Register now to get rid of these ads!

"other" steering boxes

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 46international, Sep 13, 2012.

1. As some of you know i have been building a Model A sedan, I have been getting the chassie together and it came time to tackle the steering. Well, I bought a 55-57 Chevy truck column and box at Carlisle last spring for $40 complete with pitman arm drag link and wheel. I have been putting it off as I was not too happy with the box (a little large) and was looking for a cheap F1 box to use. Not being able to find a cheap F1 box, I went ahead and shortened the column and made the mount to install the chevy box. Mounts above the frame.

I have to say, it came out very good. and then last night when I got home, on the table was the new Rod&Custom magazine. Guess what? they have an article about "other steering boxes" and suggest the 55-57 chevy truck box. Now I don't feel too bad about my box.

how many others are using "other boxes" and what steering wheels do you use?

2. Land Rover Series 2. The Burman box is ideal - looks period too.

3. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Wehen I read the title and saw you name, i assumed this was going to be about the Gemmers in IH pick-ups...

4. PICS!! It didn't happen without PICS!

5. I'm using a 62 VW bus in my 31 tudor

Lee

6. johnny bondo

johnny bondo
    from illinois

using a 40s dodge 1/2 ton box and column in my T.

7. So, there are other steering boxes than the F1 box! I just could not see spending the cash $100 or more for the F1 box. Any good steering wheels that fit on a Chevy coulmn?

Falcongeorge, I still have the International but it has a Ross box in it.

8. I got an aluminum volvo box on the shelf that I will use eventually. It is small and 4.5 turns lock to lock.

I have a cross steer box from a '62 Chevy (they used the same box from '59-'64 that I know of), my '38 is cross steer from the factory and they are by far the easiest box as well as being way stronger than the original.

I like '56 F-100 boxes better then F-1 boxes. That was what we used when I was a kid and I just gravitate towards them.

Some fellas use Mustang boxes, they are small and stout.

Other fellas that want power steering use late model Toyota power steering boxes.

I think that most GM wheels will fit a Chevy column, so that leaves you with Olds, buick early impala corvette etc. I like cal custom wheels so most of my wheels have an adapter.

I have a pretty cool flat bottomed Chrysler Windsor wheel hanging on the wall, I will use it eventually on something I am just not sure what yet. I haven't found anything but a chrysler column that it will fit, maybe it will fit on a desoto.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2012
  9. -beaner- That's what I thought, most GM wheels may fit but I should be able to "adapt" just about anything to the coulmn. The style of the car is kinda bare-bones type thing so the wheel will have to fit that. I have the stock Model A wheel I may use but I'll keep my eyes open for a sprint car 4 spoke type wheel at Carlisle and Hershey next month.

10. 46int, look at the 150 series wheels from Chevy...I have a '55 150 wheel going in my '46 Chevy PU....only 2 spokes.

11. Both good options.

12. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

toyota truck boxes are used also(power & non power)

13. simon g-s

simon g-s

Found a Ross box on an Allis Chalmers combine, shortened the column and shaft, works a treat.
    Simon.

Attached Files:

14. I have the 55-57 box on my A and love it. I will have to post some pictures of it.

15. I have an aluminum Dodge box...cowl steering in my 27,my 24 Dodge coupe will get the same. I am also setting up a G.M. 525 in a 27 highboy (kinda vega-ish)

16. 26 roadster

26 roadster

where is the LIKE button?

17. I use a ross box outa 50 stude

18. F&J

F&J

Mr. Ross must have been quite busy; one of mine has a Ross cast iron box out of the very early 50s VW bus..51 to early 55 I think

19. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

In the ring betwixt Ross vs. Gemmer, the latter is the favorite.

20. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I'd like to see some pics, I have heard this box is a better box than the F-1.

21. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

22. marioD

marioD

Can you post a pic please!

thanks mate

Mario

23. Some have said they are using a Ross box, like I said before, my International 1/2 ton pick-up has the Ross box. The best I can say about it is that it works, thats about it. It is VERY hard to steer unless the truck is rolling a little. I guess it would be better in a lighter car something with no fenders, and that IHC flat head 6 is heavy.

And yes, I did go through the box, made new sector shaft bushing etc... I even installed a needle bearing at the top of the column. The down fall of the box is that it is not the reculating ball type. One thing you CAN do is make sure you have the correct oil in the box not grease. I had grease in it because the sector shaft leaked the oil out. After I rebuilt the box and added the 90w oil it was lots better.

24. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Anybody else care to comment on the Ross? Similar problems?

25. Falcongeorge, I'm sure Ross has better steering boxes than they put in a lowly international. The model box I have is a Ross twin post/lever I can't remember if it was lever or post, but the sector shaft has two "posts" that index into the worm gear and both of them are engaged in the straight ahead position but as you turn sharper only one becomes engaged, with this action the distance from the center of the sector shaft to the post becomes longer and this makes a "variable" ratio steering. The only thing is, it's just too damn hard to steer! Maybe if I switched to 600X16 tires from the 650's but its not that much of a deal.

26. I'll try to get some photos of the chevy box posted tonight.

27. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Toyota Celicas in the 80s have a box that is a clone of the Ford Falcon/Mustang box and is smaller by about 20% or better.

28. Just a FYI that I have listed before on past threads. The 57-60 Ford pickup boxes are the same as the 53-56 boxes. The pitman arm is different on them only in the drag link end, the 53-56 is a ball style and the 57-60 is tie rod end tapered hole style. The pitman arm for either box has the large pinch bolt at the top and are interchangable. Not many 53-56 in the junkyards anymore, but the less popular 57-60 can still be found. These 53-60 truck steering boxes are all Gemmer as manufacturer.

29. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Thanks. Would it be possible to post a pic of the box in your international as well?

30. If you are using a '50s box you want a sag not a ross. The ross boxes were weak.