Register now to get rid of these ads!

Rotator for engine stand

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by roseville carl, Sep 12, 2012.

1. Did this a while back......
    [​IMG]

Material 1000 lb hand winch HF on sale 14.00, old chev timing chain and gears free, Alum stock 3.50 lb about 7 bucks worth, old cam slug free, and a days worth of my time, not worth much.......

first remove outer cable drum
    [​IMG]

drill out cam bearing to fit od of winch shaft and id of cam gear

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Braise together
    [​IMG]

Cut inside and outside of coupling to match existing stand shaft
    cam gear bolts to alum slug
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Drill new pin hole and pin to shaft
    [​IMG]

assemble winch and gears and attach to stand with secure mounting points use at least 1/4" material

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and wa la you have a cheap rotater for your engine stand
    that will lock in either direction

[​IMG]
    <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->__________________
    "Keep Em Between the Whites"........

270ci and Okicombo like this.
  2. That's sweet. Nice work

3. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I really like it but was wondering what the winch is necessary for? To provide a ratchet action? yeah now I see.

4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yep a serious gear reduction so you can turn the engine over with one hand instead of straining a gut doing it. The locking device is a + too.

The last time I turned a V8 over by hand in the garage I just about dumped the engine and stand over and it had 4 wheels.

5. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I like ie. I'm going to do it. Thanks Carl

6. olds vroom

olds vroom

Nice job I love seeing other peoples ingenuity .

7. Erkenbrand

Erkenbrand
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Rochester NY HAMBers

That's awesome.

8. flthd31

flthd31

That's a great idea. Wish I had seen this last winter when I was bustin a nut flippin a flathead mounted from the exhaust ports like your pic shows.

9. tjm73

tjm73

Cool. I had a similar idea but with an electric motor to turn the engine. Never went beyond the sketch on scrap paper phase though.

10. metalman

metalman

Great idea. Seeing as how engines have seemed to gotten heavier then when I was young guy I was eyeballing a commercially made rotating stand the other day, this is a lot cheaper!
    Seeing as how I sometimes have 2/3 different engines on different stands I wonder if it couldn't be made with pull pins so you could move it from one stand to the next.

11. Just what I need.
    I nearly dumped my 270 GMC on the floor the other day.

12. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Great idea. When you are flipping an engine over there is always that one spot where the engine takes off like mad. It gets a little scarey at that moment because you wonder if the engine is going to end up on the floor.

I may have to build one of those.

Don

13. bowtiemyk

bowtiemyk

I'm going to make one for my "Flippin Stand" I made for an earlier tech week.Great idea.

14. 1950heavymetal

1950heavymetal

Great idea and use of more harbor freight products. That store is awesome.

15. CDXXVII

CDXXVII
    from Vermont

Any ideas on a home built engine tilter? The HF tilter has quite a bit of drag when operating.

16. My cheap ass tilter is only good for an ornament...

17. leon renaud

leon renaud
    from N.E. Ct.

I have a 1950s Mechanix Illustrated "Do it Yourself" Encyclopedia set that has several engine stands taken from the magazine one uses a flywheel and ring gear with a starter gear mounted on the crank handle to turn the engine over.They also built a stand using 2 banjo ends welded together for the top of the stand with the shaft going through the bearing ends,Of course they say the bell tubes now make perfect jack stands!I wish I had a way to share these designs but can't scan stuff yet.If you ever see these old Encyclopedia sets in yard sales or used book sales they usually don't bring much more than 10-15$ for the set and there are a great many items in there we can still use today!

18. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

Great idea, thanks for sharing.

19. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Nice team work. Chevy helping a Ford roll along ;). No, really that's awesome.

20. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

I'm curious about one thing (and it's the thing that's kept me from doing this before): When the engine is rotating, the clicker/reverse lever stops it from going backwards as you're approaching it's tipping point.
    Once you hit the tipping point, and it goes over-center, what keeps it from "running away"? I envision a situation where you're cranking, and then it starts to go and yanks the crank out of your hands as the engine rolls over the rest of the way.

-Brad

21. with the gear reduction Brad you don't even notice it and have plenty of control. plus this will lock in either direction.........

but you do have to mount it to the frame securley with braces to the frame so the winch will not lift and allow the chain to slacken

and yes I finally found something good for chevy parts

22. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

23. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Hang an old Chrysler "horses winnee" reduction gear starter. That should work great.

24. Nice job Carl! Now that I have a lathe at my house I may just make one. ;)

25. Easy to do Tim.....

26. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Believing that intimation is the most sincerer form of flattery. Carl you should feel flattered. I made this with what i had laying around except i had to buy the winch. i got a US made one so it cost a little more. looks like a chain is a better deal. The stand head can flop around and the belt teeth don't stay engaged unless I squeeze the belt a little. maybe I'll put on a spring loaded tensioner.

Attached Files:

gas pumper and Okicombo like this.
  27. c-10 simplex

c-10 simplex

This is damn interesting.

Can i ask why braze the gears to the shaft vs. actual welding?