Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 9/11

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Deuce Daddy Don, Sep 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iron infantry

iron infantry

i was in my auto tech class prepering for this life i live now. we watched it on tv almost the whole day.

2. Model T1

Model T1

Never forget those who died and those who still suffer. And please don't forget about those Bastards who did it, and those Bastards still killing Americans. Those same Bastards who may run this world in a few years !

3. Zombie Hot Rod

Zombie Hot Rod
    from New York

Watching it on TV. . . there was smoke on my block, those buildings were smoldering for a long time.

NYC was very surreal for the week following Sept. 11th. No one on the street, no trains running, etc. . .

Then we had a couple of months of fake patriotism before the guy who was waving me on in traffic, with a flag on his car while singing "God Bless America", started cutting me off again and giving me the finger.

4. Salty

Salty
    from Florida

I got drug out of a helicopter flight simulator and the base got put into lockdown mode....except forthe helicopter crews that were fetching hellfire missiles and our machine guns to kit the helos out....we flew armed helicopter flights for weeks OVER AMERICAN SOIL.

For me that was scarier than actually flying combat missions.

5. Iceberg460

Iceberg460

I was in 10th grade English class. They turned on the TV after the 2ed plane hit. I didn't think it was real at first. Will never forget that day...

6. Jimm56

Jimm56

I was on board a plane en route from Houston to Toledo for a meeting. The stewardess announced we were making an emergency landing in Little Rock because a plane had hit the WTC. Little rock couldn't take us, so we wound up at Nashville, last plane on the ground. Found a phone in the (empty) terminal & called home.
    The airline got us a hotel room where I finally got to see the buildings fall. Rented the last available vehicle in Nashville and we drove back nonstop to Houston. Got home around 10AM and watched it all over again.

7. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

I was working at Discount Tire Co here in Flint at the busiest store in the area. Everything stopped when we heard it on the radio. Got a call from the MI head office to get a TV in the customer lobby ASAP. We sat watching in utter disbelief. Then we all took turns throughout the day going to the gas station to fill up before it hiked.

8. We watched the smoke from the roof of my building and it was clearly visible from as far as the Great South Bay bridges. The towers were visible when they were standing.

I had people who worked with my wife's sister at Suffolk Community College staying with me for a few days until they got back into NYC. The LIRR was running into Jamaica and probably Brooklyn, nothing in and out of Manhattan. I had to pick up my wife's brother in Queens, he hoofed it out of NYC (union electrician) over the Queensboro bridge.

For days the only planes we saw were fighter jets. I did see a tanker land at Republic with the fueling drogue trailing behind it.

Bob

9. -Brent-

-Brent-

I remember lots of stuff from that day. I was watching the news when they said a small plane hit the first tower and then the feed was onto the buildings where we saw the rest unfold.

My friend, a courier, was one the 3k. A buddy of mine lost his uncle (a hell of a guy we drag raced with at Englishtown) whom was in the fire dept.

It was a day that I grew up, for sure, and started using common sense. A lot of things don't make sense about that day. As well, I started recognizing the way many of us blindly believe things. I still wonder how the news reporter in France got the word that tower 3 fell twenty minutes before it fell. It was a source of confusion for the local affiliates in CT. I remember them questioning it back and forth and looking for someone that knew.

I remember, too, how nice everyone was to eachother for the weeks that followed. Riding Metro North into the city was the most pleasant, polite, and awkward for months afterward.

I wish I could be blissfully ignorant but there's too much about it that doesn't make sense.

10. Jim Bouchard

Jim Bouchard

Thank You Deuce Daddy Don for this thread!

"We will never forget" "343"

11. hankthebigdog

hankthebigdog
    from oklahoma

teaching an 8th grade math class ot our christian school. It was a tragic day in history. Pleas, never forget those who gave their lives

12. That evening here on the HAMB was an interesting time.

13. My neighbor down the street was in one of those firehouses that took heavy losses, only he was at a family funeral that day and got there after the fact.

