Register now to get rid of these ads!

What grit of sanding disk do I use to strip the paint on my car?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by xhotrodder, Sep 11, 2012.

1. DD COOPMAN

DD COOPMAN

If ya have any "feel" for a DA, 80 works fine. I've used 80 and can easily control to strip one coat at a time, if wanted. And, MOST of my strip jobs have been on FIBERGLASS Corvettes...much softer than metal. Use 80! DD

2. i use the stripping pads in the tool dept. at lowes. 9.99 each, fits a 3 " grinder, took 4 of them to strip my f-1 to where it was shiney. then coated it with osphoe, let it set overnite, wiped off the dry residue and put three coats of slick sand high build primer.

3. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

Ya doin this in your home shop? Got little jeeters about, or Momma walkin thru your shop? If yes is the answer to any of the above, then ain't no way I'd disc sand an old automotive finish off a job! Chemmie stripper is faster, will save your compressor/electric grinder, and produces little dust to clean up/ inhale:(

Most of the ''heavy metals'' in automotive paint, ya know the ones that made it last for decades?:D wind up in places like your lungs , liver, kidneys or your gut, if not your's your kids/family members.

" Humpty Dumpty was pushed "

4. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

Stripping pads all the way for me! This is my 60 chev totally cleaned up with them. Gary:D:D

Attached Files:

5. outlawsteel

outlawsteel

This is the way to go. 80 grit wont remove quickly. But if you are scared of getting into the metal then slap on some 80 and go to work.:D

6. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

about 5 of these to do whole car

Attached Files:

norms30a likes this.
  7. It depends on how many layers you're dealing with, but if you're stripping it I'm assuming that there are several.

I use 40 grit on a DA until I just start to see the grit cutting into the metal. Then I go to an 80 grit to finish it off. The 80 grit will leave the metal with a good bite for any primer and/or sealer.

8. xhotrodder

xhotrodder

Last edited: Sep 12, 2012
  9. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

I vote for 180 and yes it takes more work but you also get a much better surface to work with.

Just my opinion Jimbo

10. big creep

big creep

this is the way to do it, its how i did it!

11. anyone any updates too ad to this thread? i'm doing a pedal car for my granddaughter. thanks.

12. Something the size of a pedal car I think I would use a liquid paint stripper or better yet put the body in a bead blasting cabinet. HRP

13. indyjps

indyjps

Once you get it down, use ospho or similar to kill the surface rust that the car has acquired.

Heat gun and a razor blade work surprising well to knock down the first layer. Pair that with stripper, brake fluid and it moves pretty quickly.

I like the variable speed buffer idea or an electric orbital sander, unless you have a big compressor, DA'ING and entire car will be frustrating. It will likely kill a "big box store" air compressor.

Dont hesitate to use different plans for different panels. Its a crappy job any way you go about it.

14. Been very successful with the "rice cake" stripping wheels in a 4 1/2" angle grinder.

15. bonzo-1

bonzo-1

16. Ralphies54

Ralphies54

Forget sanding it'll kill you. Stripped dozens of cars with Aircraft stripper and single edge razor blades in a holder,1 coat of stripper and hold the blade at a angle and paint peels off like crazy. No muss, No fuss, let it drop onto newspaper roll it up and toss it , finish up with stripper and steel wool im those hard to get at places. Ralphie

GordonC and j-jock like this.
  17. Phil1934

Phil1934

I did a truck with cup wire brushes on a 7" grinder. Just wear eye protection as it throws wires.

18. I stripped both vehicles in my avatar in a weekend using the stipping disks , found using the ones on a drill, lasted longer
    and left the metal nicer, than the ones made for the grinder

19. TrevO

TrevO
    from AZ

Hey Hooligan, which model polisher/sander do you use from harbor freight? Also, does it heat up the metal much and what grit are you using on the velcro pad to strip paint with? I am stripping paint now and it is taking forever using a d/a and 80 because my d/a needs more air than my compressor can supply. Thanks.

20. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

I was recently introduced to a 8 inch mud hog sander and I think I would really like it for covering some territory with it,given the chance.

21. Toymont

Toymont
    from Montana

I agree, the sandblaster disks on a 4 inch angle grinder work like a charm. I did the cab on my Stude truck.

22. Montrose818

Montrose818

hello. I am a lurker. I bought a 3m clean strip disc (5", hook and loop, 2500rpm max) and a GV-5010 sander, based on this suggestion.

My question is though, how do I use the disc with that sander? It seems to only take 5" sandpaper with a small hole. The clean strip disc shows it to use with a drill.

I know its an old post, but hopefully someone can chime in.

Thank you folks.

23. metlmunchr

metlmunchr

You need a hook and loop pad for your sander to replace the plastic backing disc that's on it now.

24. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

Yes the larger the number the finer paper.

25. Ralphies54 likes this.