Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My "You didn't build that" 27 T Roadster build thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by daddio211, Sep 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. daddio211

daddio211

I picked up this cool little T on an A chassis about 2 years ago. It had (long ago) a hot little 4 banger Pinto and a 4 speed, but those were torched out (literally) before I got it.

It's been sitting in the corner of my garage waiting its turn while I collected a few parts. I bought a pair of split bones while on vacation in Missouri a while back, and last year I picked up a '57 283 with Offy intake and 3 deuces, along with a PowerGlide.

Owning a business and having a bunch of kids doesn't make for much time in the garage. I happened to pick up a '55 F100 about 2 years ago, and a good friend of mine REALLY wanted it. This friend has built dozens of rods over the years, and offered to build my '27 in exchange. Wow! What a deal!

Hence, my "You didn't build that" Roadster. Because I'm NOT building it, Bob is!

Everything has been delivered and the work will begin shortly. I'm stoked!

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

2. daddio211

daddio211

Pics

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 6, 2014
  3. birdman42

birdman42

Hey what ever it takes.I am on the other side of that coin.I am trading out work for a pair of nice 55 buicks.

BrandonBerkosky01 likes this.
  4. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Bob and his shop have the "look" about them that makes me think he knows his stuff. Your car seems to be in good hands. He looks like hot rodder to me and he owns enough equipment to do the job.

Does the blue tape on the windshield mean it will be getting a trim ?

Don

Darryl Deir likes this.

5. mika112

mika112

I will follow your project with interest

6. daddio211

daddio211

Thanks fellas. Yes, Bob is a very talented builder and even has a series of DVD's out showing how to build a chassis, all kinds of fabrication ideas, body and paint and more.

In fact, this body will be getting one of his custom contoured chassis, and will eventually be a DVD in his series.

The car will sit relatively low (traditional, not slammed) with split bones, spring behind, an A grill shell with my dropped chrome Ford axle an inch in front of the grill. Rear is a Ford 8".

The windshield will be chopped and curved, but we'll do that when we get the seating finalized. One of my biggest beefs with the Model T is that the occupants look like they're riding ON them instead of IN them. We're going to try to make my 6' 1" ass fit inside the car. :D

I need to thank Salt Flat Matt for the awesome Lakes Headers too! I won a HAMB auction almost a year ago, and ordered his headers specifically for this car. Thanks Matt, AMAZING quality and awesome communication plus customer service!

Last edited: Sep 21, 2023
  7. pennafxu

pennafxu
    from Kentucky

Awesome, Can't wait!!

natedeville likes this.
  8. daddio211

daddio211

Your T sedan is coming along real good man!

9. pennafxu

pennafxu
    from Kentucky

Thanks to you! :p

10. Crookshanks

Crookshanks

Can't wait to see progress brotha.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

olwood likes this.
  11. deto

deto

this looks good... watching

12. junkman8888

junkman8888

Greetings! If you want to sit "in" your "T" instead of "on" it, you might want to look at Dave Thacker's T in the Feb 2004 "Rodder's Digest", he put recessed floors in his car to solve the space problem, good luck with your project.

13. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

14. daddio211

daddio211

It's all you man, I just helped "shape" what was already in your sick little mind!

Thanks dude! We need to talk about signs, Shoebox taillights and hose clamos soon!

It should happen pretty quickly, I think we'll be on the road by November.

That's the plan, but do you have any pictures of the car for inspiration?

Wife's family, LOL. And searching Craiglist for hours while they're having "girl time".

Thank you sir.

Thanks man!

15. stephane-rod

stephane-rod
    from france

:D on se demande bien pourquoi :p

Nice project

16. Will watch this with interest !!! JW :)

17. daddio211

daddio211

I've been collecting photos for a while detailing some of my favorite T's of the era, and some that are newer, but all with styling and fabrication ideas that I'd like to incorporate. Here are a few of those photos, mostly saved from this site.

Keith Weesner's sketch is probably the closest to what I'm aiming for, but ALL of these cars (or their parts) had a lot of influence on the design.

