Register now to get rid of these ads!

Current photos of modern day "Nostalgia" race cars

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by falcongeorge, Jun 22, 2011.

1. partsrivet

partsrivet

2. partsrivet

partsrivet

More top fuel? 2005[​IMG]

3. partsrivet

partsrivet

Cool stuff from the shade. 2005[​IMG]

4. partsrivet

partsrivet

Black Magic and Rollin Stone 2005[​IMG]

5. partsrivet

partsrivet

62 Chevy and 64 Plymouth 2005[​IMG]

6. matt Delio

matt Delio

tom s. in tenn.
    that 631/2 galaxie had a 406ci for power, runs pretty good too! If you care to remember "back in the day" at many of the local tracks, you were liable to run in ANY class- depending on the "tech inspector". That particular car (if it had any fiberglass- would run s/s- m/p- gas- or any no. of classes. Don't forget rules were meant to be broken! later, matt.

7. micky69

micky69
    from Ohio

Mine at Norwalk

Attached Files:

8. This is my Senior Dragster as I call it. I updated the body to give it more of a traditional look. I race it now almost exclusively now at Picton Airfield Armdrop Drag Races. (Spelled FUN!)
    It is powered by a slant six , now 246 cubes .
    I have had more fun with this car then any car I have ever owned.
    Don

Attached Files:

9. partsrivet

partsrivet

[​IMG]63 Galaxie and 65 Chevelle during stock eliminations. BG 2005

Last edited: Sep 13, 2012
  10. partsrivet

partsrivet

These burnouts are a nice reminder of the dump-the-clutch days. Since I'd been away from racing for many years, the reverse moves caught me by surprise. [​IMG]

11. partsrivet

partsrivet

A scene I never tire of. BG 2005[​IMG]

12. partsrivet

partsrivet

Diggers at sunset. BG 2005[​IMG]

13. partsrivet

partsrivet

Ferdinand and Rat Now BG 2009. I love this stuff! [​IMG]

14. partsrivet

partsrivet

Pandamonium 2009[​IMG]

15. Tom S. in Tn.

Tom S. in Tn.

Nice car and one to be proud of to. The photo brings back many memories when these and their counterparts filled the staging lanes. Thanx; Tom S.

16. trbomax

trbomax

Not a restoration or tribute car,this is the real deal! My 62 pontiac lightwieght super duty from 1962. Only 47 of these made.This one had the lightwieght frame and body,aluminum front end and bumpers,421 +0.060. Pics are not so good ,I had to scan old photos.

Attached Files:

17. Lightweight frame???

Production numbers were 178. 162 Catalinas and a reported 16 Grand Prix's with a total production of 225 Super Duty engines. The "extra" engines were service replacements.

18. trbomax

trbomax

The 62 frame had the inner boxed section omitted. It was not hole sawed like the 63.I had one of the extra motors,still have some of it! There was a station wagon too.I bought my "hardtop" car new.An engineer from milford delivered it to me.The "47" Ireferred to is cars built with the same options as mine.

The production #'s I have are;

1-24 catalina 2 dr post sedans (362p)
    25-162 catalina 2 dr "hardtop" (362p)
    163-178 grand prix 2 dr spt cpe (962p)

There were 18 SD motors released for raceing in aug 61 (to be put in catalina's)

There were 10pair of front and rear al bumpers (61)

The safari (wagon) info came from the guy that got me my car. He worked at GM Milford in the early 60's. The cars were stamped on production dies,then the panels were acid reduced before being assembled without sealants. All of this work was done on weekends.

19. Blacktop Graffiti

Blacktop Graffiti

20. Dads426

Dads426
    from Olney, MD

Beaver Spings 2012:
    [​IMG]

21. rfraze

rfraze

BRIAN STAIRS, Placentia, CA, the Jim Morrison of nostalgia drag racing, was a regular at western NDRA and ANRA events. This car even made it to The World Gasser Championships in Denver. "I believe" it to be the 3rd quickest blown gas car in history. Input accepted. This "Timz" body, with Willys rear fenders, was built by Dave Giordano (now at Rods West with Don Waldron). It followed Stairs' very "popular" blown SBC Anglia which "floundered" at Phoenix. After fixing a bent rear housing, which made the car wander at speed and stepping up to a "hemi kit" from Honest Charlie, The Beatnik clicked an 8.15 at Bakersfield. Death smoke was visible in the lights, the car was parked, and sold to a racer in S. Carolina or thereabouts, to compete in some nostalgia gas series there. I have seen a similar car from outside the country, but do not know if it is the same one.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2012
  22. rfraze

