1957 and missed only two meets 1968-69 when I moved north. We crashed our car in 2009, taking my youngest son, Barry with the car. I continue to go to each meet and have more time to become acquainted with many people I have know for years, but always was threshing with my car. I had a few close friends, but most I just knew of.

6. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

good.

7. saltracer2

saltracer2
    from Redding CA

I am posting my seven "Tom Thumb Specials"...Ak gave me the '27 T...I ran roadsters at Bonneville through 1982.. I got the Pierson Coupe in 1980 and ran through 1991...built the new comp coupe in 1992 and ran last at Speedweek 2009. I got in the 200 MPH Club in the Pierson coupe 10-90, the new car put six family members in the Club. '34 Dodge PU in Corn Festival Parade 8-4-56.jpg

27t.JPG

1948 Ford 1958.jpg

27BR.GIF

1965 Dry Lakes.jpg

Pierson Coupe 1980-91.jpg

216np.jpg

EVL401 and Stogy like this.
  8. Thanks for posting those Mr. Bryant!

9. Great to have you here Tom. I was deeply saddened when Barry lost his life in the crash at Bonneville. I cannot imagine the pain of loosing a son, or daughter. He was doing what he loved, but that dosen't make the loss any easier.

We sure had some good times at the Road Runner meetings at Grigg's muffler shop didn't we!! Even with wadding up the Howard eater at El Mirage in '62, those days were still a great time in my life, and I have many good memories from them.

This is the Tom Thumb Special I remember from El Mirage and Riverside.
    [​IMG]

10. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Mercy! Welcome to the HAMB sir! Wish there was a way to instantly change that FNG tag for folks like you. You, sir, are genuine Old School! Thanks for sharing.

11. Sorry if this has been posted already .........

[​IMG]

12. turk47

turk47
    from arkansas

hello all: I'm new to this board, but have a request along the subject line - I am looking for ANY photos of the 'Salt Shaker', which was my Dad's '29 Ford roadster on '32 rails, built in Long Beach, CA; raced at Muroc, Half-Moon Bay, Salinas as well Bonneville.

Some details...(see attached)...
    ...was cover car HRM January '54.
    ...also featured back page query of September 2010 HR Deluxe with picture of my Mom at Bonneville in '53. included 'scrapbook' article from HRD.

Any help would be greatly appreciated in discovering 'whatever happened to...' - I know the roadster was last with us while in Salinas, sold approximately 1956 or 1957.

Thanks,

Steve

Attached Files:

13. turk47

turk47
    from arkansas

hello to all: seek any pictures, plus 'whatever happened to...' of my dad's roadster, called 'salt shaker', that ran at muroc, bonneville; drags at half moon bay, salinas.

HRM cover car, january 1954; HRD article september 2010 - see enclosed FYI.

was sold while in salinas, ~ 1956, 1957.

any information, insight appreciated. thanks.

Attached Files:

14. sr

sr
    from Monterey

Thanks for the photos. I hope there are more. The reverse chopped 34 coupe 3 window is someplace in Washington. The kugel coupe is still in southern california. One of the bodys of ermies streamliners is in Salinas Ca. and i dont know if there is a chassis or just the body.

15. he guys, love the thread!
    please help me out by looking at my other thread about doug hartelt '34 coupe. im needing as much info as possible. thank you.

16. Gaters

Gaters

Hey Steve,

Just a little help on the body type of you dad's roadster. That is a 26/27 roadster body. Very cool looking roadster. I hope you do locate it but If you don't find it, you should make a reproduction. Good Luck!!

17. 39cent

39cent
    from socal

Just saw this 34 again, was a sharp car, Yes Epling and Deyoung, from Riverside ca. also Garat boys were on this trip I saw the car before they left for Bonneville.

18. fenderless

fenderless
    from Norway

Very cool thread:) Makes me wanna go to Bonneville sooon:)
    Also, in my dreams, make a roadster to run!?.
    Anybody have some picktures of a chassis that will certify today?

Taildragger&fenderless

19. RidgeRunner

RidgeRunner
    from Western MA

Check out Landracing.com if you haven't found it already. Has photo galleries, forums, and links to the various LSR sanctioning organizations. Plenty there to get you started and keep you headed in the right direction.

Ed

20. mtkawboy

mtkawboy

21. Checkerwagon

Checkerwagon

Welcome Tom, glad to see you here. Have known you through the Landspeed mailing list and landracing forum for years. You and your family are an inspiration to me and many others.

All the best,
    Dale
    Cleveland OH

22. RogerAndAlec

RogerAndAlec

Greetings, About the guy in white, identified as Ray Torres in photo "Midnight at Ruby's Drive-In 1950 HS Graduation." Could this be the Torres who met Tony Berardini at the Santa Ana drags later in 1950 and sold a '29 roadster to Tony? Cant be that many guys named Torres associated with a 29 roadster in the area in 1950.
    Love to hear about any connections in this regard.
    rogerandalec [email protected]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 15, 2013
  23. Sandy Haslam on the long Course Bonneville Speed Week 1975.

Attached Files:

24. RogerAndAlec

RogerAndAlec

Carl do your know anymore about this ’29 roadster? I understand, the guy in white is Ray Torres, guy waving his hand is Dan Gurney, guy on right is Skip Hudson. Recently Gurney said the engine belonged to Torres and the roadster to Hudson. And he also said Torres sold the ’29 to Hudson. But others have told me that late in 1950, Torres sold a ’29 to Tony Berardini and it became the famous no. 7 run by the Berardini Bros. from 1950 to 1955. Did Torres have two ’29 roadsters? Anybody, know anything about the roadster?

25. Has anyone any idea of the fellow on the left? My files show him as an unknown. 2nd fellow is Peterson, 3rd and 4th of course Wally and Roy.

Dave in James Dean, IN

26. In regard to my post before this, ???

27. George Klass

George Klass
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

[​IMG]
    Before there were jet cars on the salt in Breedlove's life, there was this blown flathead '34.

jalopykid and Gabe Fernando like this.
  28. Dynoroom

Dynoroom

A few more

Attached Files:

EVL401 likes this.
  29. Gabe Fernando

Gabe Fernando

I used to see it at El Mirage. One of the neatest 34's around.