Attached Files:

Lil'Alb likes this.
  18. daddio211

daddio211

Here's a really cool Tupperware T that was for sale on here for a long time. I love just about everything about it...

Attached Files:

brando1956, Lil'Alb and Tater Bug like this.
  19. daddio211

daddio211

And a few more...

Attached Files:

T-roaster likes this.
  20. jonathan

jonathan
    from Phoenix,AZ

Way cool. I'm in the parts collection stage of a 26/27 roadster. Maybe it's because I now have one, but it seems these cars are coming back around again. Seem as though lots if guys building them right now. I like the path you're taking too.

21. daddio211

daddio211

Thanks man. I've never been a big T fan, but this one kind of fell in my lap a while back and the price was right. I figured I'd grab it, get it on the road and sell it for funds for a '32 3 window body.

Now I'm diggin' T's, when I've always been more of an A/32 guy. :D

Last edited: Sep 21, 2023
  22. daddio211

daddio211

Well, after seeing this car today she made up her mind. The T will be semi-gloss black with oxblood wheels, suspension, engine and interior.

I've never been a fan of flat black (or semi - that's our compromise) but what momma wants momma gets. Of course, she sees to it I get what I want too. ;) But the color scheme may change again... like her heels, necklace, earrings...

uploadfromtaptalk1347936490016.jpg

panthershaun likes this.
  23. pennafxu

pennafxu
    from Kentucky

Nice stance. Me likey!

24. daddio211

daddio211

Stopped by to see Bob today. He's well underway with the body pulled and the first cut and bend on the chassis rails.

Attached Files:

25. -Brent-

-Brent-

Hibbs, want to sell those front shocks/links? Or are they staying with the Micky D's frame? :D

26. -Brent-

-Brent-

Oh, and btw, the style you're building toward looks awesome. Going with the same windshield, too?

27. oj

oj

The 26-7 T is a special little car. I had a chance to get a roadster but wasn't smart enough to grab it. I'm doing a modified and have pockets in floor.
    I have to make one more change to them but they get me low enough so i should be able to look thru 6" windshield and have a soft-top on the car.
    Your builder has the right idea, you got to contour the frame rails - i used model 'a'

Attached Files:

28. Tano

Tano
    from Japan

This is my 1926 T.
    From scratch it was built Japan.
    The title of my Hot Rod is "Taisho Era" of Japan.
    1926y of the U.S. is the era name "Taisho 15" in Japan.
    And 1927 is the first year of the name Showa of an era.
    Taishou era was a fascinating age for us.
    So I submitted perfect documents to the DMV here, and got the title of the Taisho Era.
    It is the reason I didn't choose 1927 body.

Attached Files:

29. daddio211

daddio211

Well I was gonna send 'em to you but since you're basically calling me Ronald I'm keeping them! You turd. Nah man, they're going on the new chassis. Stayed tuned, you should see the chassis mostly roughed in real quickly. So far he's logged 4 hours! :eek:

I've never dug the Hallock type windshields much, but they're growing on me. This time around we're just going to chop the stock(ish) windshield and stanchions down, and curve the top of the windshield.

I've been following your build man. In fact, I think I've commented on it too. We'll probably need to do some seat pockets too to get all of me in there. The wife is 5' 5" so we'll probably build the seat to fit me then have the upholstery done with an "insert" to fit her that we can remove. I think I'll call it her phone book, LOL.

Tano, that's a very cool T and a neat story! Thanks for sharing man, I dig your roadster! Building a Ford rod here in the US isn't easy so I really respect you guys doing it in foreign countries! Amazing! :)

30. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Looks good, I was humbled to see you posted a couple pics from my build.

I have progressed a little from those pictures, I now have a multi leaf front spring and went to the more traditional means of holding it in place (U bolts and bottom plate)

I also built my RPU bed and have got a few more goodies including my new Y Block from Tim McMaster. All on my build thread.

Keep us posted, I'll be watching. :)
    Larry.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.