Register now to get rid of these ads!

Just had my eyeball drilled

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Flathead Johnny, Sep 11, 2012.

1. Flathead Johnny

Flathead Johnny
    from MA

I just had a piece of metal removed from my eye and the rust drilled out. Happened yesterday and woke up this morning still in pain. Heres the kicker I DID have safety goggles on. The only way a piece of metal could hit my eye is if it entered through the vent holes and bounced off the front glass and into my eye. Here to trying to doing everything right and getting a drill to your eye! :eek: Thinking what I could have done more is a face shied with the googles or maybe googles without vent holes. Moving forward I will be using both and I recommend other consider this also. Just a FYI to avoid a trip to the doctors. Its not super fun, I now officially have blood, sweat and tears (doctor made) into my 56 F100

2. You dont have a dremel, a mirror and a flashlight? :rolleyes:

3. 34toddster

34toddster
    from Missouri

That's odd I just returned from the eye Doc for the same thing, I swear I'm going to buy some MC goggles that cover my whole damn eye, any suggestion out there on what to buy?

4. Model T1

Model T1

Shit you guys are lucky. July 1st last year, I poked myself in the right eye with a 30' tree branch. Two different lenses, new cornea, laser crap, and still may need another cornea to see right. I didn't even get to do it messing with an old car! Crap happens no matter how careful we are. :mad:

5. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

We were surprised to feel shavings hitting us under our goggles and when we checked we found they were sneaking under the lower edge where the goggles are supposed to fit tight against your cheek. Evidently, those $4 ones from Home Depot don't seal real well there. We buy the ones with no vent holes just for that reason, but now it seems the metal can still find it's way inside.

I have considered looking for better goggles but we go through them so fast due to scratches that more expensive ones would be too expensive longterm. But probably cheaper than going to the emergency room, which I have done several times in my life. :eek:

Don

6. Flathead Johnny

Flathead Johnny
    from MA

I do...but i'm dyslexic i'd probably find a way to drill the wrong eye

I'm on amazon right now, dewalt has a nice pair for $11-13 depending if you want clear or tinted, I think i will go with those, i'm ditching my cheap $8 muti 5 pack googles

you made me feel better :)

7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've been there and done that and have the scars on my eyes to prove it. Ever wonder why Eye surgeons always seem to have the biggest hands and fingers around?

on the face shields. The local welding supply you go to should have the pieces to put together a full face shield that will cover your whole face down below your chin for about 25.00 and maybe less. They also have tinted lenses for them for cutting or gas welding. I keep mine hung on the oxygen bottle on the torch set so I always know where to reach for it.

8. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Ah, the drilling ain't nothin'. The hard part is when they tap the hole (usually #6-36) for the stainless allen set screw to plug it up!
    Didn't they tell you that's what the followup visit next week is for?

My least favorite machinery moment: I was cleaning an incredibly filthy, rusty part on the wire wheel, standing in a shower of crud. I stuck my tongue out for a second and OWOWOWOW! I could not pull my tongue back into my mouth!
    I staggerd upstairs seeking a mirror...and found a steel bristle from the wire brush through my tongue like a cotter pin.
    Fixed it myself, natch. Betcha I have a little rust and crud colored tattoo on the underside of my tongue...

9. "T'RANTULA"

"T'RANTULA"
    from Ohio

I use the old round oxy/fuel goggles for grinding and such, just take the dark lenses out and make your own. I bought a pair of z87 safety goggles with a flat lens and used em to make my lenses. Some will disagree with this but it works for me.

10. Salty

Salty
    from Florida

I have found that the metal chips get in your hair.....when you take your goggles off all that shit drops down your face....I have gotten the ol Drexel in the eye twice cause of that (and got chastised for not wearing eye protection even though I was)

Now before I take my eye protection off I blow my head off with the air gun.

11. Ouch, those are the kind of injuries that i fear worst. I am recovering now from a second degree burn on the section of my hand just below the thumb. It's healing fast and it does'nt really hurt, but it still sucks. Nowhere near getting your eyeball drilled into though. I don't know what's worse the injury itself or the treatment.

12. Stop by your local Fastenal store. I believe I saw some in our store last month.

13. Model T1

Model T1

I poked myself in the right eye with a 30' tree branch.
    Sure glad I made you feel better. Didn't help me a bit. Gotta go back Monday to figure out what they are gonna do.
    On the plus side I sure know a lot about eyes now! And several eye surgeons now drive newer Mercedes, went on two cruises, and bought their wives jewelry. :).
    On the negative side we now have five acres of dead branches that I ain't touchin!

14. Jkustom

Jkustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

a few years ago when I was putting the 9" in my 54 in my avatar, I was wire wheeling the rear end getting it ready to paint, I WAS wearing safety glasses, as I always do.. Anyway, I was going at it and I felt something hit me right in the eye. HARD. I couldn't open either eye for about 30 mins and had to "feel" my way over to my bench to lean on until I could open my eye enough to get upstairs to the bathroom mirror..

Long story short, I couldn't see anything wrong with either of my eyes so I went back to work after they stopped watering.. The next day I woke up and my right eye was sore, I went and looked in the mirror, and sticking out of my eye right by the tear duct was a wire from the wire wheel, sticking out about 3/8". I pulled it out with tweezers, the thing was about an inch long in total. I got very lucky.

15. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

Eye eye captain... I am glad all is ok now

16. Flathead Johnny

Flathead Johnny
    from MA

thats probably how it got in then, I'm going to try the dewalt, I have pretty good insurance but I was shocked how much the anti-biotic eye drops where I went to the optometrist which will required one more visit tomorrow and each visit has a co-pay of $25 bucks, so I'm $50 in for the doctor and $98 in for the eye drops lol. Its a high tier medicine and brand name so I only get a 25% discount. This piece of metal is costing me $148...I'm gladly paying for nicer google to avoid the unpleasantness and the stupid eye drops. Its a super small bottle maybe holds at most 50 drop which I only need a total of six drops of the next two days.

17. SquireDon

SquireDon
    from Oregon

Absolutely right. That stuff gets in your hair, and drops right into your eyes after you take your goggles off. I had grit in my eye, which is harder to find because it doesn't rust, which is how they find metal in the whites of your eye. I also now use the air gun to blow my hair and face of before taking the goggles off.

18. prpmmp

prpmmp

19. Flathead Johnny

Flathead Johnny
    from MA

again now making me feel better about what I paid lol, I hope everything works out for you! I could not imagine what that felt like

21. Model T1

Model T1

About the tree branch in the face, I wasn't wearing goggles or glasses. Doctors said it probably would have been worse. Picture jousting and getting jousted ! Dam that tickled! I looked pretty for a month. Didn't even know the lens got knocked into the back of the eyeball.
    But about the eye drops. Started using five different tiny bottles. Now down to two little bottles four times a day. This since Aug last year! As said, even with insurance this stuff ain't cheap. A split second just moving tree branches !

22. Model T1

Model T1

I don't know about that. I've heard what kind of people usually get their tongue pierced ! True or false I wouldn't wanna have people thinkin kinky things.

23. bigbstang1969

bigbstang1969

That made me want to throw up.

24. Flathead Johnny

Flathead Johnny
    from MA

here a funny thing with my doctor today. I never had this done so I had no idea it would involve a drill. I saw a blue device that looked like a metal push pull solder sucker with what looked like a long needle. My vision is semi blurry from all the different drops she has put into my eyes so I think its a needle. "Hey doc is that a needle? No. Than what is it? I will tell you after." I figured it was either a device to blow air into my eye or it was a needle and she was trying to avoid the whole fear of needle thing which a dont have. So after a couple of second of hearing a dentist drill noise I exhale while she is still drilling away and said in a lower calm oh crap voice. "Its a drill isn't it" she said "sorry it is" To my surprise I was right lol

25. Model T1

Model T1

The human eyeball is an amazing thing. Did you know that a hard enough hit to the eye will cause the socket to shatter like a shock absorber to protect the eyeball? Did ya know the lens fits in sort of a pouch like a pillow case which will break open and let the lens fall inside the eyeball. Did ya know that laser surgery on the cornea can sometimes feel like a million 6" needles jabbing you in the eye?
    Did ya know an average man can keep from peeing his pants during all this?
    Damned I hope this is makin some of you feel better!

Me too Johnny, my first surgeon who did most of the work up till the cormea stuff is a female. Looks to be about 15 years old and flat chested. Found out she's in her 40's! Now I have a guy from a far away land who is also young but very good. He's always smilin. I smile too when people give me money! As you probably know now, eye surgeons are like auto techs, a different one for every part of the eye. Amazing what a fella can see with one eye!

Last edited: Sep 11, 2012
  26. Sir Woosh

Sir Woosh

Kinda freaky when it comes to the eyes. Had a piece of grit get in my eye and it was scratching the inside of my eye lid. July 4th weekend and no way to get it looked at from Friday till Monday. But then it wasn't feeling so bad, so I wasn't going to go in. But I was pushed and good I did.

Grit imbedded in the eye and skinned over. They had to peal that off and drill out the grit that had started to rust. I had to hold my own eye open with my own hands while they worked on it with a dremel looking thing.

No fun, but all came out OK...........Wish everyone else the same good fortune............

27. RatPin

RatPin

Ouch! A week ago I was using aircraft paint stripper to strip a fender using a wire wheel on a high speed drill. A particle bounced off my cheek up under my safety glasses into my left eye and left a nice chemical burn on my pupil. Everytime my eyelid passed over it it hurt like hell. It does not hurt anymore but I can still see the mark. Full face shield from now on when I use that stuff. Wear your PPE guys!

28. Flathead Johnny

Flathead Johnny
    from MA

that really is amazing, nature gives us some pretty cool back up systems, even having two of most of everything in our body is to give us redundancy incase we loose one, a second liver or heart would have been a nice touch....who know millions of years down the line.....you are one strong dude, one small speck of grinding material can make us miserable, a stick in the eye is beyond what i could imagine but it is amazing that even after that the body can have a chance to recover to some extent

29. Flathead Johnny

Flathead Johnny
    from MA

ya i hope people reading this thread will learn from our mistakes and see that even safety google are not enough, we also need face shields!

30. I use a full face shield all the time...it's attached to a goofy hard-hat...

Still the odd piece of metal chunk or rust dust will find its way into one of my eyes.

My buddy says "that's what you get for having big beautiful eyes" ...lol