Someone else I know was a cleaner for the city and was scheduled to be in Tower 2, he had surgery the previous week and was still out.

Strokes of luck. I knew a few police officers and firemen who retired shortly after the event.

Bob

14. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I was building elevators. there was hardly any other trades in the building, just me and my helper. someone mentioned a plane crashed at the world trade center but I had no idea what it really was until I got home.

15. I was asleep in my barracks when another Marine woke me and told me that a plane had hit the world trade center. I got up and as we walked into his room the I watched the second plane hit live. I turned and walked back to my room, as I got to the door the plane hit the pentagon and I knew that we would be at war soon. This many years later and here I sit in that foreign country, Afghanistan. I was part of the Afhgan invasion and now I'm part of the closure.

16. Was on my way to the body shop that I worked at and heard all on the radio in my truck. got to work and did not get much done that day.

On a side note I was at ground zero this last thursday while I was on vacation. Unless you have been there you have no idea how big the foot print was of those building where the fountains are now. It has become a very quiet place in the middle of a very large city. I think they have done one hell of a job building it back to not only honor the victims but also show the world how to get back up when you get knocked down. the muesem is not open as of yet. I will be going back in a few years to see the muesem and see how the rest of the site turns out. If you never have been there you need to go and see it.

17. jchav62

jchav62

I was working for the Nevada D.O.T. at the time. We were doing a survey near Elko, Nevada...staying at a Motel 6. After hearing the news, my boss and I sat at the restaurant where we would eat breakfast everyday, watching everything on TV. After a while we headed out to the jobsite... after a very short discussion we went back to Elko, got in our personal vehicles and headed back home... south to Vegas (Henderson). I remember telling him "If this is the start of WWIII, to hell with this bridge survey we're doing. Let's go home to our families."

God Bless all the victims of 9/11 and their families... God Bless our troops!

AND GOD BLESS AMERICA!!! NEVER FORGET!!!

18. 07travis

07travis

I was in 7th Grade, one of the teachers had to come in and explain to us what had happend, and we all sat glued to the TV the rest of the day...

19. dirtybirdpunk

dirtybirdpunk

I was passing through the living room @ my moms house (21 years old at the time and living in the spare room behind the garage) My step dad had the tv on and said a plane had hit a tower, we were watching for a minute when plane number 2 hit, I thought they somehow had video of plane 1 hitting and thought it was an instant replay. I proceeded out the door and onto my way to work at LAX (putting a paging system in a cargo building). Heard the updates about it being a second plane on the radio. My mom called me and told me the towers had fallen and other planes were crashing all over. I proceeded to continue working until I heard automobile traffic disappear (they were closing all the major streets around the airport) then I heard the jet engines powering down one at a time (from the planes sitting at the gates) The airport police ordered us to leave the jobsite and my boss instructed us to go home. I decided to take the freeway home which is also the main freeway that takes all the trucks in and out of the port of L.A., what a mistake, I think they all got called back to port because i was stuck on the freeway for an hour and a half due to all the trucks, listening to it all unfold on the am radio in my 61 t-bird....

20. rustednutz

rustednutz
    from tulsa, ok

We all died a little bit that day. Our innocence, trust, feeling of security and enjoyment of our many freedoms also diminished as we watched the towers come down. Can anyone, anywhere, in any free country in the world say that their lives have not been touched or changed by the actions of the terrorists of 9/11? Do we look at strangers that are different from us and wonder about their thoughts, their beliefs, their intentions? Have we not all given up some freedom for a little more "security"? The actions of the few have changed the lives of many. I am one who can not and will not forget those that lost their lives on that fateful day. I will also remember those that perpetrated those acts and will continue to stand against them and their truly misguided philosophy.

21. kahunah

kahunah
    from Virginia

I was at a friend's body shop. I knew something was wrong as soon as they said a plane hit the tower.

I grew up in Brooklyn. I watched the towers being built from the window of my second grade classroom. As a teenager a friend and I used to roller skate in the lobby until a security guard would catch us and toss us out. They were incredibly huge buildings and if you never saw them in person it just can't be explained. I can remember sitting outside and looking up at how far those arches were above the ground and how the buildings disappeared into the sky when you looked up.

My father retired from the NYPD in September of 2002. At his retirement we went to Ground Zero. Walking out of the Chambers Street station was surreal. The Post Office was no longer in the shadows. A giant crater and debris was all that remained. Heart wrenching pictures and notes lined the fences around the site. Sorrow and anger were intertwined.

This morning both off and on duty personnel gathered at the LODD memorial at the Fire House. We had a moment of silence for our fallen brothers and their loved ones. The Marquis displayed the message "Never Forget". I know I never will.

22. I haven't gone to the site yet. I might this fall, the whole thing bums me out. We all watched it being built too, but in the newspapers. My first time there was in 1976 for my 21st birthday and they let us out on the observation deck for a short while, as it was very windy and late in the day. My last time was in 1998 or so and the deck was closed for some reason.

My wife just dug out some pictures of my kids in front of the towers in July of 2001 that her sister took, kind of eerie to see them there.

Bob

23. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

I still hope anybody who had any involvement in the planing and/or carring out of that day get there date with ole sparky!:mad:

24. moonman29

moonman29

I woke up to the news, my brother already had the TV on. I remember going to my cal class in college and all we did was talk about it as we watch the coverage on the tv. We all had a moment of silence for them. The entire campus was a quite basal. I will never forget, I get all chocked up and teared eyed just thinking about it. GOD bless all those that perished and their families.

25. -DouG-

-DouG-

I was driving to pick my Dad up after he had some early morning oral surgery. I was listening to the Howard Stern show at the time and was (and still am) impressed how his whole crew dropped the silliness and became serious news crew...

Today was an uneasy feeling coming into the city as a U joint went in my Jeep last night and my dog was glued to me all morning... was wondering if these were signs to stay home.

And on a related note, the publishing company i'm working for is to move into the Freedom Tower in 2014... I really have mixed feelings about it.

It's also overwhelming that 1000 plus people (ground zero responders) have since died due to complications resulting from that day... and thousands more still under care or watch.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2012
  26. KIRK!

KIRK!

I had called in sick from work. I was WAY more sick having to watch that day unfold on TV.

27. I was watching my office go up in smoke.

Pentagon room 5D453 (5th floor, D ring, 4th corridor).

28. Today is our 41st wedding anniversary. That day I was at work in CT. and on the phone with my son who was trapped by smoke on an upper floor in a building next to World Trade Center. He tried to get out when the first Tower came down and had to back in the building because of the smoke. He finally tied wet rags around his face and got out. He walked on the east side highway as fighter jets circled. He made it out of the city but I know he has changed since that day.This day is always depressing for my wife and I.

29. Nonstop

Nonstop
    from CA

I was asleep from working the night before. I was awoken by my mom, in tears, telling me to turn on the T.V. Was waiting for the call outs, unsure what I would be doing. I spent much of the day trying to figure what I can do to help as an American.

To this day I have never been able to bring myself to watch the plane crash into the second building - too sickening.

We SHOULD never forget, and most of us will not, but we are being desensitized to it. It is being watered down - WHY? It was a HATE crime - why are we being taught not to be ANGRY about it?

Not much I can say that has not been said.....God bless America - the FINEST DAMN COUNTRY ON EARTH!!!!! (With all due respect to our foreign friends of course).

30. cheveey57

cheveey57

Living it. Luckily I was home from work that day due to a Drs. Appointment. Got home and got a call from a friend telling me what happened and I thought he was bullshitting,until I turned on the TV and saw the second plane hit.
    Never forget and never forgive.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.