rfraze

The 2nd quickest blown gas car in nostalgia drag racing history was owned by GARY and HARRIET FORE, Chino, CA, at the time. Times of 8.15 and 8.14 were recorded at Goodguys Pomona gasser race. I think the 14 was Burch (below) driving with his arm across his chest in high gear. {Great story} This car was built by Mike Ruth and the crew at Pro Chassis. Another Dave Giordano body, this one got got cut a LOT, to end up as pictured. A KB made the music after Gary lobbied to run aluminum blocks in A/GS (game changer). An air-shifted B&J handed the power to a modular Mark Williams rear end. Appropriate(SWC)blue color was applied at Leonard Woods' (the W on SWC cars) Chino Hills Ford, drying on the way to Denver to back up a challenge to all blown gas cars. This chromoly "high safety" cadillac replaced Gary's black beauty which met it's demise on the unprepared surface at the first Hot Rod Reunion, where officials would not even put the car's name on his credentials. Gary WOULD NOT change over to alcohol and run AA/S, and as the smaller nostalgia organizations were choked down, this car was a test bed for many things blown gas, even a 14-71. The car was sold to Bill and Beth Burch, Gary's crew chief, run in A/G, meeting it's demise and all the highlight reels at Bakersfield. The Foreplay name proved to be true as Gary and Harriet built a jet Mustang Funny Car and moved to Missouri. It was to be named Heated Foreplay, but that would be even harder to sell, so check out the web site supercobrajetjfc.
    IMG_0012.jpg IMG_0013.jpg IMG_0014.jpg

Last edited: May 7, 2015
    EVL401 likes this.
  23. rfraze

rfraze

THE QUICKEST BLOWN GAS CAR in nostalgia racing history (probably history period) was the beautifully prepared '41 Willys coupe of RON NUNES, Livermore, CA. I video taped two passes at Sears Point in '95 resulting in a 7.73 and a 7.77. At that time, blown gas, naturally aspirated gas or alcohol, and blown alcohol ran together in A/Gas Eliminator at Goodguys west coast events. An extra half pound per cubic inch (totalling 5.5) was put on the blown alcohol cars for "parity". Even though he owned the quickest blown gas car on the planet (input accepted), in an attempt to be competetive, Nunes was experimenting with running billet heads w/no water, on gas. On the second run, near the finish line, a blower explosion nearly blew the front end off the car, causing the hood to dart across the track and nail a beautiful '57 driven by one Rick Finch. Intake temp was reported to be above 440 degrees. See WCDs posts - drag cars in motion thread p.1439 #28764 and p.1504 #30062. When I find my notes on the specifics of this car, I will edit this post. The writing was on the wall and after the Pleasanton gasser meeting, where there was supposed to be a vote on gassers running gas that was sidestepped, he built an equally beautiful blown alcohol '63 Corvette which I will talk about later.
    IMG_0019.jpg Ron Nunes Willys.jpg 41willys%20(2).JPG

EVL401 likes this.
  24. rfraze

rfraze

Here is RICK FINCH's '57 Belair, powered by an injected BBC. Prepared at Finch's body shop, this car was too beautiful, and quick, to be a dart board for a flying Willys hood. (See previous story) Ione ,CA racer was seen mostly at Goodguys VRA in A/Gas Eliminator.
    IMG_0023.jpg

25. WCD

WCD

Reminds me of the Gunter Bros car.

26. WCD

WCD

Hmmmmm......8/11 Bakersfield. Shows you SK that day!

27. WCD

WCD

Good Question. Was it ever answered?

28. rfraze

rfraze

Another SERIOUS blown gas car belonged to HOWARD and DAN ANDERSON of Applegate, CA. 8.32 is what my memory comes up with, as this car's best. Input accepted. I think this one ran a trick 354 hemi. It was quite a nice car with distinctive purple anodized aluminum everywhere. It even looked beautiful on it's side at Sacramento on James Elzingre's It's a Gas video. This car competed everywhere. A leaking freeze plug and steam under the right rear caused it's demise at a later Sears Point event. Check scoreboard: Car may have been crashed on 2nd quickest run in history of blown gas! The Anderson brothers built a multi-championship 38 Chev to follow up.
    IMG_0024.jpg IMG_0003.jpg IMG.jpg

EVL401 likes this.
  29. rfraze

rfraze

I am getting a little out of order here, but am following up with a post on 33-36 Willys thread. Bill Fitting's, Nevada City, CA, blown gas 2 Door sedan was shot at '93 Pleasanton Willys Roundup. Second and third shots ANRA Bakersfield. This beautiful Bill's Blue 33 may have been built for a Goodguys Baddest Street Rod class. (Inspired by Moreland's 40 sedan and Fat Jack's 47 Ford) It was plenty BAD and beautiful and, sadly, drove over its own fluids and got wadded up later that year. No clue why I can't get the track shot (new car on a license pass at Sears Point '92 just before the tires started rubbing at speed) to upload.
    IMG_0007.jpg IMG.jpg IMG_0004.jpg

Attached Files:

EVL401 and 38 2 DR Sedan like this.
  30. edweird

edweird

my studebomb.

Attached Files: