Register now to get rid of these ads!

What's the Most Absurd Claim you've heard at a Car Show, Drag Race, Cruise Night, etc

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DaveyJonez, Mar 5, 2009.

1. deadgearhead

deadgearhead
    from Washington

Are you sure you didn't just momentarily misplace your sense of humor?

2. Mac_55

Mac_55

Fella telling me about his sons 69 camaro . 4spd small block car on 8 inch radials. typical cruiser muscle car.
    " that thing is fast! we kept doing wheelies in it when we left the stop light"

3. 54sled

54sled

A guy told me at a show that he had the motor built up so much he couldnt shut the hood!

4. Cortney

Cortney

Been told a few times that my 62 Merc (avatar) was a nice T-Bird. I never correct them.

5. mike1951

mike1951
    from Colorado

The Buick is attracting idiots again...

So I get to work and I got the hood up tweaking the carb.
    This lady pulls up and says is it broken? Mind you the car is running...
    "Nope, just adjusting the carb.."
    She smirks and says, "I'll bet you carry bailing wire with you..."
    "Nope just tools."
    Then she says, "You don't follow my joke"
    "Yes I do, it's just lame."

6. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

I do know a guy who won't drive his cars because they are such low miles. Every spring I get on his case about taking atleast one of them out.

wait, I just caught the '66 Camaro part. haha

7. Deuces

Deuces

It probably has a 1966 build date... Early '67 Camaro..

8. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Actually the guy was right.."5 bolt mains" was a term used to describe a block that had 4 bolts on all 5 main bearings; not just center 3....

9. i have a 1960 buick invicta wagon, and still a little ptsd, mostly a ornery old prick by the time i get to a car show

i get everyone coming up exclaiming what a nice ambulance, hearse:eek: and insisting on thats what it is
    i try to maintain without getting too nasty
    usually after a few words i tell them it was not made by buick,
    that the car was assembled by a contractor "ionia" mfg built it along with
    Lincoln continental bodies production # around 3,000 for 6 pasenger
    that usually confuses them enough so they leave:confused:

10. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

tell him to send me one, all three of mine died within days of each other, and of course no parts are made, expensive scrap metal, time for the scissor jack until I can buy a new one, people who buy tools and don't use them don't deserve them anyway,whats the point? unless you are collecting vintage tools and don't want to mess them up

11. mike1951

mike1951
    from Colorado

I hear you. I have to borrow lots of stuff to do what I need.

12. Country Gent

Country Gent
    BANNED

The thread before this one!!!

13. Sphynx

Sphynx
    from Central Fl

Your right but I ordered a cam from crane that has 3/4 stamped in the end. Oh and its for a SBC. If it wasnt together I would post a pick.

14. afaulk

afaulk

I got challenged to race a trashed 280z that the kid claimed would run "over 200 easy". Hell, I said " I probably wouldn't stand a chance against you. I'll just have a beer and watch!

15. mopar92

mopar92

Anytime I hear a Chevy purist talking about his steel head 350 making 600 HP...... not picking on Chevy's I seem to hear it more from the Bowtie boys. Mopar guys( I favor Mopars) talking about their 440 Hemi's and 413 Hemi's.

One saying I always thought was uber lame " I would put a $100 bill on the dash and nobody could ever grab it". Well, we did a myth busters of this. On a test and tune, we have video of a 16 year old kid grabbing a taped $100 bill of an 8.90 second car. I seriously doubt anybody's 57 Chevy that was their high school driver ever did 8 seconds.

16. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

We have a WINNER!

17. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

"I had the heads boreded"

18. Irishman

Irishman

When I first got my license, all the kids had Vauxhall SR Novas (not to be confused with the American car).
    I'd see them tearing around town with their 6 inch mufflers hanging out the back.

Every single one of those knobs would proudly boast "I can get 'er up to 60 in 2nd gear no problem!".

I could never figure out the reasoning behind that.

19. Mac_55

Mac_55

Went to a little car show this weekend because it was only a few miles from my house . Small show , maybe 30 cars.

Anyways here is a clean t bucket and across the windshield it says " Real hot rods were built before 1948" ............... This was on a fiberglass bodied t bucket. Ohhhhh the irony

20. mike1951

mike1951
    from Colorado

Maybe he wanted you to know that he didn't have a real hotrod?

21. exactly!

22. PossumJR.

PossumJR.
    from Walls,MS

Built a 72' a few years back,Done it up all 70s superstocker. Panel paint name on the door,injectors through the hood the whole deal. Anyway sold the car on E bay to a guy in new york,saw it back on there about a year later and the guy had in his discription and i quote " Real life 70s drag car , I have owned this car for 30 years. It has a $20,000 house of kolor paint job thats about 5 years old and a big bad stroker motor" .......Now of course he didnt own it for 30 years he has just got it from me and i put the paint job on it and it wasnt house of kolor and it sure didnt cost $20,000....o and it had a mild 327 NOT a stroker motor.I lit his e mail box up. People are just stupid.

23. Willy301

Willy301

Maybe this isn't fair, because I work tech lines for a speed shop, but a young man called me the other day and told me he had a 2700 (twenty seven hundred) horsepower SBC...It was twin turbo and it was his street car....

24. radgirl

radgirl

" My car does 10 Seconds" um yup Ive Dyno'd more than my fair share and only managed a few with the rear wheel horsepower to even come close -.- and we built the last one at a cost of well of 100K. Always make me laugh especially when you offer to put it on the Dyno for them for nothing.............always excuses as to why they cant make it ;)

25. deto

deto

I always hear about the cousin who had a Chevelle that did wheelies on the street...

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

26. Dave Galassi

Dave Galassi

"It's all original."

27. deto

deto

I always hear about the cousin who had a Chevelle that did wheelies on the street...

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

28. hotrod--willys

hotrod--willys

I restored a 1926 Model T and was parked at a store when an old coupl came by and the old lady said, look dad there making these damnable car again.

29. Hey, wait a minute, Buddy. That's my cuzin yer talkin' 'bout rite thar... :eek: Only it's a Merc thar talkin' 'bout... :D

Last edited: Sep 24, 2012
  30. slowmotion

slowmotion

More than a few times: (checking out a 69Z I've owned for 35+yrs)

"Whatcha got in it?"

-"302"

"Why a Ford motor?"

-"uhh...

"Those came from the factory with 427s"

-"uhh-huh...."

"Nice car anyways"

-"thanks.."

Lotta experts, I've learned much..:D

Last edited: Sep 24, 2012